Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I need some documents from an application for The New Yorker Magazine. But it only runs in Leopard. I've never fooled w virtual installations.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Yes, you are going to need a VM! :) I very highly doubt your Mac is old enough to run Leopard natively.

I highly recommend VMWare Fusion, which I’ve found has the best performance by far for Mac guests. Then you will need to track down a copy of Leopard Server—you might try eBay—and a way to read the optical disc. From there, VMWare should guide you through everything!

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
Yes, you are going to need a VM! :) I very highly doubt your Mac is old enough to run Leopard natively.

I highly recommend VMWare Fusion, which I’ve found has the best performance by far for Mac guests. Then you will need to track down a copy of Leopard Server—you might try eBay—and a way to read the optical disc. From there, VMWare should guide you through everything!
Why isnt the leopard install disk enough?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Why isnt the leopard install disk enough?
It's because of licensing restrictions. In the older versions of OS X, only the server versions were licensed to be virtualized, so VMware blocked installations of the non-server version in order to comply with that.

Reactions: macintoshmac

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
It's because of licensing restrictions. In the older versions of OS X, only the server versions were licensed to be virtualized, so VMware blocked installations of the non-server version in order to comply with that.
Oh, gish. Ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.