is a range rover a "girl" car?

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
i want a luxury suv, but most luxury suvs are for older people (lexus, infinitis, etc). i'm a college student so i would like something you see young people drive. the range rover seems like a good fit, however i see mostly females drive the car. i was also looking at escalades but they seem tacky (like you're trying to show off).

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Get an older Range Rover – then you are fine. Or perhaps a Defender. Whatever the case, you either are going to fall into the "soccer mom" stereotype or the showing off - or both.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
You're a college student and wanting a luxury car that will give you maintenance hell( Land Rovers are not the most reliable vehicles out there....).

If you need a SUV, then I suggest something along the lines of the Equinox, RAV4, etc. Maybe a Highlander, but unless you can shed more light on your needs, shouldn't go any bigger.

Reactions: npolly0212

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
You're a college student and wanting a luxury car that will give you maintenance hell( Land Rovers are not the most reliable vehicles out there....).
Top Gear did recently prove that despite being the most unreliable car in the world. If you want to go through Bolivia from the Amazon to the Ocean – use the most unreliable Land Rover in the history of the company.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I do not think Range Rovers are "girl" cars. They are nice SUVs. However, I think you're going in the wrong direction. Most college students do not have an excess of money. The gas bill for an SUV adds up quickly. You really should keep this in mind. Unless you live in an area that receives a tremendous amount of snow for many months of the year, I think you should reconsider your choice of car. I'm speaking first hand. I'm in college right now and have an SUV. Granted, it is not a luxury car like the ones you have in mind, but it is still an SUV and gets terrible gas mileage. If I was in the position you are in and had enough money to consider purchasing a luxury SUV I would buy a used luxury sedan or coupe instead. A mid 2000s Audi A4 of BMW 3 Series would be fantastic.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The word is "you're" and no, a Range Rover isn't a "girl" car.
As for the need for such a car as a college student, well I guess you have more money than sense or you're enjoying spending mom and dad's money. Either way, you're showing off in any of the cars you mentioned.

Get a 1997 or older Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX 450. They run great, live forever, and they're cool as hell, imho.
He doesn't want to be cool, he's like everyone to know just how much money he has at his disposal. ;)

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Unless your parents are loaded I would be a bit more sensible on your car choice, the economy is not that great for incoming grads yet, so if you are going to be stretching your dollars make sure you are willing to live in the damn thing. ;)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I hope he focuses on college just as much as he focuses on how awesome he can look.

what if he earned it though? he may be in college but who knows what this kid has accomplished
Earned it? I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with a teenager earning a $50k+ car. Perhaps he did but is it at all necessary? No.

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
Earned it? I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with a teenager earning a $50k+ car. Perhaps he did but is it at all necessary? No.
meh, not all college students are teenagers

for the record i'm neither for nor against the OP getting an expensive car, it doesn't effect me in any way.

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
I do not think Range Rovers are "girl" cars. They are nice SUVs. However, I think you're going in the wrong direction. Most college students do not have an excess of money. The gas bill for an SUV adds up quickly. You really should keep this in mind. Unless you live in an area that receives a tremendous amount of snow for many months of the year, I think you should reconsider your choice of car. I'm speaking first hand. I'm in college right now and have an SUV. Granted, it is not a luxury car like the ones you have in mind, but it is still an SUV and gets terrible gas mileage. If I was in the position you are in and had enough money to consider purchasing a luxury SUV I would buy a used luxury sedan or coupe instead. A mid 2000s Audi A4 of BMW 3 Series would be fantastic.
yeah, i was looking at audis, but i want something bigger than the car i have now. i travel across state alot so something more spacious would be great.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
meh, not all college students are teenagers

for the record i'm neither for nor against the OP getting an expensive car, it doesn't effect me in any way.
You caught me before my quick edit. You are right, not all college students are teenagers. I am not for or against it as well, it is his parent's pocketbook not mine. I just think that he sure has a great deal of focus on the car and his image while driving it rather than the more important thing like gas, insurance, necessity etc.

yeah, i was looking at audis, but i want something bigger than the car i have now. i travel across state alot so something more spacious would be great.
You travel across the state frequently, a solo driver and you want more room? Hell, get the A6 since funds seem to be unlimited to you.

And before you ask, Audi A6s aren't chick cars either. Do you live on the Jersey Shore by chance?

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
You caught me before my quick edit. You are right, not all college students are teenagers. I am not for or against it as well, it is his parent's pocketbook not mine. I just think that he sure has a great deal of focus on the car and his image while driving it rather than the more important thing like gas, insurance, necessity etc.

[...]
i agree that he may be focusing too much on his image and solely the price of the car as well. i think it's safe to say insurance for a young person with a luxury SUV would probably be pretty damn pricey. just because he (with or without the help of family) may be able to pay for it all doesn't mean it's justified.

back to the OP... the image of you in your car may be somewhat important but like jessica said you should also weigh in other factors: MPG, insurance, reliability since you travel a lot.

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009

You travel across the state frequently, a solo driver and you want more room? Hell, get the A6 since funds seem to be unlimited to you.

And before you ask, Audi A6s aren't chick cars either. Do you live on the Jersey Shore by chance?
no, i'm moving to austin later this month. i'd like to travel with friends to my hometown or to the beach every couple of months, so i'd prefer a more spacious car.

anyways, i'm a bit picky when it comes to car brands so it's been a very difficult process choosing a vehicle. :(

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
People, he asked if it was a feminine car? Not for people to debate wether he deserves/needs. :rolleyes:

And no, I don not think it is a feminine car. Although I would stay away from the LR2, it looks wimpy. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.