Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Isn't this like asking if Ferrari is doomed if they don't come out with a four door coupe...? I could see if iphones were sitting on shelves across america and their numbers were plungging across the board...Whats with all the sensationalism.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
It amazes me that people seem to believe that just because a person wants a larger phone (if Apple does not offer one) they are horrible people. Really?

I've been reading these boards since 2007 and the user base has become worse and worse with each passing year. It's as if an individual isn't allowed to express what they want. I did not realize if we used Apple products that we must bow down to Apple at all times.

Grow up people.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
It amazes me that people seem to believe that just because a person wants a larger phone (if Apple does not offer one) they are horrible people. Really?

I've been reading these boards since 2007 and the user base has become worse and worse with each passing year. It's as if an individual isn't allowed to express what they want. I did not realize if we used Apple products that we must bow down to Apple at all times.

Grow up people.

You mean express what they want and have it be accepted by everyone with no questions asked. Of course there's going to be debate. Why the moaning.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America

Grow up people.

I've been here since 2010, the biggest thing that I have seen change. The amount of Android owners who feel it is their mission, to tell everyone on an Apple forum, why they switched and why everyone else here should too. There have always been (since I've been here) people that haven't agreed with Apple or wanted Apple to this instead of that. If you read MacRumors on a semi regular basis, you might question if there are any decent Android forums out there.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I've had nearly every iphone out there, have a 5 right now. I have a retina MacBook pro and an ipad 4. I want a larger phone screen like the Samsung
S4 but really do NOT think this is going to hurt Apple too much if they don't have a comparable screen size.. Wish they made a phone with a larger screen. Very tempted to get the S4 - a very nice phone.

wkearney99

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
Bethesda, MD USA
I've been here since 2010, the biggest thing that I have seen change. The amount of Android owners who feel it is their mission, to tell everyone on an Apple forum, why they switched and why everyone else here should too.

You mean vs the apple owners that have done the same thing in non-apple forums too? It's hardly a new thing.

Sometimes good advice is worth sharing. I've been delighted with my Android phones for quite a while now.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
You mean vs the apple owners that have done the same thing in non-apple forums too? It's hardly a new thing.

Sometimes good advice is worth sharing. I've been delighted with my Android phones for quite a while now.

Wouldn't know. I don't visit android forums. I visit the front pages. I have and have had many Android phones so I feel I can have a say in the discussions. It seems on here though , most(not all) of the ones that have switched have what seems a vendetta against Apple and anyone who uses iOS.

Advice is a good thing. I enjoy hearing how people use their androids vs how they used iOS. I'm intersted in productivity. Getting things done is my main reason for a smartphone. I'm not buried in it on Facebook all day. It's a business tool for me and if something is better I want to know. Android while good, hasn't shown me anything that will make me switch. I still feel iOS is a better OS.

It's tiring seeing most if the same people here trying to change someone's else's choice. Most here are going to be Apple biased. One should expect that and deal with it in an adult manner. Name calling and bashing isn't the way, for either side. This is an Apple forum. Don't come here and bash Apple and its users because you feel something else is better. If you want to have a Apple hate thread, join or create one on an Android forum

None of this is directed towards you.

Last edited:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, some people want a 15" notebook, and some want a 13" or 11". Some want a 9.7" iPad and some want a 7.9".

Apple could make many of their competition issues with Samsung go away if they just release a 5" iPhone Plus for those that want a bigger screen. The 4" iPhone 5S would still be there for those that prefer a slightly smaller screen. Problem solved.

And yes, they would likely have to go with a higher res than 1136x640 on the Plus model to compete with the 440+ PPI of the GS4, but too bad for developers. They'll adjust just like they did for the 4 and the 5 and all will be fine in a few months. Do it.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I fear that if Apple is taking their time in releasing the larger phone, like say it gets delayed to next year. I believe that Samsung will get even stronger because their larger flagship phones have no competition from Apple. Apple needs to stop the bleeding asap and stop Samsung from acummulating so much money!

Articles like this one really makes me feel depressed...
http://www.businessinsider.com/i-lo...sad-it-isnt-as-big-as-a-samsung-phones-2013-3

I like the idea of choice of screen size, but not everyone carries a purse everywhere they go or doesn't want to have a belt clip to carry their phone.

would be nice if they do come out with a larger phone, no not stop making a phone that is convenient to carry around.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Well, some people want a 15" notebook, and some want a 13" or 11". Some want a 9.7" iPad and some want a 7.9".

Apple could make many of their competition issues with Samsung go away if they just release a 5" iPhone Plus for those that want a bigger screen. The 4" iPhone 5S would still be there for those that prefer a slightly smaller screen. Problem solved.

And yes, they would likely have to go with a higher res than 1136x640 on the Plus model to compete with the 440+ PPI of the GS4, but too bad for developers. They'll adjust just like they did for the 4 and the 5 and all will be fine in a few months. Do it.

It's not a simple as that there are many reasons that some people prefer Samsung over the iPhone, screen size is just one of them.

The problem is Apple does not like product proliferation, as they feel it confuses the market. Therefore Apple would be reluctant to make a phone in two different sizes. Yes, I know they did it for the iPad, but they were different enough in their own right to have their own niche. Also the iPad mini has the same resolution as the non retina version, so less work for the developers.

The problem with the iPhone is more people would prefer the current size than a larger phone. Or let me put it this way, more people who might prefer a larger screen can live with the current size. I believe there are more people that could not live with a larger phone if Apple went that route.

So to keep existing customers happy they would need to continue with the current size, and I am not sure Apple would want to add a new phone in another size as well, as with memory sizes and colours that adds complexity to the product line.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
IMHO, we have had absolutely no surprises in the Tim Cook era, nothing groundbreaking, even nothing that doesn't stick just with Apple's historical trends. We are due for a surprise from Tim, and this would be a great one. Ditch the iPhone 5s and bring out the iPhone 6 with everything updated, hold nothing back, 4.5-5" screen, NFC chip, Johnny Iveiffied iOS 7, slimmer, better battery life, wireless charging.

I know this is a pipe dream, but just for a second imagine if Apple really did that. Imagine how much Samsung and everyone else would dump their pants.

I just can't help feeling that Apple is still withholding big features so they have things to add later in future updates...

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
It's not a simple as that there are many reasons that some people prefer Samsung over the iPhone, screen size is just one of them.

The problem is Apple does not like product proliferation, as they feel it confuses the market. Therefore Apple would be reluctant to make a phone in two different sizes. Yes, I know they did it for the iPad, but they were different enough in their own right to have their own niche. Also the iPad mini has the same resolution as the non retina version, so less work for the developers.

The problem with the iPhone is more people would prefer the current size than a larger phone. Or let me put it this way, more people who might prefer a larger screen can live with the current size. I believe there are more people that could not live with a larger phone if Apple went that route.

So to keep existing customers happy they would need to continue with the current size, and I am not sure Apple would want to add a new phone in another size as well, as with memory sizes and colours that adds complexity to the product line.

Well, judging by the somewhat defensive "How will you love your iPhone?" campaign launching right when the GS4 was announced, they seem to be feeling the heat in Cupertino a bit. While a second screen size does complicate things a bit for Apple, it's certainly not unprecedented as they make more than one type of MacBook, more than one type of iMac, and more than one type of iPad.

The iPhone is really their only one-size-fits-all product and their stubbornness to adjust to market trends seems to be hurting them lately. There was a time when the iPhone made all other phones look silly, but seeing the iPhone 5 next to a Galaxy S3/4 is somewhat emasculating. A larger 5" display with the design of the iPhone 5 would be a home run for Apple.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
If you want bigger screen go buy an Ipad, there are people that prefer using phone not 22 inch tv :D

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Well, judging by the somewhat defensive "How will you love your iPhone?" campaign launching right when the GS4 was announced, they seem to be feeling the heat in Cupertino a bit. While a second screen size does complicate things a bit for Apple, it's certainly not unprecedented as they make more than one type of MacBook, more than one type of iMac, and more than one type of iPad.

The iPhone is really their only one-size-fits-all product and their stubbornness to adjust to market trends seems to be hurting them lately. There was a time when the iPhone made all other phones look silly, but seeing the iPhone 5 next to a Galaxy S3/4 is somewhat emasculating. A larger 5" display with the design of the iPhone 5 would be a home run for Apple.

I agree some users would like a larger screen, but that is not how Apple rolls. In any case I believe it is the stagnation of iOS that is more of a problem than screen size. In any case the iPhone still has the largest market share in the smartphone market place and actually increased its market share last quarter. That having been said Apple will get overtaken soon unless they can breath new life into iOS, which has not changed significantly in the last few years.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012

I know its not a huge sample but the thread I started a while back shows definitely more here want a larger screen.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1559526/

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I know its not a huge sample but the thread I started a while back shows definitely more here want a larger screen.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1559526/

As you say a small sample, and people who are unhappy are more likely to say so on a forum like this, than people who are happy. The lost compelling evidence is that iPhone has the largest Smartphone marketshare at the moment at the current screen size, and their market share increased last quarter as well. Also looking at the survey less than 50% want an iPhone with a 5" Screen.

I believe among current iPhone users there will be more people who do not upgrade if Apple increase the screen size, compared to those that would not upgrade if they kept the current screen size. I believe the main problem at the moment is the stagnation of iOS, rather than the screen size.

Last edited:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I agree some users would like a larger screen, but that is not how Apple rolls. In any case I believe it is the stagnation of iOS that is more of a problem than screen size. In any case the iPhone still has the largest market share in the smartphone market place and actually increased its market share last quarter. That having been said Apple will get overtaken soon unless they can breath new life into iOS, which has not changed significantly in the last few years.

I agree that iOS 7 is very important for Apple. But changing iOS's core UI just for the sake of breathing new life into it is also not how Apple rolls. A lot of Android's customization bells and whistles are pure show of which you will use rarely once the novelty wears off.

Apple's entire iPhone introduction in 2007 was based on making it super easy to use compared to other "smartphones" at the time and I'm guessing they feel the springboard/fixed app layout is still best for that. They also anticipate people spending the majority of time in apps anyway, so anything other than a simple app launcher can be seen as overkill and unnecessary clutter. I would be happy if they just improved the usefulness of Notification Center (this is a place where more widgets could live without sucking up battery life all time), rethink app switching (please add a kill all open apps button), and make Siri smarter (using proper nouns pretty much ruins all usefulness of Siri and Dictation).

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The only one doomed are the dedicated iOS users waiting/hoping for a larger screen. They'll have to keep waiting.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I miss the old mac rumors forum. ughh.

Yes Apple is doomed because that's the ONLY thing I care about in my phone. Can't wait till Samsung releases the 7" Galaxy S 4.5

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
I do think it is a severe exaggeration to state that Apple is doomed. Last I checked they were quite successful. However, the optimism of Apple always innovating and pushing the boundaries of where technology is seems to be going away. I guess I just miss the surprises Apple would come out with, thats what made these rumor sites so fun.

Anymore it's all to easy to predict what Apple comes out with next. A iPhone 5s with the new A version processor, upgraded camera, some new software feature... No surprises, I hope I'm wrong but I bet I'm not...

It's just hard to feel that Apple is putting forth the absolute best product they can build each time, it's like they have a long list of future features and they stagger them and release a few on each generation iPhone as featured upgrades.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Doomed? - No, but I believe they will continue to gradually lose ground to phone manufacturers like Samsung.

Toadkillerdog

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
If you want bigger screen go buy an Ipad, there are people that prefer using phone not 22 inch tv :D

silly reply...
But with a grain of truth...
I am so torn here wanting a larger screen size but not wanting to give up iOS and facetime. Maybe I'll get an iPad mini when it comes in retina and call it a day, sigh.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Doomed? - No, but I believe they will continue to gradually lose ground to phone manufacturers like Samsung.

I agree with this. I read an article from Forbes recently that stated android market share went from 51.3% in 2011 to 69.7% in 2012. Couple that with the fact that Apple went from 23.6% in 2011 to 20.9%. I wouldn't say "doomed", but I do believe Apple needs to shake things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.