Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.


macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Is anyone not upgrading and waiting until next year? I’m not going to lie I am very tempted by all these deals!


macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
Im sure there are plenty of people not upgrading. But its launch day, so all the "Talk about what you are ordering" conversations are clumped to the top.

Last year I didn't order, but I swear the first full page of this forum were all from people who were ordering and talking about what they ordered.

Dont be fooled into thinking that "everyone" is doing it.


macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
While I am quite tempted, my 12-mini will do just fine for at-least another year.

It's the new iPad Mini that has my attention right now . . . which is awkward, as I have no need, or existing use-case scenario <smile>

Regards, splifingate


macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
This is the first time in years that I've not ordered 2 new iPhones on launch day. There just isn't enough to entice me to swap out my 12 Pro for the 13. The only reason I'd even consider it is that I'm running out of space on mine and the 512GB option is calling my name.

I'll likely use this year to buy new Apple Watches for the wife and I. Our 3s are showing their age, but honestly even the 7 announcement was a bit underwhelming. Hopefully the next event provides some excitement since 2021 seems to be the year that Apple focused on the Mac and not the iDevices.
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Wags


macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not upgrading. We just did that in February, iPhone 11 Pro Max. Also no plans to upgrade next year either. Our upgrade cycle is usually two and a half to three and a half years.


macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I typically get a new phone very year if not before. I had a mini and then switched to a 12PM. And this is the first year I won’t be upgrading. The 13s look amazing but not enough of an upgrade to justify the spend for me. Plus I just don’t really feel like dealing with the setup ?. I have a bunch of Authenticator OTPs on my phone and getting all of that moved over is a giant pain.


macrumors member
Sep 12, 2019
I have a 12 pro max and not upgrading this year for the first time in a really long time. I am planning on picking up the iPad mini.


macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Is anyone not upgrading and waiting until next year? I’m not going to lie I am very tempted by all these deals!

With the trade in value of my 12PM, the upgrade to a 13PM is $300. I’d call that a no brainer. If I wait another year, the 12 will be worth less and I’d pay more for the 14.

On top of that, I get a $200 T-Mobile bill credit so it’s costing me even less!

Again, no brainer to upgrade.
  • Like
Reactions: Cape Dave


macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Wasn't going to, but traded in 2 X 11 Pros for 13 Pro Maxes at Verizon.
Will hand the wife & my 12s to the kids.
$1000 trade in for each 11 was just too good a deal. We will get all credits as we move any line with credits to still earn to our kids.


macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
i actually woke up early today and ordered a Sierra Blue 13 Pro Max on my IUP. but unlike previous years, i didn't get excited after that. it was almost like i'm on IUP so i kind of have to upgrade, right? then i headed to work and looked at my 12 Pro Max and i really REALLY not sure upgrading to a 13 MP would do me any good. i can care less about the 120HZ refresh rate, and that even allegedly will get throttled if you slow down your finger swiping. The only thing on the 13PM that intrigued me was the better battery life, but i only charge once per day anyway with my 12PM. so after a few hours, i decided to cancel my preorder. I will have a fully paid off 12PM on hand this time next year to to weigh my options when 14 comes out.


Sep 13, 2021
No, cant see the point in going from graphite 12 max to graphite 13 max, don't like any of the other colours. will wait till they hit gumtree for $500AUD off, that's how I got my 12 max.
  • Like
Reactions: Glacier1


macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I started thinking about it today because of Al the carrier deals. I could get $1000 from T-Mobile and effectively get the 13 Pro for free. I’d just need to finish paying off my iPhone 12 Pro through Apple.

I think my sensibility is telling me that it’s a bad decision though. Locking in to a carrier for 30 months and getting a new phone after just one year isn’t that wise - environmentally or financially. If others decide to do so, that’s up to them. I’m tempted, but I doubt I will.
  • Like
Reactions: caligurl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.