Is anyone else getting bored

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMane, Aug 10, 2012.

1. MacMane macrumors regular

iOS has been the same since 2007. Unless there is drastic improvement in hardware on the next gen iPad, upgrading will be a lot less exciting. Android 4.1 (jellybean) looks like a breath of fresh air on the nexus 7, especially with project butter making the OS more responsive than the previous versions of android, which IMO made android a horrible experience. Anybody else feeling less enthusiastic about upgrading to the newest iPad next year knowing that not much has changed in ios 6?

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

a little yea ...

i still think that the iPad is the best tablet but the OS especially on the iPhone looks and feels dated

used a friends nexus on jelly bean a few days ago and i loved the UI, it looks and feels very polished and "up-to-date". i also love "google now" or whatever its called.

i'm just waiting to see what the new iPhone brings to the table and decide after, i'll still have the iPad and my "old" 4S to fill my iOS needs after all. but change and trying something new can be good too ;)

3. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I have no use for change, just for the sake of change. Do you get bored with your hammer, "these sciccors never change". As long as it continues to function well, I can't see the "it's boring" argument.

4. bushido Suspended

bushido

"hammer" takes it a bit far, i'd compare it more to my closet, i'm not gonna wear the same things after a year either

5. number84 macrumors 6502

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd wear the same things year after year. I'm not bored at all with iOS.

7. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

There are people out there who do not like major UI changes because they have to learn a new process to accomplish the same task. More than likely the majority of buyers think the same way.

Meanwhile the minority of people who want the change are more than likely tech savvy enough to jailbreak their device and install any theme they want.

Seems like keeping it as is lets everyone win.

8. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Awww, it's s fashion thing. I guess I can see that. Just not for me :)

9. WindWaker macrumors regular

About a year ago my setup was an iP4, the iPad 2, and a MacBook Pro. I, too, was tired of the lack of customization on iOS, as well as the underwhelming screen size. So, day 1 it was available, I picked up a Galaxy Nexus. It's amazing, but I'll be going back to iOS come the iPhone 5. The Apple ecosystem is just too tempting, especially with iOS 6/ ML. If I didn't have a Mac, I'd probably more on the Chrome/ Google side of things, but OS X is just too awesome to leave.

So, my suggestion would be to try out a relatively cheap Android device, such as the Nexus 7, see how you like it, and go from there. The 'wow' factor came to an end for me relatively quickly-- mainly because of the lack of iCloud :apple:

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No I don't get bored

The OS is simply a spring board into the next great app. If I truly got bored with the look of iOS i'd simply jailbreak and customize that way but at this point I don't want to do that.

I'd rather push the envelope on what I can do with my phone. I feel like i'm getting closer but there's still some things that need to improve (input speed, sharing data etc) for me.

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Hasn't iOS gotten some major updates since it originally came out? Like multitasking and the notification center? Seems like you're bored with the basic layout of the thing and I would point to operating systems like Windows which stayed basically the same for 20 years and nobody complained.

12. voronoi macrumors member

I just wish there could be some sort of quick shortcut function, at least for frequently accessed settings or actions where I'd have to go digging through menus (e.g. checking data usage, turning wifi on/off, writing a new email). Ideally it'd be hidden in the notification center, which can be quickly pulled down from any app.

13. Che Castro macrumors 603

Sbsettings my friend

14. irDigital0l Guest

The iPad could use some new UI changes that take advantage of its display.

One thing is Multitasking.

Would love to see multiple apps be able to be opened at once and a Mission Control like system.

Same with Notification Center.

Should be able to text someone or reply to an email right from notification center

15. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i am looking forward to better multitasking but to be honest, every time i start wishing for a new UI i am reminded about how rock solid iOS is performance wise. i've had an iPhone 4S since November and my iPad 2 since May and i have never had an app crash and i haven't had to reset either device since i bought it brand new.

unless apple can promise a flawless experience for their next UI, i'll choose to stick with this. coming from a blackberry, iOS is heaven and the BB OS was hell

16. brentsg macrumors 68040

I bought a Nexus 7 just to mess around with a different OS, but no.. not bored.

Like someone said above, I don't a new OS when the current one works great.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I was a bit bired of iOS so I went with a Galaxy Nexus phone. It's a great device and I m happy I finally got to try out an excellent Android phone (had a few okay ones before but did not enjoy them).

I will be back to iOS though with the iPhone 5. Android is fun and customizable to your hearts content but iOS is extremely more polished in so many ways.

I agree though, get a Nexus 7 tablet. It's a cheap way to check out the latest and greatest Android device and OS. I have one but I enjoy my 1st gen iPad more so mainly because all the great tablet specific apps. Not too many tablet specific apps that I have found. Good news is the phone apps don't look too bad (Twitter for example) because the screen size is only a few inches more than the Galaxy Note for instance.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

The problem with mentioning Android or Jelly Bean in an Apple crowd is that it gets a knee jerk negative reaction and they end up missing the point. Its not about wanting to switch or jealousy, it's about seeing an utterly crappy product like Android 1.0 take gigantic leaps to get to Jelly Bean while iOS continues to take tiny stepsand then have them rely on the excuse makers to justify why a crippled Siri or non-google Maps are so awesome.

Every Apple customer knows that this company can do amazing things so this "boredom" is due to us knowing that Apple could also make gigantic leaps but are choosing not to because their success allows them to limit themselves since they'll sell a billion products anyway. (This is also why I hope all those questionable design patents get tossed out. Apple is a better company when they let their products talk rather than their lawyers)

19. voronoi macrumors member

I should clarify, I'd like to have it integrated without jailbreaking. Although once my warranty's up I won't really care. :p

20. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Yes, iOS is a glorified App launcher. There is nothing else to it. And while the Apps are important, Apple can't rely on just them forever.

21. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

A hammer is a barebones tool that has been perfected for thousands of years. A modern mobile OS is anything but. iOS isn't perfect and still has ways to improve. Some tasks (e.g. setting an alarm, adjusting brightness, bluetooth toggle, checking weather, etc.) take too many steps to execute. IMO, iOS needs more glanceable information, either through enhanced widgeting system (perhaps integrated into notification center) or by way of more interactive app icons such as the calendar icon.

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

If all I did was stare at the home screen, I might be bored.

As it turns out, I like my apps more than staring at the home screen, so I am rarely bored.

23. number84 macrumors 6502

No point to wait for your warranty to be up to jailbreak. It's harmless and a piece of cake to restore to factory iOS should you need to take it in for warranty work.

24. Skika macrumors 68030

No.

I use my iPhone and iPad to do things. I dont spend my time on the home screen.