Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iQuestionz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2019
Hello,

I had an accident with my MacBook pro-2011 where it slid off the shelf and fell onto the ground. It worked that same day, but now it does not turn on, or show any signs of life. No sounds, No lights. Nothing. The charger shows a dim green light when plugged into the MacBook. I took it apart and did not see any damage (was mostly looking for damages in the wires, and hardware components).

Can the MacBook still be saved, it was just a fall from a 2 feet shelf?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is this a 13" or 15"?

If it's a 15", I would not bother trying to fix it.

If it's a 13", a logic board from a late 2011 and mid-2012 will fit inside the existing case, assuming it's a logic board problem.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If it worked at first, then stopped working, it might be a problem with recharging the battery. The battery is the heaviest component so it would be most likely to damage itself or nearby components or become disconnected from things its supposed to be connected to.

iQuestionz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2019
Reply:

The MacBook is a 13" 2011 model. The battery could have damaged the logic board. Although, the MacBook should power on as long as it is connected to the power cable i suppose.

Are there any basic troubleshooting ideas that might fix the board. Or should i spend a few weeks researching how to repair a motherboard by soldering and replacing faulty components?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.