Is my MacBook Pro a goner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fraaser, Mar 1, 2016.

  1. fraaser macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2016
    #1
    At the weekend I spilt a glass of milk over my MacBook Pro Retina. The MacBook was closed, and upside down (with a hard case on) so I had hoped that the damage would be minimal.

    At the time I obviously cleaned it up the best I could, and covered it in rice whilst I waited for the security screwdriver to arrive in the post.

    The screwdriver arrived today so I opened the thing up. To much of my horror the milk has made it's way on to most of the components. Before seeing the amount of damage I stupidly tried to turn it on and now fear that I've fried the thing.

    Is my MacBook beyond repair?

    I shall be taking it in to my local Apple Store at some point this week to see what the 'Genius' folks have to say.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #2
    You likely killed it, yes. If not now, corrosion will screw up components in the long run and end up frying after a while.
     
  3. Gesturthor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2015
    Location:
    Reykjavik
    #3
    Try to clean up the milk and take it to the apple store. It looks like it got over the battery, SSD chips and the left fan and the heat sink.
    You should have not turned it on because then you might have fried the motherboard.
    I would in your position try to clean it up with cotton buds and try not to break anything with them, then take it to the apple store.
     
  4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

    Spudlicious

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2015
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, England
    #4
    That certainly looks a goner, tough luck. I'm writing this while having a cuppa at the keyboard, and I've just sworn to not do that again.
     
  5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #5
    That is a fair amount of milk. I'm curious how it got all up in there with the hard case on and such.
    It does look like a goner though. Perhaps Apple can clean it up and replace whatever is necessary, but it may be cost prohibitive at this point.
     
  6. iKonstantinos macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    #6
    I am not that sure to accurately answer your question.
    However, it had to be cleaned immediately!

    I am worried cause milk is sticky...
    If it was water, it would be definitely easier...

    Good luck though!
     
  7. desisn.com macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2015
    #7
  8. ajsimeon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #8
    I just bought a 2014 15 MacBook pro retina that somebody was selling very cheap that was apparently water damaged. However, my case is a little different b/c he said it was water (though I can't say for sure what it is) and only bought it b/c he said the MacBook would post only with an ac adapter and that nothing would show up on the screen. I took a chance at it and bought it since I knew I could just sell the SSD and still make money on it. Well I opened it up right away and only the battery sensor and bottom right corner sensor of the logic board was lit up red confirming water damage. I was able to get a shop to sonic wash the board and now everything works perfect except for the battery and the fact that the system is throttled b/c of a faulty battery. I believe once I replace the battery, it should be be back to normal. Does anyone know if the keyboard backlight is supposed to be out as well, like the cpu throttling, when the battery is faulty and only powered by ac adapter?

    My recommendation is possibly getting it sonic washed and hope that cleaning it that way will get it to come back to life.
     
  9. macbook whisperer macrumors newbie

    macbook whisperer

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2017
    Location:
    Austin Texas
    #9
    Unplug the battery and use it on adapter only
     
  10. Altis macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    #10
    The thread is a year old.

    Good advice, though.
     

Share This Page