Is anyone keeping iPad 1 and not upgrading

Discussion in 'iPad' started by penfan82, Mar 1, 2012.

1. penfan82 macrumors regular

So with all the questions on who is upgrading iPad 2 was wondering of anyone owns just iPad 1 and not upgrading... Just curious I'm an iPad 1 owner

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

i have an ipad 1 i haven't used in months...

apps just crash all of the time on it, pretty unusable at this point.

256mb of RAM in the original has really hampered it.

3. Liquinn Suspended

Probably me since the iPad 3 will be £400 which is 1/5th of my Macbook Pro I want so I'm not upgrading for that reason xD. Will probably get the iPad 4 though.

4. ljones macrumors regular

I'm upgrading on day one of the iPad 3 release. it's been a long, painful wait.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My iPad feels pretty good still in terms of responsiveness but I can tell there are some apps that would probably prefer the iPad 2. My plan is to upgrade every other revision so the iPad 1 will be retired to my kitchen machine and I'll upgrade. I think I am most excited to see that I can use the iPad 1 in the kitchen effectively.

6. raymond lin macrumors regular

iPad 1 has gone all slow since iOS 5.

Safari crashes if there is a big page, even a forum.

It can take ages to respond at times.

I have the iPhone 4 so it has the same chipset, and that is much smoother on the same thing, so it is the RAM that is hampering it.

Will give it to my parents to use i think when i upgrade.

7. jsmith1 macrumors member

I'm getting the 3 for sure, not sure if I'm selling my 1 or not.

8. tencentcat macrumors newbie

tencentcat

Same here. Definitely getting the iPad 3 for my wife and I. Not sure if I'm gonna sell or keep our iPad 1s. Probably too soon to give a 6-month old an iPad right?

9. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

We got our Dad an iPad 1 a couple of years ago. He surfs the internet, plays Words with Friends, watches movies. He has no complaints. To be frank, because of iOS, I think the iPad 1 is still a useful device.

10. snow blind macrumors regular

Wish I would have kept my OG iPad 1 for this reason alone! Id love to have mounted it on a wall mount or some other way to use when cooking new recipes... and have it exclusively there for that purpose.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I bought this [​IMG] and I love it. It works so nice, I can keep my original Apple iPad cover on the iPad and it's sturdy.

I can remove it easily if I'm not using it or move it somewhere else quickly if I am doing prep work on the other side of my cooker.
    It's fantastic.

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My dad, 87, mainly uses his iPad 1 for a book reader and email. Says it still works as well as it did two years ago and doesn't see a need to upgrade. But then just this morning he started talking about the increased screen resolution and wondering if it would be easier on his eyes. He was saying no upgrade, but sounds like he is starting to change his mind. He has always been an early adapter of new tech.

I have an iPad 2 and won't be upgrading. Will wait another year at least, but hope my dad decides to upgrade just so I can see what the iPad 3 does better than the iPad 2.

13. snow blind macrumors regular

Oh man... that looks great! Damn you for making me spend money :D Wait... I should probably hold off until we actually get to see the iPad 3... but can't imagine it not working with that.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It adjusts up and down, providing the iPad 3 is not actually wider, you'll be ok. With the Apple iPad 1 case on, it is a tight tight fit. If anything, then it would need to be case-less. I simply don't see this being the case though (enough about cases right?!).

Not meaning to hijack the thread, sorry guys.

15. Hamburger macrumors regular

don't know

I bought the iPad1 on launch day in Germany, used it for a while, and then shelved it for a year. Now I use it again every day, but even though it is sluggish and crashes every now and then, I feel I can't justify replacing a device that I have used for roughly eight months.
    But then again, lets see what happens Wednesday. Or whether Apple are really planning a 7" iPad, which I would at least have a look at.

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

RAM.

Why is Apple so stingy with it? Even the iPad 2 has far too little--about half what its competitors have. I got tired of app crashes on the iPad 1 (PDFs), so I upgraded to the iPad 2. It was better, but still problematic. I really hope they don't mess up the iPad 3 with too little RAM.

I would still be a happy iPad 1 owner if they had just put in enough RAM...

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Honestly, they seem to make real good use of the RAM so I never cared about it. However, it is obvious that as the iPad 1 ages, apps are slowing down thus meaning it is probably wise to believe most would want to upgrade every other year at least. I just hope that apps aren't designed in such a way to make my future iPad 3 worthless before they bust out the iPad 5 (going on my logic of a every 2 year upgrade).

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I'm looking forward to getting the 3, but I'll probably hang on to the 1.

My 1 still works well, and I think it's worth more to me than the money I could sell it for. I could see it being a useful second machine to maybe leave in the kitchen, or as a work machine or something like that.

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I couldn't have stuck with iPad 1, the lack of RAM was totally irritating - Safari was just a nightmare on it.

That said, under some usage conditions I'm sure iPad 1 is still more than sufficient for many.

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

all apps I'm using run still fine on my iPad1. If the iPad3 is everything we hope for it will still take a few month till it's easily available at the Apple stores so I have some time to decide.

It mainly depends if the Cregle iPen works without lag on the iPad1 and if future iOS5 versions run smoothly. If that is the case then I plan to wait for the iPad4 before I upgrade.

There is of course always the chance of a impulse buy because I love the retina screen of the iPad3:)

21. utdbear0812 macrumors newbie

I won't be upgrading for a while. I read books, surf the web and play games and it runs just fine for me.

22. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It's amazing how much they can squeeze out of such a small amount of RAM, but I agree, each device needs double whatever it has, for it not to have any issues. Both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S still suffer from page reloads in Safari, which can get irritating.
    Some content-rich pages, like The Verge and Engadget stutter at times when loading, even with nothing in the multitasking switcher.

23. falcora macrumors 6502

I'm definitely getting one on day one, hopefully Apple decides to release it before I got out of the country in two weeks.

24. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

I have only recently realised on these forums how many people have had big problems with the iPad 1.

Mine is still going strong (just occasional Safari Crashes) and I presently have no intention to upgrade.
    It is a bit slower than it was when it launched with iOS 3 but the extra functionality is more than worth the (for me) slight slow down.

Apps I use most are. .

Safari
    Mail
    Acrobat Reader
    Goodreader
    Adobe Ideas
    CAD
    Dropbox
    Pages
    Music
    Maps
    Physics based Puzzle Games

I guess none of them are massively resource hogging?

25. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

If it were not for the lack of ram on the iPad 1 I would stay with it but safari crashing all the time when there is a little bit of load is killing the fun of it.
    To be honest I actually like the look and feel better of the iPad 1 vs. the iPad 2.