is Sheldon Cooper the greatest TV character ever?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hbk48942, Feb 15, 2015.

1. hbk48942 macrumors newbie

he got everything , he is a great character and a great actor.

who agrees with me?

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Big Bang Theory is the most insulting garbage ever produced for prime time entertainment.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

More inane threads. There are at least 247 better characters that have been on TV than Sheldon Cooper.

4. Apple fanboy, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015

Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I liked the early BBT, but its gone to far now.

But to be honest however I answer this is irrelevant as the OP won't check in again! Just for the record, each of his 15 posts has been a new thread.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

6. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Of course not.

It was great up to 2 seasons. The show becomes repetitive after that.
    As a physicist I can say many things are ingenious and cool. However, PhD comics are way better at depicting the physicist life in Academia. BBT doesn't at all.

ALF is the greatest TV character ever.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

And females:

Far and away this woman:
    [​IMG]

Honorable mention is this show carrying actress
    [​IMG]

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Can't wait for the op to get into PRSI

I liked the flashback episode in which we found out what Sheldon Copper's first picture on his computer was, saw an old photo of him, talked about that dream he had, reminisced about his first & worst job, his first tweet, his first computer, the time he met that famous guy, that girl he had his first crush on, that time he wore that horrible outfit, dreamed about his future, remembered that shocking thing that happened in his city, showed us his first picture, joked about that strange thing on wikipedia, joked about that random picture he took, stayed up really late, left home for a few years, stayed on the net for two days straight, bragged that he had the life he wanted 5 years ago and told us where he was when the challenger blew up.

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I watched the show one time and thought it sucked big time. It's still on the air?

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Try watching it without the laugh track. Like all CBS shows, no laugh track = seriously uncomfortable.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

The laugh track was really annoying because the show wasn't in the least bit funny. It blows me away people actually like this crap. To each his own I guess.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[Mod Note]

I have deleted some non-interest posts. If you are not interested in the thread subject, please just skip the thread.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Hahaha - this.

Though I dislike pretty much any laugh track network comedy. If your show's writing and characters aren't strong enough to make the viewer laugh without telling them when to laugh, it's probably not good.

Much better luck with comedies on cable.

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Sheldon Cooper fills the Cosmo Kramer slot in the main cast ensemble. Hardly a great character.

15. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Cranston and Gandolfini ftw!

16. Huntn, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm not a BBT fan, and although I think Mr Cooper is a good comedic actor, I would not call him the best. I think part of this has to be from becoming enamored with the show and it's writing which must be razor sharp.

Great comedies that have grabbed me are Cheers, Everyone Loves Raymond, Sienfeld and currently Modern Family, ensemble comedies where actors play off one another. One of my wife's favorites was Will and Grace, and although it was not my cup of tea, and Sean Hayes's character mostly annoyed me, I can still praise his comic ability and timing. :)

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

18. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It’s pretty painful, tried a few episodes. The funny thing is the perspective of people outside of geek[ish] culture/industries, you know, the “Them nerds is funny cuz they say science stuff!”

We saw Parsons in NYC when he was the lead in Harvey, he was a _snoozefest_ (we only went because it was BIL/SIL’s choice).

Side note: anybody wanting an incredibly funny, sometimes dark, comedy about “nerds”, check out Mike Judge’s Silicon Valley. He’s got the right kind of sharp wit to understand how to skewer the tech industry (esp. the SF startup scene).

DT

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's hard to say which is the best character.

I'd say Dexter

Dexter.jpg

or Worf

worf.jpg

20. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I watched a couple of episodes, didn't like it.

21. ian.barker.982 macrumors newbie

Bbt is cool 30 million like it so ur obviously the minority I find the physics jokes sophisticated and a lot of people won't get it guys are u void of humour altogether bbt is fffffuuuuunnnnyyy man

22. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Glad you like it. I think it's a sad excuse of a sitcom. I don't know anyone who likes it. Even my 2 nephews (18 and 21) hate it.

23. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

Not quite. The highest rated episodes of Big Bang Theory ever garnered 20 million viewers. While it's unquestionably a hugely successful show, this means that there are more than 280 million Americans who AREN'T watching it. Fans of ANY TV show are, by definition, the minority. There is no such thing as a TV show that is watched by most people.