is a range rover a "girl" car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dreary, Jan 4, 2010.

1. dreary macrumors regular

i want a luxury suv, but most luxury suvs are for older people (lexus, infinitis, etc). i'm a college student so i would like something you see young people drive. the range rover seems like a good fit, however i see mostly females drive the car. i was also looking at escalades but they seem tacky (like you're trying to show off).

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If you're not offroading with a range rover, then that is also showing off.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How is a Range Rover not showing off? Why do you need a luxury SUV in college anyways?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Get an older Range Rover – then you are fine. Or perhaps a Defender. Whatever the case, you either are going to fall into the "soccer mom" stereotype or the showing off - or both.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You're a college student and wanting a luxury car that will give you maintenance hell( Land Rovers are not the most reliable vehicles out there....).

If you need a SUV, then I suggest something along the lines of the Equinox, RAV4, etc. Maybe a Highlander, but unless you can shed more light on your needs, shouldn't go any bigger.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Top Gear did recently prove that despite being the most unreliable car in the world. If you want to go through Bolivia from the Amazon to the Ocean – use the most unreliable Land Rover in the history of the company.

7. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I do not think Range Rovers are "girl" cars. They are nice SUVs. However, I think you're going in the wrong direction. Most college students do not have an excess of money. The gas bill for an SUV adds up quickly. You really should keep this in mind. Unless you live in an area that receives a tremendous amount of snow for many months of the year, I think you should reconsider your choice of car. I'm speaking first hand. I'm in college right now and have an SUV. Granted, it is not a luxury car like the ones you have in mind, but it is still an SUV and gets terrible gas mileage. If I was in the position you are in and had enough money to consider purchasing a luxury SUV I would buy a used luxury sedan or coupe instead. A mid 2000s Audi A4 of BMW 3 Series would be fantastic.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Get a 1997 or older Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX 450. They run great, live forever, and they're cool as hell, imho.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The word is "you're" and no, a Range Rover isn't a "girl" car.
    As for the need for such a car as a college student, well I guess you have more money than sense or you're enjoying spending mom and dad's money. Either way, you're showing off in any of the cars you mentioned.

He doesn't want to be cool, he's like everyone to know just how much money he has at his disposal. ;)

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Those pink Mary Kay cadillacs are very masculine--get one of those.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Enough said.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're in college and buying a Range Rover? If you really want to drive something that most young people drive, go get a used Honda Civic or something.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Unless your parents are loaded I would be a bit more sensible on your car choice, the economy is not that great for incoming grads yet, so if you are going to be stretching your dollars make sure you are willing to live in the damn thing. ;)

14. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Either to show off, or to do this:
    [​IMG]

Although I suspect it's not the latter... :rolleyes:

15. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

what if he earned it though? he may be in college but who knows what this kid has accomplished

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I hope he focuses on college just as much as he focuses on how awesome he can look.

Earned it? I'm sorry but I simply don't agree with a teenager earning a $50k+ car. Perhaps he did but is it at all necessary? No.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. A Range Rover for a college student is over the top.

18. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

meh, not all college students are teenagers

for the record i'm neither for nor against the OP getting an expensive car, it doesn't effect me in any way.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Based on the vibe I get from you, the RAV 4 sounds about right.

Attached Files:

20. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i was looking at audis, but i want something bigger than the car i have now. i travel across state alot so something more spacious would be great.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You caught me before my quick edit. You are right, not all college students are teenagers. I am not for or against it as well, it is his parent's pocketbook not mine. I just think that he sure has a great deal of focus on the car and his image while driving it rather than the more important thing like gas, insurance, necessity etc.

You travel across the state frequently, a solo driver and you want more room? Hell, get the A6 since funds seem to be unlimited to you.

And before you ask, Audi A6s aren't chick cars either. Do you live on the Jersey Shore by chance?

22. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i agree that he may be focusing too much on his image and solely the price of the car as well. i think it's safe to say insurance for a young person with a luxury SUV would probably be pretty damn pricey. just because he (with or without the help of family) may be able to pay for it all doesn't mean it's justified.

back to the OP... the image of you in your car may be somewhat important but like jessica said you should also weigh in other factors: MPG, insurance, reliability since you travel a lot.

23. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

no, i'm moving to austin later this month. i'd like to travel with friends to my hometown or to the beach every couple of months, so i'd prefer a more spacious car.

anyways, i'm a bit picky when it comes to car brands so it's been a very difficult process choosing a vehicle. :(

24. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

People, he asked if it was a feminine car? Not for people to debate wether he deserves/needs. :rolleyes:

And no, I don not think it is a feminine car. Although I would stay away from the LR2, it looks wimpy. :cool:

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

He also said he wanted to drive a car young people drive.