Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex2364

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
I just upgraded from an iPhone XS to 13 Pro and didn’t realize how big of a camera bump this is until using it for a day. With my XS in a case, the camera bump was entirely gone and the phone lays completely flat on the table or on any number of my wireless chargers. Now with my 13 Pro in a case, the camera lip is massive and it doesn’t lay flat on any of my wireless chargers. I have to make sure it’s positioned correctly so it’s still charging. I’m contemplating going back to my XS and waiting for the 14 since one of the rumors is that the camera bump will be gone. Am I crazy?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Every year for the last 10 years, iPhone lenses have for the most part gotten bigger and bigger and bigger. There’s zero reason to expect that the iPhone 14 pro models won’t have large lenses protruding out of the back too just like the 13. Camera improvement is the main selling point on every new iPhone model.
If the case was extended to reach out to the lip of the lenses, the phone would be massive- like a brick. So that’ll never happen either.
Like it or not — large extruding lenses bulging out of the back of a pro iPhone are here forever.

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
The thing that bothers me is it now protrudes past the case. Hoping the cameras don’t get scratched from setting it down.
Get a better case.

Total Respray

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Most folks probably put a case on their phone which makes the bump a non issue.
Not quite. Even the iPhone 13 cases have a lip, which makes them unsteady when lying flat. IIRC Apple said when they introduced the camera bump that it was a non-issue because most people used cases. Yet now even the cases have a bump.

Its not something I choose to live with so sticking with my old iPhone. YMMV.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I just upgraded from an iPhone XS to 13 Pro and didn’t realize how big of a camera bump this is until using it for a day. With my XS in a case, the camera bump was entirely gone and the phone lays completely flat on the table or on any number of my wireless chargers. Now with my 13 Pro in a case, the camera lip is massive and it doesn’t lay flat on any of my wireless chargers. I have to make sure it’s positioned correctly so it’s still charging. I’m contemplating going back to my XS and waiting for the 14 since one of the rumors is that the camera bump will be gone. Am I crazy?
<chuckle>

With the introduction of the iPhone 6/6+ I have been referring to the fugly camera boil as the fugly camera boil on these forums ever since. One of the iPhone models even looked like Bender from Futurama.

There have even been users who've inferred that I should give it a rest already. :D

I guess I didn't make enough posts about it or you'd have known at least one person who didn't like it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbareren

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I haven’t used a case since iPhone 8, that’s also around the time I started buying apple care plus.

When I place my phone on a flat surface, it can be a bit unstable. But it’s fine, I’m used to it by now and it doesn’t bother me…

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Most folks probably put a case on their phone which makes the bump a non issue.
And some folks have suggested that Apple purposely has the bump in order to drive sales of cases.

I don't believe that though - in the same way that you think putting a case on a phone makes the bump a non-issue.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
The lenses don’t appear to protrude beyond the cutout on my Apple silicone case, the issue is that there’s nothing at the other end of the case to level it up, so it rocks on a flat surface. I must admit coming from the XS Max I initially didn’t like this - I’ve already accepted it for what it is. If it really bothers someone, you could probably attach some kind of improvised stopper at the other three corners of the case to stop this.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
You’re certainly not alone in your dislike for these ugly camera bumps. Hoping the rumours for the 14 are true.
if those rumours will become true, i bet you will complain about how thick and heavy the pro models will be, and will be not just you...but the whole world...for the camera to be flush in todays camera lenses and all the tech, think about an iphone 14 pro max around 11mm in thickness and an smartphone with around 300 grams..God i hope not, today is the best way for compromises...no wonder everybody is doing the same thing

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.