Is it impossible to get unlimited data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSkier, Oct 7, 2011.

1. iSkier macrumors regular

I upgraded to the iPhone 4S from an Android device. The only options were the 200mb, 2gb, and 4gb options, so I chose the 2gb one. Is it impossible to get the unlimited plan now?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, yeah. They've been discontinued for a while now.

3. HazChem macrumors regular

You can get it on the Sprint version for now.

4. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

I think your using Verizon...

BUT, if your using ATT, supposedly the workaround not caught yet is if you have an iPhone 2G and buy unlimited edge data and then use that in a 3G which will supposedly upgrade that to a Unlimited 3G.

Again, this is all speculation and hear-say. So, there is a glimmer of hope.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

AT&T and Verizon have no unlimited option... only Sprint

6. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thanks guys. Yeah I'm using AT&T but hopefully 2gb is enough, I don't use too much data I was just hoping for occasional Netflix streaming and such on top of regular web surfing and stuff. I have a lot of access to wifi as well.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Unlimited data isnt it all it's cracked up to be. Verizon and AT&T throttle after 2gb now. Had I known that was going to happen, I would have kept my dumb phone for a little longer but instead I got the iPhone 4 so I could have unlimited data :rolleyes:

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was able to retain my unlimited data with AT&T somehow. although i have been grandfathered in from the first iPhone too. Although this is an upgrade from a 3GS

9. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

No not impossible but it does take some effort on your part.

Here is a very long thread that discusses how to use an Original iPhone and iTunes activation to get the old $20 iPhone Unlimited Data plan and then convert to the $30 iPhone Unlimited Data plan.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124040

Yes it still works.

Dave

10. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

This is what I did last year when I got my iPhone 4. I <3 Unlimited Dataz and Spotify

11. NoHo macrumors 6502

Actually, it is all it's cracked up to be. And more.

I use between 1gb and 5gb a month just doing normal iPhone stuff. Streaming Netflix, Pandora, Shoutcast, Hulu, other apps, etc, and the peace of mind that comes with not having to worry about how much data you're using is definitely worth paying the extra $5 that the unlimited data plan cost compared to the 2gb tiered plan.

I'll keep my unlimited data plan as long as I can because data is only going to get more sensitive from here on out. Especially with iCloud. My carrier will ALWAYS be whoever can offer me unlimited data.

12. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

2gb =/= top 5%

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1236783

13. Aviator189 macrumors newbie

I've had an iPhone since generation 1 and I was able to retain my unlimited Data with AT&T. It is really the only reason I stick with them. I pay only $80 a month for 450 minutes, unlimited data and text.

14. TLewis macrumors 65816

This. Although I have an unlimited plan with AT&T, I'm seriously thinking about jumping to Verizon. What's the point of an unlimited plan if they're going to throttle you to the point where it's useless? I get much better Verizon coverage where I am, and so it makes sense for me.

Edit: just for the record, I don't even use anything near 2GB. It's more like 250MB/mo, and, so, if they lose me, they're losing one of the customers that they want to keep.

15. Mrrikki macrumors regular

Easy to get unlimited data, move to the UK and go to 3 network!

16. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

You aren't anywhere near the point where they are going to throttle your bandwidth.
    If you have an unlimited plan and are only using ~250MB/mo you know you could save money by giving up your unlimited plan and moving to a lower tier, right?
    What you have just said above is that you are unhappy with ATT because you are buying a service from them that you aren't using. That doesn't make sense.

17. NoHo macrumors 6502

If you're only using 250mb of data a month, then maybe you're wasting money on having an iPhone. It does a lot more stuff than just look cool and get you fashion points.

18. TLewis macrumors 65816

No, it's a service that I'm mostly not using. :D

The "unlimited plan" is/was the only thing keeping me with AT&T, as Verizon's coverage is usually, although not always, better in my area. Although we generally use ~250MB/mo (cellular), I'd like to have a true unlimited plan for when we're traveling (business or vacation). Both home (and friends and family) and work have wifi, our commute is well under 3 miles, and so most of our usage is wifi. However, if we're traveling, wifi may not be easily available, and so we'd be using cellular a lot (netflix, pandora, etc.). We'd very likely go over 2GB. I can generally hit 1.5-2GB wifi usage in just a few days, with modest video watching.

19. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I also have unlimited data with AT&T and I also have a question....If the 4S is branded a "Faux"G phone by AT&T can I keep my unlimited data went I buy the 4s? Or do I have to get one of the new plans?

20. TLewis macrumors 65816

Since when has cellular data usage become a measure of manliness? :eek:

~250MB is just typical. Occasional/rare business/vacation travel would cause it to not be 250MB.

21. NoHo macrumors 6502

It will let you keep it, but it changes it from 'Unlimited Data for iPhone' to 'Unlimited Data for iPhone 4S'

A data specific iPhone plan. It may be nothing, but that name change may also mean that when the iPhone 5 comes out and you try to grandfather your unlimited plan in, AT&T could say some sneaky stuff like, "You're unlimited data plan is only available for the iPhone 4S. Please select a tiered data plan for the iPhone 5."

22. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I totally expect the iPhone 5 or whatever it is called to be LTE capable, thus making the 3G unlimited data option unavailable and forcing customers to get a tiered plan. But since this iPhone is not LTE I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well, if you had unlimited data with your Android ... I'd call up AT&T and ask them to put it back.

24. iSkier thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I had the $15/mo plan with the Android since it was a crap phone. I also don't have access to the old iPhone so that means no possible way for unlimited right?

25. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

If you're wanting unlimited data on at&t you can get an original iphone which only comes with a $20 unlimited (edge) plan, and then that will grandfather over to unlimited 3g.

Another method that works for both carriers is to use the contract swapping/buying website.

[​IMG]

In that example obviously some of those contracts were made well before they discontinued unlimited data on verizon. So it would be possible to acquire it.