Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I think the problem lies more in the fact that everyone else is moving forward while Apple isn't doing anything new in hardware design. I'll give you an example -- the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge came out last year. That was on an S-year for the iPhone as the iPhone 6 redesign had only happened a year prior. Fast-forward to now -- the supposed redesign year (given Apple's tick-tock redesign cycle) and Apple is STILL using the same design. And the added features for the iPhone 7 (save for the dual camera) were just playing catch-up to what other manufacturers are doing.

I upgraded from a 6 to a 7 and although I think it was a good upgrade software wise and some hardware(water resistant, home button) it didn't feel like going from the 5 to the 6. I mean the 7 is wicked fast and it's buttery smooth. Definitely a difference from the 6. I also like the fact it's water resistant because at my job I'm outside a lot. Been raining the last couple of days and I appreciated I was able to use my iPhone in the light drizzle with confidence.

For me the iPhone works for me. Like I said I hardly use Apple apps / software on any of my hardware including my iPhone. What is surprising is Google apps run better on iOS than most Android devices out there. Not only run better but look way more crisp. However now with the Pixel it looks to be changing. Playing with the Pixel for a couple of days I would say Google apps run buttery smooth and look crisp and are baked in. I wouldn't say the apps on the Pixel are better than in iOS but pretty much equal.

I'm sure there are more people like me who prefer Google services over Apple. I prefer Googles technology and I think it's a fact that Google technology beats Apple. All the privacy bull crap and Google looking over your shoulder is exaggerated. How many still use gmail and Google as your search engine?

However I think the iPhone wins in hardware.

Reactions: v0lume4

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Tim sort of declared that Steve's spirit will always be the foundation of Apple. During his life the company spurred so much growth in the industry that it's almost impossible to imagine what things would be like without it. Would phones still have physical keyboards and carrier-designed software?

It's hard to put a finger on that "spirit," and indeed, it includes Steve's admonition not to ask what he'd do if he were alive. I think it's largely the ability to step way back, take a big breath, look at humanity and seek some insight regarding how to improve things. The "age of Apple" was heralded by that kind of impetus.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Well since it's the 1st Gen Pixel the main 'feature' I see that is attractive is the software and software is one cohesive unit. This is a Google phone in the same way the iPhone is. My opinion Google software such as email, Calendar app(Google) etc puts Apple to shame. Up until now all that was available for the most part was Android with a lot of different manufacturers. Yea there was the Nexus but the Pixel is different.

I didn't jump on the Pixel because it's 1st gen and got a iPhone 7. But the Pixel defiantly has the potential to become the iPhone equal at the very least.

Yea the iPhone runs apps as smooth as a baby's butt. But I don't use Apple software on any of my hardware only if I have too.
Trust me, I owned the Pixel for a month, I hear where you're coming from. The Pixel has great potential in the second and 3rd version to come. I think the hardware is lacking currently, but it was a great phone. While the Pixel goes a long way in bridging the gap with Apple, that is just the phone front. Google doesn't have a worthy Smartwatch, tablet or computer. They dabble in those areas, but they can't compete with the Apple Watch, iPad or Macs. All of those work with the iPhone and Apple's services. To me, and this is just me, we're no longer just purchasing a phone, we're purchasing one item in a large ecosystem. For me, the Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple TV all work so well together that I continue to invest in that ecosystem personally.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Trust me, I owned the Pixel for a month, I hear where you're coming from. The Pixel has great potential in the second and 3rd version to come. I think the hardware is lacking currently, but it was a great phone. While the Pixel goes a long way in bridging the gap with Apple, that is just the phone front. Google doesn't have a worthy Smartwatch, tablet or computer. They dabble in those areas, but they can't compete with the Apple Watch, iPad or Macs. All of those work with the iPhone and Apple's services. To me, and this is just me, we're no longer just purchasing a phone, we're purchasing one item in a large ecosystem. For me, the Mac, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and Apple TV all work so well together that I continue to invest in that ecosystem personally.

Yes I agree hardware wise Apple beats Google hands down. Software wise I think Google beats Apple hands down.

There have been evidence that Google takes iOS very seriously and I can say they do. Their apps work great on iOS.

I guess I'm referring to software. But then again you're right about the hardware where Google lacks. That's why I have all Apple hardware because it's solid. But I don't like Apple software and the software is related to the ecosystem I guess. But I don't look at is as ecosystem.

Reactions: AppleFan91

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Is the Age of Apple over? No. Apple is still creating innovative products that millions of people use, and want to continue using. The only people complaining, (that I have seen) are those who get paid to make such self-absorbed pronouncements (for the sake of web hits and media attention) expecting Apple (as well as many other tech businesses) to produce design results on some magical scale of expectation, that said individuals have deemed to be. I have also seen such complaints on MacRumors, by many people who have grown bored with their device, as if it is Apple's job to make sure that said person(s) are no longer bored, or said person(s) have some kind of misguided notion, that anything Apple does (or others) should be perfect (re: iOS, MacOS, OS X)

completely agree and love all my products as they should be...products. That said I don't think it is Apple that is failing to innovate I think it is the entire personal electronic consumer sector. People are so used to leaps in technology in such short periods and now we are in a plateau as far as cell phones go. We went from riding horses to landing on the moon in 50 years and from having to be friendly with your immediate neighbors and coworkers to understand there was and entire world accessible in a matter of a decade. What could even be next? That is what the youth doesn't understand (and maybe some adults), you can't have a ground breaking invention every other year or whatever.

Same coin different side, I do need Apple to step it up if they expect me to not start looking at different ecosystems. Amazon is really bring their business to and inside your home really fast. Netflix is streaming, allowing downloads for no service viewing, and creating some amazing original content. These are the innovations of today that people won't notice until a few years from now. Out of the entertainment industry Tesla has created rechargeable smart batteries for your house but at 3500 for a larger batter, plus having to own a house, takes a lot of the whiners out of the equation and you don't hear as many complaints. At a free cost with turn in you will always hear people complain about not enough innovation. Sorry, rant over we were already on the same page to begin with.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple is not finished!! They may be more Evolutionary in their Products as opposed to Revolutionary which is only normal in the cycle. Not every product Apple comes up with will change the world ,but if anybody has the talent, money, research and development and drive to come up with something Revolutionary it's Apple
Evolutionary can be great to as long as the time frame isn't rediclous. Take the iPhone Oled screens should have been used years ago like Abdroid. Apples problem is that it's trying to keep its costs down.while in reality people will pay for OLED wireless charging from 15 feet etc
Enough said

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
Been doing a lot of reading, watching and playing with the Pixel. My opinion is Google with the Pixel nailed it. Has the potential to be equal with the iPhone.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Agree. May take couple of iterations to iron out the controversy with their design choices but once they figure it out, they'll be firmly on their way. Software is beautiful and the Pixel is already considered by many the best phone of 2016.

Love my Pixel. As long as Google keeps making them, they have my vote and money. For a first version, the phone is a slam dunk!

Reactions: Verks7 and v0lume4

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
As long as Apple makes phones/devices I want to buy then this 'age' is not over for me.

If they fail to redesign the physical look of the iPhone this year then I will be exploring my options though.

However…it won't be Android. If I leave, I will return from whence I came - Windows Mobile.
I think this will be a good year for the iPhone and ready for new changes.

My opinion is a whole new design is coming. Apple certainly needs to stray away from the previous design with the iPhone 6/6s/7 if they want to stay relevant. I'm confident the iPhone 8 will be a big change. I still believe Apple makes the best products in the electronic industry.
Is that why the iPhone 7/7+ is the THIRD iteration of the iPhone 6/6+ series?

Or are you speaking solely of internal changes?
It is more important to me that they look new at least every two years. Lots of people buy their devices around here based on specs. Better CPU, camera, more ram, etc, etc.

I buy based on looks. My usage of my device has not changed since May 2009. The same things I do now I could accomplish using a 3GS running iOS 5. So, while new and updated internals are nice - that is never my consideration when I buy. I keep my phone for 2 to 3.5 years before replacing it. I don't want to hate the damn thing because it's fugly every time I use it.

And Apple gave us fugly with the antenna lines and camera bulge on the 6. They kept it with the 6s and they doubled down on fugly with the 7/7+ and that huge ass boil they call a camera lens. Frankly, I'd take my phone a little thicker so the camera lens is flush.

Not too sure why so many people demand Apple change the looks of the phone and it Apple doesn't, "Apple's doomed."

smh

Reactions: Sunny1990

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not too sure why so many people demand Apple change the looks of the phone and it Apple doesn't, "Apple's doomed."

smh
Nowhere in anything you quoted (of me) did I say Apple was doomed. The closest I came to it was this: "As long as Apple makes phones/devices I want to buy then this 'age' is not over for me."

For me. It's over (or not over) for me. Which doesn't mean it's over period or that Apple is doomed. It means I move on and Apple goes on doing whatever it's doing.

I buy for looks. If I no longer like the look I don't buy. Doesn't matter what brand. But it may be Apple this time.

Again. Just me. No one else. Myself (and sometimes my wife and kids) is all I can speak for.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I think the problem lies more in the fact that everyone else is moving forward while Apple isn't doing anything new in hardware design. I'll give you an example -- the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge came out last year. That was on an S-year for the iPhone as the iPhone 6 redesign had only happened a year prior. Fast-forward to now -- the supposed redesign year (given Apple's tick-tock redesign cycle) and Apple is STILL using the same design. And the added features for the iPhone 7 (save for the dual camera) were just playing catch-up to what other manufacturers are doing.
I love this argument... what exactly do folks like yourself want the iPhone to look like? How drastic of a change was any other manufacturers phone?

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
So, if the iPhone has the same "Old design" as you stated, then why would you purchase the iPhone 7 and then complain about it as you have in other threads?

Basically, your saying the iPhone 8 will have the same "Boring" design as the other iPhones, in which your willing to purchase and then Apple bash? That sounds about what you're doing right now. Contradicting your own quotes without explaining why you like the iPhone 7, only to disparage against it.
sounds like he wants one in jet white. For some a color change is all they need. Nothing wrong with that at all.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I love this argument... what exactly do folks like yourself want the iPhone to look like? How drastic of a change was any other manufacturers phone?
Well the water resistance in the iPhone 7 is still rated lower than that of the Galaxy S7. The S7 and other Android phones have AMOLED screens (including my Nexus 6P). And those bezels on the iPhone 7 Plus are legendary.

The S7 has wireless charging (though not a deal breaker for me). However many phones have fast charging.

Just saying there are some areas where Apple has remained stagnant despite of the rest of the industry.

Reactions: timeconsumer

DUIduckSAUCE

Suspended
Sep 12, 2016
I just re-upped again with apple haha. I upgraded to the 7 Plus and MacBook Pro. Apple still is number one when it comes to hardware + software cohesion. Samsung may have the hardware in terms of raw specs and google may have the software, but they aren't one cohesive unit such as the iPhone, iOS, iCloud, etc.
This is why I keep coming back to apple as well. The software is worth dealing with the dated hardware.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes I agree hardware wise Apple beats Google hands down. Software wise I think Google beats Apple hands down.

There have been evidence that Google takes iOS very seriously and I can say they do. Their apps work great on iOS.

I guess I'm referring to software. But then again you're right about the hardware where Google lacks. That's why I have all Apple hardware because it's solid. But I don't like Apple software and the software is related to the ecosystem I guess. But I don't look at is as ecosystem.

I don't know if its the same way because I haven't used Android in a while but I used to prefer Google apps on iOS versus Android. On Android they may even offer more features and options but something just didn't feel as nice about them. Not sure if it was the scrolling issues from yesteryear or what.

Nowadays I prefer Apples software hands down. However I preferred their simple approach, lately it seems they getting away from that and packing more and more features into their apps and iOS without overhauling them for the features, making them less intuitive.

Just my opinion.

As far as 'Is the Age of Apple over?'. Not even close. Tech people like us are hard to impress, average consumers are still blown away by their products. Pixel, iPhone, Galaxy, etc etc their all just phones to me, each having their pros and cons. Where Apple excelled (imo) is making a phone then integrating it into their ecosystem so its an extension of their other products. For example, I started this reply on my iPhone...when it started to get long I finished it on my Mac via Handoff. I'm sure Android could excel at this too but it doesn't have a desktop OS and for me Windows phone is out of the question.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

smh

This disappoints me you would include me in that multi-quote. First, I never "Demanded" Apple Change anything, I simply stated I would like a refresh with the physical design, which is my opinion and desired by many.

Second, I never implied at all Apple is "Doomed." Please quote me where that was even stated. And for the record, I am a huge Apple supporter on here. My post history reflects this.

Please don't interject false pretenses on something I never stated or include me in a multi quote that has nothing To do with me.

Either you failed to read what I actually posted or you didn' t understand my viewpoint, Because all you have managed to do is slander, when your completely wrong about what you quoted. The only one I'm shaking my head at, is you.

Last edited:

Basileus1

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
I don't know.

I've been with Apple for years but this is the first time I'm not too excited with their offerings. I still went with the 7 because I trust and know Apple to be reliable, and would probably get the 8 or 8s when my upgrade is up, but that's pretty much why I get the iPhone at this point, familiarity and a device with a better camera and snappier performance.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
This disappoints me you would include me in that multi-quote. First, I never "Demanded" Apple Change anything, I simply stated I would like a refresh with the physical design, which is my opinion and desired by many.

Second, I never implied at all Apple is "Doomed." Please quote me where that was even stated. And for the record, I am a huge Apple supporter on here. My post history reflects this.

Please don't interject false pretenses on something I never stated or include me in a multi quote that has nothing To do with me.

Either you failed to read what I actually posted or you didn' t understand my viewpoint, Because all you have managed to do is slander, when your completely wrong about what you quoted. The only one I'm shaking my head at, is you.
So. I definitely just realized your post was a declaration of hopes not needs like the others I quoted. I apologize.

Especially because I agree with your theories of good year and product development this year for Apple.

Sometimes I get fed up with too many posters here who complain about the lack of internals ("bad camera... only two gig of ram... memory is too low...") as the make it or break it then complain about external design, AFTER Apple changes their biggest complaints (nonblack and antenna lines).

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I don't know if its the same way because I haven't used Android in a while but I used to prefer Google apps on iOS versus Android. On Android they may even offer more features and options but something just didn't feel as nice about them. Not sure if it was the scrolling issues from yesteryear or what.

Nowadays I prefer Apples software hands down. However I preferred their simple approach, lately it seems they getting away from that and packing more and more features into their apps and iOS without overhauling them for the features, making them less intuitive.

Just my opinion.

As far as 'Is the Age of Apple over?'. Not even close. Tech people like us are hard to impress, average consumers are still blown away by their products. Pixel, iPhone, Galaxy, etc etc their all just phones to me, each having their pros and cons. Where Apple excelled (imo) is making a phone then integrating it into their ecosystem so its an extension of their other products. For example, I started this reply on my iPhone...when it started to get long I finished it on my Mac via Handoff. I'm sure Android could excel at this too but it doesn't have a desktop OS and for me Windows phone is out of the question.

Isn't Androids desktop OS Chrome per se?

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Been doing a lot of reading, watching and playing with the Pixel. My opinion is Google with the Pixel nailed it. Has the potential to be equal with the iPhone.

Anyone else have an opinion?

A9 processor beats both the pixel and pixel xl in single core processing power. Real world speed test are really telling too. The software of both iOS and Android is solid but Apple is starting to destroy Android in processors, and because of that I would not buy one. Efficiency is really amazing, and Apple is just slamming Android in it right now.

Last edited:

tippytap90

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2017
Almost every phone since the original iPhone has been an iPhone clone, plus the pixel looks uninspired as hell. I'm sure the software's great but it won't have near the amount of success that the 7 will. Even back in the days of the early Galaxy model's people were claiming 'iPhone killer!', we're yet to see it play out though.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Almost every phone since the original iPhone has been an iPhone clone, plus the pixel looks uninspired as hell. I'm sure the software's great but it won't have near the amount of success that the 7 will. Even back in the days of the early Galaxy model's people were claiming 'iPhone killer!', we're yet to see it play out though.

It's because each disappointed badly in some way. The Htc One m7 had a chance, but the camera was so bad it failed and even scared people some people (me included) away from HTC's Android forever.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So. I definitely just realized your post was a declaration of hopes not needs like the others I quoted. I apologize.

Especially because I agree with your theories of good year and product development this year for Apple.

Sometimes I get fed up with too many posters here who complain about the lack of internals ("bad camera... only two gig of ram... memory is too low...") as the make it or break it then complain about external design, AFTER Apple changes their biggest complaints (nonblack and antenna lines).

I appreciate your apology and acknowledgment that you were wrong for misquoting me.

And I can understand that you might've misread my post. But one thing is for sure, Apple is not perfect and I never claimed them to be. But I certainly don't come on to any of these threads, let alone this forum and bash Apple. I own many of their products and I am a supporter of the company. But if I feel Apple could change and/or make themselves better, I certainly offer my opinion in areas that they could improve. That's the whole point of this website, it's constructive discussion and feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.