Is anyone else getting bored

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
ipad is a great device, but it is too limited for me and I am really looking foward to Surface, with x86 programs, a real os where i can store and organize docments, and a true wacom pen functionality for design and math. Meantime, i pad is an excellent ereader and ocw viewer--and i never tire of things that always work!
Bwahahahhahhah ahahahhahhahahaha ah

"Man those Macs are toys...I'm happy here with my C Prompt"

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Bwahahahhahhah ahahahhahhahahaha ah

"Man those Macs are toys...I'm happy here with my C Prompt"
He does have a point about file organisation - iPads are becoming mainstays in people's productivity, I think we should be able to work with files easier.

Surface should technically be better for engineers and designers. Will wait to see how things progress, I'm sure Apple have a big productivity update coming in future for the iPad also.

For the majority of people though, iPad should be the winner hands down.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
He does have a point about file organisation - iPads are becoming mainstays in people's productivity, I think we should be able to work with files easier.
He does have a point. The fact that we still have to worry about manually managing our files is a part and parcel the failure of computer science.

Hundreds of years ago they were stuffing documents into folders and then into cabinets.

So for all of our nano technology we can't seem to figure out how to make the computer work for us so that we don't have to manage files and folders?

I think a more human touch needs to be added to this equation.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I have no use for change, just for the sake of change. Do you get bored with your hammer, "these sciccors never change". As long as it continues to function well, I can't see the "it's boring" argument.
I disagree.
The iPad is primarily an entertainment device. It's perfectly legitimate to want a new UI making a better experience, and we all know that's far from impossible from a technical point of view. So why not? OS X has seen UI refreshes too over the years.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I'm not so sure I'm following you here. In fact I think you're completely off base with your opinion. As an owner of both OS'es, I've discovered plenty of reasons to enjoy both Android and iOS. Android, like iOS is exactly the same with their refinement/point updates ... ICS is truly a BIG step up from Froyo or Gingerbread, but Jelly Bean from ICS-not so much! They're ALL approaching maturity in relation to their initial '1.0' release 4 years ago
Actually, that's exactly it. It's essentially the tortoise and the hare because IF Apple maintained their gigantic lead then it would be impossible for anyone to catch up. But the fact that in 4yrs Android caught up to them (and even Microsoft is doing some impressive things) then it's hard to say that Apple has been moving forward at the rate they are capable of.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch)

I had blackberry too. IOS is heaven compared to blackberry. Would be nice if the bored folks could use a blackberry for about 6 months, then return to IOS. Bet they'd never complain again.
haha exactly - let them use a Blackberry Curve 8530 for a mandatory 6 months.
they will kiss ground once they get their iPhone back

big samm

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2008
Yes I got real bored that I bought a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7.... I'm using those instead of my 4s and the iPad 4G, and its not that bad, I can even say I like it! I didn't use my iPhone or iPad since July 17 and I don't even miss it! Now the iPad is soo heavy and big its not even a joke, and the iPhone screen is tiny as hell. But I still love my iOS devices, I guess I'll start using them when iOS 6 comes out!

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
To those people who keep saying how bored they are, what do you want? What is it that you wish Apple would implement in iOS that would make you happy?

I will say there is one thing I want. I want webOS style cards for multitasking instead of the tray. Apple could implement it the same way they multitask now. One press on home button returns to home screen. Two presses brings up all your open apps in cards view, swipe up on the card and it closes the app, tap on an app and it opens, or press the home button again and all the apps disappear and your back at the home screen. Elegant, simple, and clean.

Other than that, iOS is a great SOLID system that does what I need and want.

Paulioo

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
I have no use for change, just for the sake of change. Do you get bored with your hammer, "these sciccors never change". As long as it continues to function well, I can't see the "it's boring" argument.

Brilliant post

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
To those people who keep saying how bored they are, what do you want? What is it that you wish Apple would implement in iOS that would make you happy?
well the iPad screen is so big yet all u have is those icons of apps on your springboard. it's time to add some new features that take advantage of the bigger screen

hell, a freakin weather forecast on the iPad notification center would be a start or some additional quick-settings. the notification looks just redic right now on the iPad as there is nothing to display most of the time. there's so much potential. i wish apple would take some of those jailbreaking ideas so i could avoid jb my iDevices in the future

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Will wait to see how things progress, I'm sure Apple have a big productivity update coming in future for the iPad also.
Perhaps an ipad pro? i think surface and win 8--although each has problems--are really revolutionary products. I see the pen replacing the mouse and the track pad on laptops and desktops. it will take a while for a winning form factor to arrive.

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
I for one grow weary of the constant revisions for nothing other than iCandy. These visual enhancements are so fraternity "bros" can brag they just bought the latest iPad. Don't get me wrong I dig the new retna display, but I am perfectly happy with my iPad1. I will of course get screwed when ios6 comes out, but that just the way apple operates: planned obsolescence.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
It's as simple as creating a hybrid device that can run iOS and OSX simaeltaneously. Since there bleeding so close now, it shouldn't be that hard to pull off. I have a smart cover with a keyboard and a blue tooth mouse, I can use iPad apps if I want, touch screen, or run the desktop class stuff too. It just works. Lol. That would make sense to me. A next big leap. But you know funnily enough Linux is actually pushing ahead here, the Ubuntu for Android stuff looks very exciting, bringing a hybrid Desktop/mobile OS to portable devices. They have a great looking UI these days and an app store in tow to boot. But since both iOS and ML are both at such recent revisions we might not see anything for a while yet in that regard.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've been an Android user for quite sometime and joined the iOS party a little late. Maybe i'll grow tired of iOS but for now it's a streamlined package with the iPad so i'm enjoying it with all the games and apps made for the iPad.

You don't have that with Android because the platform is so fragemented unless you go with Amazon where devs actually build apps for the Kindle Fire.

brendu

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2009
USA
well the iPad screen is so big yet all u have is those icons of apps on your springboard. it's time to add some new features that take advantage of the bigger screen

hell, a freakin weather forecast on the iPad notification center would be a start or some additional quick-settings. the notification looks just redic right now on the iPad as there is nothing to display most of the time. there's so much potential. i wish apple would take some of those jailbreaking ideas so i could avoid jb my iDevices in the future
I actually agree with all that, the iPad needs more in the way of iOS changes than the iPhone IMO.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The big feature that would change the way I use my iPad would be the ability to use two apps at once. For example, I hate that I can't run a movie or video podcast in the background while I work so many times I end up having my iPad displaying a video and then having to use my phone or MacBook next to it to do my real work. Maybe something like Windows8 sidebar that takes a portion of the screen to run an app in without being obtrusive to the main app.

It's little added function things like that which are showing iOS's age and lack of forward thinking because there are serious limitations to the OSthat are preventing it to be a true solo system.

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Some of us do use a hammer, as well as other tools, every day. The tools I carry on my belt are extensions of my arms. I need those tools to always act and perform the same way every time I use them or I become less effective on the job.

That said, the iOS is just a way to organize and access the apps (more tools?) I use. I don't stare at the home screen all day.
It's too limited IMO.

NuggetSauce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
I've been using iOS devices since 2008. I recently got my first android smartphone and tablet, and after learning the devices in and out, I have to say i'm not a fan (using ice cream sandwich and gingerbread). The gimmick if having a new ecosystem to play with was fun for a couple weeks though.

But ultimately what matters is the content. Apps are king, and google play's selection of apps is unimpressive.

As far as iOS itself, it works, its intuitive I know it well. If it's broke don't try to fix it. (Of course tweaks and updates are fine).

ike08

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
New Zealand
The big feature that would change the way I use my iPad would be the ability to use two apps at once. For example, I hate that I can't run a movie or video podcast in the background while I work so many times I end up having my iPad displaying a video and then having to use my phone or MacBook next to it to do my real work. Maybe something like Windows8 sidebar that takes a portion of the screen to run an app in without being obtrusive to the main app.

It's little added function things like that which are showing iOS's age and lack of forward thinking because there are serious limitations to the OSthat are preventing it to be a true solo system.
I am not sure if you could do this on an iPad, but I can play video in the background on my iPhone 4S.

I do this by first open and play the video. I then click the home button, this of cause will stop the video, but you can then open the multi task bar, swipe to the right, click play on the video control. This should allow you to play the video in the background while you use other app. I believe you can also find apps that will play your video in the background automatically after you hide it. But if you want something like in the GS3 I guess we are out of luck for now.

I personally like how iOS handle multitasking as it is more efficient and I don’t have to deal with closing apps as the OS deals with that for me. Still, I hope iOS will allow more options to interact with apps without opening them.

I just started on my Apple journey so I am not bored yet. I recently learned about shake to undo and speak selection. My iPhone now read out loud for me :D.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted

I suppose if you view you're iPad as toy yes. Othwise if you see it as a tool no.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
They should make an Angry Birds iOS! You'd fling the app you want to open, but you have to kill every pig to launch the app successfully.

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
I am not sure if you could do this on an iPad, but I can play video in the background on my iPhone 4S.

I do this by first open and play the video. I then click the home button, this of cause will stop the video, but you can then open the multi task bar, swipe to the right, click play on the video control. This should allow you to play the video in the background while you use other app. I believe you can also find apps that will play your video in the background automatically after you hide it. But if you want something like in the GS3 I guess we are out of luck for now.

I personally like how iOS handle multitasking as it is more efficient and I don’t have to deal with closing apps as the OS deals with that for me. Still, I hope iOS will allow more options to interact with apps without opening them.

I just started on my Apple journey so I am not bored yet. I recently learned about shake to undo and speak selection. My iPhone now read out loud for me :D.
Watching video only to listen to the sound without the video itself? Might be useful for news video. But it's useless for other video that we really need to see.

nexusrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2012
Chancing an interface appearance doesn't improve usability neither interaction. Windows has changed skins without improving interaction for years. OSX on the other hand, has improved a lot user interaction with only minor gradual improvement to appearance. This is how good interaction design works. If one is "bored" by the appearance of its operative system, maybe he looks at it too much. Or maybe needs some useless novelty to be helped in its stupid online discussions against android users.

While Apple had this big success with handled devices I was happy because it started to sell always better machines at very good prices. Now seeing how this has transformed apple userbase nature (or more specifically, how this new userbase will influence apple behavior) I would gladly pay twice the actual price for my machines. OSX is becoming increasingly limited and dumber in order to be used by all the obtuse "i want new, i want different, i need to show off" people that now buys apple devices and haunt this forum.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I for one am very satisfied with the direction they have taken IOS so far and hope they won't change.

I am currently using the ipad in my classroom teaching, and the intuitive interface is what's allowing me to manipulate and switch between all those apps with little effort or downtime.

Surface should technically be better for engineers and designers. Will wait to see how things progress, I'm sure Apple have a big productivity update coming in future for the iPad also.
I think the problem here is that people are still seeing their ipad as too much of a computer. It isn't. Why not just learnt to accept and appreciate IOS' workings for what it is, rather than force it to become something it isn't?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The problem with mentioning Android or Jelly Bean in an Apple crowd is that it gets a knee jerk negative reaction and they end up missing the point. Its not about wanting to switch or jealousy, it's about seeing an utterly crappy product like Android 1.0 take gigantic leaps to get to Jelly Bean while iOS continues to take tiny stepsand then have them rely on the excuse makers to justify why a crippled Siri or non-google Maps are so awesome.

Every Apple customer knows that this company can do amazing things so this "boredom" is due to us knowing that Apple could also make gigantic leaps but are choosing not to because their success allows them to limit themselves since they'll sell a billion products anyway. (This is also why I hope all those questionable design patents get tossed out. Apple is a better company when they let their products talk rather than their lawyers)
Kudos for an excellent post.

It's so refreshing to read an entry that mirrors exactly how I feel about Apple. And for that matter, Android as well.

As a long time Apple user, I know what they are capable of. When they choose to hold back or deny us features simply because they can, it's incredibly frustrating.

Boredom never enters the picture in my case. Instead it's the frustration of witnessing a world class company like Apple act like little kids involved in a playground fight, instead of handling the matter with style & class.

It will be such a relief to get this war that Apple has started behind us. Yet they've set such a significant precedence, they've created a monster. "Cross us & we'll sue you" never truly accomplished anything other than creating a giant time & money pit.

Only time will tell if Apple chooses to continue this way, or if they have the courage to return to what they do best. If they apply themselves with a renewed focus on the positive. On making terrific products, they have the ability to win big with style & products the others can only dream of making.