Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
An Apple watch can be a waste of money or a cheap buy.
If you are coming from the side of never wearing any watches/wearables, then yes, it seems expensive.

However, if let's say you are currently wearing a branded watch, carrying a pedometer, wearing a fitness tracker, etc, the AW is actually pretty inexpensive as it combines all the functions of those devices into one, and it works with your iPhone.

I was at the position that thought the AW is so expensive. But that's because I stopped wearing a watch when I had my first cellphone, so I'm coming as a person with an empty wrist. But once I saw regular watches priced at thousands of dollars, just because they are branded, AW looks cheap. Still not within my budget, but not expensive at all compared with those branded regular watches.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Defining what a "waste of money" is is relative to the one who is stating it.

Think about those in a very poor countries to whom just having a functional watch is a luxury.

But is it a waste of money? No.

Every time an Apple watch is purchased someone got paid and took care of their personal and family requirements through your funds.

Now what you and I do with the AW is up to us.

Reactions: ladytonya

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Have people buying the apple watch wasted their money how do you feel about this? All I use my watch for now a days is to check the time most of the time i find it easier to use my iPhone.
In order to avoid wasting my money I mindfully focused on the SS Apple watch I bought, aggressively putting it through a complete evaluation before the return period elapsed. Somewhat surprised it had nothing to offer me, I returned it.

Techexp2

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2016
Hi,

It depends upon what kind of model you use in the Apple watch. For me it's great device where i can monitor the activity, Send message, Check schedule, Respond to notification, Keeps everything close to hand and more

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It definitely hasn't been a waste of money for me. I use it everyday. It's been useful in giving me notifications on my wrist, some have been very important. For example it tells me if there are any delays on the public transport route I take to work and gives me enough warning so that I can plan an alternative route. It allows me to triage my notifications.

I've used it as an activity tracker. It's good for reminders as the watch is always with me and so I don't miss the reminder. Quick replies to me messages when I'm on the go and can't get access to my phone.
I'm a nurse so it's useful to me on the floor as I don't have access to my phone for a large part of my shift but I get all my notifications on my wrist. At work I use it whilst taking patients vital observations as it has a stop watch function. I've also used it when on night shifts. I set an alarm to wake me up.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I returned mine, i found it a complete waste of money.
Too slow, not enough apps and its frankly still better to do things on other devices.

Same here. Returned mine within the 14 day limit. I really didn't find much use for it to justify the cost nor did I find it convenient to use. I was more often frustrated at its lack of ability to do what I wanted it to do in an easy or intuitive manner.

I have been using a fitbit for a few weeks now and I find it to be much more useful on a daily basis for fitness tracking. For that function it is much better than the Apple watch and that is what I primarily wanted. So for me the Apple watch was a waste of money but that was because of my personal needs.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I liked mine enough within the 14-day window to keep it.

But, I wasn't 100% sold on it until much later. What pushed me over the edge was when I was out shopping with my wife and realized I was paying attention to my phone instead of her. I wasn't alone -- I saw other husbands and boyfriends trailing behind their women with their phones -- but I didn't want to keep doing it.

So, I put my phone into her purse. I still got some texts from work, and I was able to reply, but I no longer had the compulsion to fiddle around and play Candy Crush or check Facebook.

It became the same at home. I'd plug in the phone as soon as I came home from work, and I rarely had to pick it up until the next morning.

So, for me, because it gave me back my time with my wife… yeah, the Watch was worth it.

Reactions: sean000 and Borin

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I personally don't find my watch to be a waste of money. It has only proven itself more to me as time has gone on. Right after launch when app selection and loading times sucked, I was questioning whether it was worth $400. With more devs making good watch apps and Apple updating watchOS, it has improved tremendously. I mostly use it for Time (duh), Notifications (duh), glances, select apps (Violet for reddit, NBA, Gas Guru, Appy Geek, some social media) and quick info like weather and stock prices.

I find it to be worth every penny and I'm glad I hopped on the early adopter train. Looking forward to the second generation!

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
Mine was a gift so I enjoy it. I do think its a little pricey considering there are alternatives that do just about the same at lower prices. I've said before I'd like it to work independent of the phone but after a few months with it I'm not sure I would really notice a difference. My phone is basically with me all the time. I probably won't upgrade until my apple care runs out or maybe if they released a different colored case that was appealing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.