Is "fanboy" considered an insult?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by anjinha, Jan 11, 2010.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm wondering if calling someone a "fanboy" is considered an insult and should it be reported as such? If it's not I think it should be.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

As opposed to "fangirl"?

Just for kicks: you could have searched, perhaps you would have found this thread from BV.

;)

3. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I know, but it's an old thread and we never got any response from the mods. I think people do use it mainly as an insult but I want to know if there's any point in reporting it or not.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Half the posters here would be banned if "fanboy" was considered an insult. Its meant to inflame, of course, but I think most posters have learned to take it on the chin and not be insulted by it.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's a slight insult. IMO, it doesn't rise to what MR considers an I insult.

6. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Isn't saying things just to inflame other users against the rules?

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I think it's more of an insult than telling someone to shut up (which I actually got an infraction for, pathetically enough).

8. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

Ultimately I think it depends on how you use it. But I would like to know from the mods if this is something that should be reported or not.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many on this site are self-admitted "fanboys".... and proud of it. To those, it would be considered a compliment. However, quite a few would consider it an insult, as it basically says, "Your opinion or comment is worthless, as it's the outcome of an irrational, blind allegiance to some company or product, and not based on logic, fact or sound reasoning."

I think the mods would suggest "when in doubt, report it" and leave it to the mods to determine if there's a violation. If you're reporting such situations frequently, they'll let you know if you're on the wrong track and give you guidance as to what you should and shouldn't report. They're very helpful in that regard.

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

When I am called a "fanboy", I secretly envision clubbing their HP or Dell with a baseball bat before I imagine strangling them with one of my spare FireWire cables. :D Honestly though, if I couldn't handle the occasional insult from a child like an adult (only children insult others that way), I probably shouldn't be browsing online forums.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am a huge Apple fan boy in the sense that along with companies like Sony, I usually like their products.

But if an Apple fanboy is somebody who continually makes false statements about Windows, has never used Windows or a PC, and pretends to be an authority on the PC world, then I am not a "fanboy".

Unfortunately, I live in Silicon Valley, or just south of it, and I have met too many Mac users who don't know a damn thing they are talking about when it comes to PCs/Windows. There are some Apple fanboys who only hang out with their own and think that since Apple has become more popular since SJs return, they have somehow surpassed Windows in sales. Too many of them think that any day now, Apple will become bigger than Microsoft or IBM, or that they "should" be.

Personally, this fanboy likes Apple the way they are, innovating and growing at a steady rate, and I don't care if we never catch up with Microsoft. In the OS market share wars, I pretty much concede that Microsoft won hands down. I am happy to use both OS X and Windows, though the latter sometimes uses me. ;)

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I definitely feel as if people come here to interact with Mac lovers. I don't find it insulting because at the end of the day I know how that I won't just by a product because it says, "Made in China and Designed in California."

Names... I call myself a Shure fanboy openly, but I won't recommend the SE110.

13. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

My problem is that usually the term "fanboy" is used in an argument when they just want to shut someone up. Someone may be defending Apple or an Apple product with very logical reasons but they will be called "fanboy" by people that just don't know how to participate in a rational discussion.

I have no problem in being a "fangirl", I have a problem with how the term "fanboy/girl" is used against people as an insult.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^^ I agree with your analysis.

I can think of a number of members that break that rule with every post they make (mostly in PRSI, but in other places as well).

15. cosmos macrumors regular

cosmos

I too agree with your assessment of the term fanboy. Whether on one side of the computer ecosphere or the other, there are definitely people who we all see in the forums on the Net.

I myself was in the Windows camp for many years. I was a member of a Fortune 100 Windows Team that ran their entire Windows ecosystem. I was also a member of their Security Team that managed all of the Windows Server infrastructure in the enterprise.

I personally was in charge of around 250 servers out of about 4,000 total. Those that I managed were very demanding. A subset of these were deemed FDA Validated. I was personally in charge of managing 35 Servers that required that ANYTHING requiring the most minor change had to go through flaming hoops via ITIL Change Control with sign off of all parties.

From that you would think that I was a Windows fanboy. Well, long story short, I decided to personally leave that mess of constant patching, security issues and endless tweaking behind on my own home network.

Am I a Mac fanboy? I don't know, but I have been on both sides of the computing fence.

I personally do not give any fanboy much credence unless they have actually dealt with both platforms. Unless someone can state that they have worked with one in an enterprise environment day to day and then actually used another, they do not have much credibility IMHO.

Not long ago, I walked on the raised floors of a multi-billion dollar installation of Windows servers, UNIX and Mainframe boxes too. Each has their place, but no one solution IMHO should be dismissed out of hand.

For a real example of a fanboy, you should check out the endless postings of "NonZealot" on ZDNet. A warning that more than a few reads of his/her posts over time can cause your blood pressure to elevate. :D

16. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Yes, and some do that to support other Mac lovers or to ensure themselves that their decision for the Mac was right all along.

And some seek a rational argument about tech stuff.

And some come here to enrage and flame the Mac lovers.

The problem is, sometimes is not that easy to tell #2 and #3 apart.

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Speaking of insults, I reported this post on the first page of the Touchscreen Accuracy article currently on the MR front page. The entire post reads:
    I reported it mainly on the basis that it's ungentlemanly to be rude and insulting to competitors. A day later it's still there. Does that mean it's ok to hurl puerile abuse at competitors?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If fanboy is to be banned then why not n00b or newbie? They're commonly used as a derogative term. What about one word replies consisting of just "fail"?

19. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Fanboy is not an insult unless you take it as one. Right now it's a label that someone sticks on you, and how you react to that label is up to you.
    Like geek, nerd, effeminate, gay and so forth. They're commonly used as insults, but they're not as one-dimensional as idiot, jerk and so forth, which are rarely used as anything but insults.

This has been an explanation of insults, by someone with english as a second (actually third) language.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't think fanboy or fangirl should be seen as a complete insult. Then again people have gone down for much less.

I think it's in context. If the post reads as combative without offering much of anything then the post or posts as a whole should be considered. I'd imagine that would be what would be done, maybe.

Like raggedjimmi said, if you ban fanboy, fanboi, and fangirl you need to ban newbie, n00b, and newb. While you're at it, since ************************** is banned, also ban do a search, you could have searched, please search, a simple search, and this site has a search function.

Eventually posts will read like this:

Hi,
    ***** ** ******* *** ***** **** ******* **** *** *** ok **** ** an *** to **** Mac.

:D

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It usually is someone trolling that uses the term "fanboy".

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Were you all raised on time outs and everyone in little league getting a trophy? Everyone's a winner. :rolleyes::rolleyes:(hey, rolling eyes is insulting, let's ban it)

I think this site is sanitized enough and has other issues which are more important than people having their wittle feelings hurt over being called a newbie, troll or fanboy.

Man up.

23. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Life is tough, get a helmet

Hmmmmm, think I will get one with a big "G" on the side

[​IMG]

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I found your third word (*******) to be insulting. :D

You're such a oldie troll fanboy. :) (Impossible to call you a newbie).

What happened to Just Ending The Season? Jets suck.::p

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I found it quite arousing. :D

What can I say, I'm a Jet fan boy.