Is the iPhone played out now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theturtle, Jan 6, 2011.

1. theturtle, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

theturtle macrumors 6502a

I've been mulling on whether or not i should post this question because i dont want to come off sounding like a superficial assclown who thinks that a phone is a status symbol BUT with the verizon iphone EVENTUALLY coming, will the iphone be played out? I realize that MILLIONS of people around the world have it, but still, verizon holds a good chunk of customers. Just think about it, 40+ million (estimate from the 92 mill verizon has) more customers will have the iphone. Will it get to the point where whereever you turn, you see an iphone? (i know its like that already but just imagine 40+ million more). does this thought irk you or do you not really care.

again, don't attack me cause i sound superficial. i know some people feel the same way i do. would like to get the perspective of the people who don't really care so i can see why they feel that way.

edit.
    FOR THE PEOPLE WHO READ THE FIRST POST AND QUOTE IT. THIS ISN'T ABOUT BEING "BETTER THAN YOU" OR BEING "ELITE" ITS THE IDEA OF CONFORMING, BEING UNIFORM. GEEZ :0)

edit 2. (example)
    oh yeah, a good example of what im trying to get at.

you decided on a car but want to go with dark gray because everyone else has the white or black version.

is that being superficial? are you a wrong for not wanting to drive the same color as everyone else? the cars the same price so i doubt you can label the guy "trying to be elite." Some people even wanted the white iphone (back when it first came out) because it was something different. are they "elite" too?

the people who have the harsh tones, need to back off. if you were ever in the example above than you need to chill out. if not, i guess your perfect and you never had a problem with conforming.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have no idea what phone others use
    And I honestly don't care

I use what meets my needs best
    And I don't worry about others

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Superficial posts deserve superficial answers.

4. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i respect that. i wish i could see it that way. i try but for some reason, deep inside, using a phone that EVERYBODY uses somewhat bothers me. but for an odd reason, i never felt that way when i used the 9700, and alot of people had that phone also.

5. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I don't think it is played out. Everywhere you turn, you see another phone company that has copied the look, feel, style of what Apple's iOS has. Just my thought.

6. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Too late. If you didn't want to come off that way, you shouldn't have made this thread.

7. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

D00d, u will alwayz b a wannabe c00l elite snob with ur iphone...u r00lz! :rolleyes:

8. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i hope this isn't gonna be filled up with posts like this. the chastising post was already taken by macdawg. anything else will come off as redundant. ;)

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I didn't buy the iPhone when it came out.
    I bought the 3GS on release day because the reality of needing a smartphone in 2009 was apparent. I bought it because I have had Apple products since the ][.
    I don't feel special because I carry an iPhone.
    I don't feel less special if I am among a whole crowd of iPhone users.

You claim you don't wish to come off as superficial...but, in fact, you are.

10. theturtle, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011

theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

so true. i forgot you never been superficial in your whole life. don't try to act all high and mighty.

is it a crime to be superficial once in a while? why do guys lust for pretty girls?

this shi* is getting out of hand. you guys are attacking me cause im being up front about being superficial? its ironic that you guys are looking down at me yet you guys like hot girls, expensive cars, etc. wtf. am i missing something here?

anyways, i guess it was a mistake posting that. i wasn't aware people were gonna get so offended and were gonna be quick to draw their pointing fingers. :rolleyes:

11. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

12. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i understand how you feel, i love the fact that everyone i know now has a Blackberry yet me and a few others still have our iPhones

I'm a Recent Crackberry Addict

13. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i definitely see them around alot...or hear the lame text tones everywhere. Like others have said though, its not about what others use.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, when you make a post claiming to be better than other people it doesn't usually go down well.

Sure, we probably all have iPhones here, but why should it stop there? Once you show us that you feel this way about a phone we have to think you look at all technology that way.

We all assume you have something else...a bigger computer monitor...a larger hard drive...a nicer car...something that makes you feel superior to everyone else here. So, yeah. People are gonna get offended.

15. theturtle, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reponse. One of the only response that isn't offended. Guess people got the wrong intention of my post. I didn't mean "hey I got a iPhone, I'm so cool" but more in a sense when people (at least some) liked to have unique phones. I guess to word it better, has the iPhone become too uniform. Sorry for any mix ups.
    Please no "if you want customization, go android"

I love the iPhone, just wondering if it has become too uniform (that's what I meant by played out)

Kind of in a way that people like exotics cars cause they like something unique. This has nothing to do with I'm better than you. A seven series is more expensive than a boxter but some people still want the boxter cause it's a Porsche and not as common.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

Honestly, it has been that way for awhile now. Especially if you live in SoCal where an Apple Store is like 20 miles away on whichever direction. Now we have the iPhone 3GS being sold for $49 to expand the market even further.

But personally, you shouldn't care what other people THINK of what you have or what you like. After 5 1/2 years, I still LOVE my Sony PSP. The phat 1000 model which had the best build quality. Even with all the hatred towards it whether because of games or DS outselling it, I didn't give a damn what others think of it. I just punched in 50 hrs playing my fav game of all-time, FFVII, for the third time in my life. The system is a retro gamer's dream come true. I also got a downloaded Sega Genesis Collection game. Genesis and PS1 classics in my PSP. Just installed 32GB using PhotoFast dual micro-sd/pro duo converter. I am rekindling my love with it as of late and enjoying the heck out of it. I can now carry a bunch of downloaded games and classics on it now.

The brands we buy eventually OVERLAP each other. No right or wrong, it is what you PREFER on having. I do think Apple had a banner year in 2010, but in 2011, maybe it is time for Android to shine the brightest as well. You can't hog all the glory. It gets boring after awhile with the same ol, same ol'...

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

It's becoming played out to the people who use their phone as a status symbol, yes indeed. Personally, I don't show my phone off. In fact, I have an ugly black Casemate ID Case on my iPhone 4 that conceals the identity of the phone and I don't really mind one bit. Why? Because I LOVE my ID Case.

In regards to owning an iPhone, I'll continue to use an iPhone until a better option comes along. If that's in a year, cool. Five years, sure. It just suits my needs as an all-in-one device. It's replaced my iPod and point-and-shoot camera, in addition to providing non-stop entertainment, be it via the Facebook app or via the Safari web browser. Never a dull moment. The way it integrates so seamlessly with my music iTunes library, syncs my bookmarks, syncs my notes, I find it hard to find something that's better than my iPhone 4 for myself.

18. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Op, I feel you. I myself don't like getting somethin that everyone else has but I've always wanted one. I was under contract for like four years with another company. Would I say played out, not for the reason that a whole slew of people might get them, but for me the "omgness" of the phone is over. I researched long and hard, heard reviews from tons of sites before buying the iphone 4 but never truly ended up with the same feeling of satisfaction as the reviewer. Oh well, sometimes you have to play with the phone yourself. To sum it up it's either you stay with the phone or buy another.

19. plusonechoi macrumors member

I see it as iPhones just come in handy for many people which is good to see a phone and company doing. It does many things very well and thts ultimately why everyone has one.

20. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

No, but I tell you what I think is fricking played out. Coke and toilet paper! Everybody and ther mother drinks some kind of coke, and use toilet paper. It sucks, because I just feel like part of the crowd when I drink a coke or wipe my ass. I like to feel different, like a cut above, you know what I mean? I've been thinking about switching to sprite and using a Bidet (thing that shoots water in your ass)

21. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

People hate hypocrites and people with a false sense of entitlement
    Why would we think your post is any different?

The iPhone isn't rare, the iPhone isn't that valuable ($700 isn't that much for an electronic device), the iPhone has been out for several years

Why do people think that owning an iPhone makes them part of an elite club?

My guess is ; It's the person without much money, or a person that values what others think of them waaay to much, or to put it simply someone that is uncool, that would feel threatened that other people are buying iPhones.

Cool people never say they are cool. Cool people don't care what other people think of them. uncool people try to buy expensive clothes and cars to try and look cool

When you start placing how you feel about yourself on the opinion people have on things you own= sign of low self esteem

MacDawg is cool

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It doesn't really matter to me if other people have the same phone as me. In fact, pretty much all of my friends have an iPhone. It's just a phone so it doesn't really matter to me. Likely, others will feel the same ... just a phone. Just about everyone from school (HS) has a smartphone now a days. It's not like they can't get an iPhone, they just don't want it. (whereas certain people do want it).

23. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Hahahahahahah, that's funny:D:D

24. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

OP, you should not worry too much about that. For me it's a valid concern that you are raising, not being too comfortable with some kind of uniformity, using an iPhone, but the positives of the iPhone, IMO, outweight that inconvenience: iPhone, especially the iPhone 4, is an extremely well-crafted piece of technology AND a beautiful object, whose design by the way is being copied by a whole bunch of competitors.
    Moreover, having millions of additional users will have positive consequences for the platform, more stimulation for app developers for instance.

PS: I don't have an iPhone :D (but I wouldn't mind having one and if I were to buy a smartphone, there's no way I'd choose anything else)

25. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Couldn't have said it any better...it's a PHONE, not a physical manifestation of my persona. :)