Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Do you have kids? I like the feel of the 6+ without a case but having a 1 year old and a 4 year old make a case necessary for me.

Yes. Got kids. They know not to touch my stuff. And your screen is still vulnerable with a case.

----------

you do know you're a special case. most people drop things they're not picture perfect.

Again. Cases have nothing to do with the screen. False sense of security.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
you do know you're a special case. most people drop things they're not picture perfect.

I have dropped each of my phones once, and I do remember vividly each time its happened. I wouldn't say I'm perfect, but I guess I'm in the minority

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
My iPhone 6 Plus has been naked since day 1 (September 19 around 12:30pm PST) and it is still in perfect condition. Has not been dropped or scratched.

sjs314

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
My 6 plus was naked less than 24 hours, I could not wait to get to the store the next morning to purchase a case for it. I would love to walk around with my pretty gold phone naked but not crazy enough to take the chance of having it slip out of my hand.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
That's an expensive case. And you may have to buy it multiple times ($99, plus the $79 fee per replacement).

It really depends on the person, I think. I've had 6 iPhones so far since 2007 and never broken any of them, or really even had any meaningful damage. Maybe I'm due. The larger size and price tag of the Plus convinced me I should probably have some insurance just in case, but I don't really expect to use it.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I have just a 6 and since I don't have carpeting I immediately got a case for my 6. iPhone 6 is definitely the most slippery iPhone yet. I can only imagine how slippery the 6 plus is.

I've seen quite a few risk takers walking around on the streets without a case for their iPhone 6/6 plus. I keep thinking to myself, "these are throwing away their money. That thing is going to eventually hit the ground if they keep going naked "

If you want to show it off just buy a clear tpu case for it.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
mine too. scratch free.

do you have sand in your pockets?

in reply to the OP:

have had my 6 Plus naked since the 26th Sept. It's almost a crime covering that beauty with a case. it will ruin the experience of the seamless screen.

I'll put a case on only when i go to the gym or when my phone is in my sports bag while I'm playing football.
He must live at the beach. Maybe it was in the pocket of his wetsuit.

----------

Naked here! Got AppleCare and plan on using it. :)

If, by "using" it, you mean abusing it, that's not cool.

----------

I'd like to, but I'm a little nervous about it. Carried all of my previous iPhones naked. Right now I've got a Spigen bumper on my iPhone 6 and it makes it a bit less prone to slipping in my hand. I'm still on the fence about getting a 6+ and I'm even more worried about that one.

I love the feel of swiping your finger across the screen of a case-less 6 because of the way the screen's edges are rounded (and because of the extra smooth coating on the screen), but I'd prefer that the back was made out of a grippy rubbery material.

Does anyone make a stick-on type of skin that adds grippiness without thickness? I know that Spigen (and others) make ultra-thin hard cases, but those add a lip to the front that I don't want.
The spigen air skin doesn't add a lip, is extremely thin but doesn't really improve the grip. It really only protects the back and edges from scratches. It's like not having a case, but not having to worry about scratches on the back.

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
But seriously, I would never do it. The Apple leather case is slim enough that even in instances where I would previously have gone caseless with my 4S, I can still use it.
yeah with my other phones I went without a case but with the 6 gold, I got a nice leather(brown) case and it feels really nice in my hands and fortunately doesn't add any extra weight to the phone.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
If, by "using" it, you mean abusing it, that's not cool.

Agreed. The case-free types that 'abuse' applecare will selfishly cause the replacement cost to go up for everyone, even the good customers who use it as intended.

DigitalPharmcst

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Bull City, North Carolina
I have a ballistic metal case on mine, its not too bulky and complements the phone pretty nicely. I won't let my phone go completely naked, although I do love groping it when I take it out of the case every now and then...

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
Agreed. The case-free types that 'abuse' applecare will selfishly cause the replacement cost to go up for everyone, even the good customers who use it as intended.

Surely you're not saying that merely going without a case is abuse? It's not like there are no limits or deductibles in place.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Surely you're not saying that merely going without a case is abuse?

No, but buying insurance (i.e. applecare) knowing in advance you are going to smash the phone and get a replacement because your case free phone has some scratches is.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't have a 6+, just a 6 but I am running without a case. Well I do own a spigen case, but I only use it when doing outdoor stuff (Going on a fishing trip this upcoming weekend, so it'll be out then.) I have dropped my iPhone less than a handful of times over the past 5 years of ownership. Only twice on hard surfaces. Never shattered a screen or visible scratches (Only those micro-scratches that you have to turn the display off and shine a bright light source to find.)

With a 6+ I'd probably be using a case. The case on my 6 actually makes using it one handed quite a bit more difficult which is the main reason I don't like using one.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I paid full-price for my iPhone 6 and have a $10 Spigen case on it. However, it is not easy to text with 1 hand and I am thinking of just getting a full body skin for it since I can text 1 handed without the case. But I am a bit cautious about it since I paid almost $800 for it. AppleCare+ basically assumes 1 replacement for $179 which I think is kinda pricey. But is that the price I'd have to pay for full functionality and peace of mind? Hmmm....

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Im rocking my 6 with no case and just a Ghost Armor screen protector, which I love. I got Applecare + on it, this phone is way too beautiful to put a case on it imo, bought Applecare+ for peace of mind, and knowing I can get a replacement for around $80 if anything happens besides theft

Much much better then having to pay alot more if you happen to bust your phone, Applecare + is awesome, and it's also for 2 years, AND boosts your 1 year limited warranty to 2 years

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
^^^^ I did the same thing. I put mine in Ghost Armor all the way around. It adds grip and protects it from scratches and nics/dings. I've always had the black phones before and black cases. But now with it being gold, I just don't want to cover it. I added the AC+ as well so I don't feel I need to be soooo careful with it as I'm pretty careful anyway.

jerparker1

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
Southeast, Iowa
Cases have nothing to do with the screen. False sense of security.

Do you think a phone without a case would have a better chance of surviving a drop versus a phone with a case? I'd like to think the phone with a case would have a better chance of the screen not breaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.