Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the iPhone XR feel too thick?

• Total voters

aeneasvb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Hi all, I'm hesitating between the iPhone XR and the XS Max. Leaning towards the XR as it's cheaper, longer battery and I think it looks better (don't like the stainless steel band or the shininess of the SG XS). But my main concern is its thickness. I saw it in the store and it does feel much thicker than any recent iPhones (coming from a 6). It doesn't feel like a thin phone although I was also checking out the XS at the same time. Maybe the thickness of the XR is making it nicer to hold and use than the Max. Anyhow, I was wondering if the thickness of the XR been bothering anyone who's gotten it so far? Also worried that it's going to feel very bulky when it has a case on it.

Last edited:

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
Haven’t had any issues with the thickness even with a somewhat bulky case, coming from a 6S+.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
No. The XSM is less balanced IMO... regardless, the XR is not too thick.

aeneasvb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Well the size/weight is noticeable but I just don't care.

The weight difference between both phones is really not that much (XSMax:208g / XR: 194g). They're both still heavier than most smartphones out there. The thickness though is noticeable, especially coming from a 6. Is it just a question of getting used to though? And is it bothering in every day life use (putting it in your pants, holding it and so on)?

jp1212

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
OBX
I know the actual dimensions are nominal but there is a noticeable difference to me coming from a 7+.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
The weight difference between both phones is really not that much (XSMax:208g / XR: 194g). They're both still heavier than most smartphones out there. The thickness though is noticeable, especially coming from a 6. Is it just a question of getting used to though? And is it bothering in every day life use (putting it in your pants, holding it and so on)?

I'm coming from a SE so that's what I'm comparing it to.

phillypharm

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2012
I'm coming from an SE and I'm super pleased I got the XR (even with a case on it). I really was hoping for an SE2, but I've come to terms with the fact that it may not happen right now. Even if it does, I love the size of the device. I played with the XS and Max in the stores and compared to the XR, but the XR is fine for my needs. I could afford the mark up, but didn't feel like the extras were worth it to me.

Reactions: DaveyVigs

aeneasvb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I do agree that on paper it doesn't seem that much at all but felt the difference in reality. Maybe I need to check it again.

Also the XR with a case seems to be almost as thick as the iPhone 4, which was quite bulky in my pants pocket but not that annoying as it was much smaller. Just feel that the XR is quite thick for a smartphone in 2018, especially that it's thick and big hence my concern.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
The thickness is not really a problem for me. Of course it's bulkier than my old 6, but it feels better in my pocket than the XS Max did, comparing both with cases on them. XS Max was heavier and larger.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I saw it in the store and it does feel much thicker than any recent iPhones (coming from a 6).

You're coming from iPhone 6, which was Apple's thinnest phone ever at 6.9 mm. Any new iPhone will feel thick due to the larger camera sensor and glass back.

It's like the iPhone SE people calling the XR big. For 2018, it's not a big phone at all.

Reactions: OTACORB

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
You're coming from iPhone 6, which was Apple's thinnest phone ever at 6.9 mm. Any new iPhone will feel thick due to the larger camera sensor and glass back.

It's like the iPhone SE people calling the XR big. For 2018, it's not a big phone at all.

Unfortunately, 2018 phones need 1998 jeans:
71XQ5p%2BoUhL._UX342_.jpg

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
Heck no. The current thickness is what allows the incredibly awesome battery life on it. Wouldn't be worth the trade off at all to make it thinner and lighter only to lose that stellar battery life, IMHO of course.

Rick America

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2007
I do agree that on paper it doesn't seem that much at all but felt the difference in reality. Maybe I need to check it again.

Also the XR with a case seems to be almost as thick as the iPhone 4, which was quite bulky in my pants pocket but not that annoying as it was much smaller. Just feel that the XR is quite thick for a smartphone in 2018, especially that it's thick and big hence my concern.

I agree with you to a point --- I'm coming from a 5S and I can definitely feel the difference between the XR and XS when using them, and I too am worried about the extra width a case for the XR would add. I noticed no real difference carrying either one around in my pocket though --- only in how they felt in my hand. I am slowly convincing myself that I will get used to the XR because I'd like to save the $350 difference that going to the XS would entail (XR/128GB vs XS/256GB).

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Heck no. The current thickness is what allows the incredibly awesome battery life on it. Wouldn't be worth the trade off at all to make it thinner and lighter only to lose that stellar battery life, IMHO of course.
Incredibly awesome ridiculous battery life.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
And this is exactly what people have been asking for over the years. Of course, not everybody is going to be satisfied no matter which direction is taken but I for one am happy they're offering a heavier, bulkier model with stellar battery life alongside the thinner, lighter Xs.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
And this is exactly what people have been asking for over the years. Of course, not everybody is going to be satisfied no matter which direction is taken but I for one am happy they're offering a heavier, bulkier model with stellar battery life alongside the thinner, lighter Xs.
User name checks out

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I have mine in a case and a tempered glass protector so I would say it does feel somewhat thick (compared to my iPhone 7).

Having said that, I’m also one of the guys who’s been berating Apple over its obsession with thinness at the expense of battery life. And with the XR I haven’t been able to break through 50% battery in a day even with 4+ hrs of SOT, something I’ve never had on any iPhone. So it’s hard for me to complain ;)

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

Compared to current offerings sure, but not to legacy phones. Look at the new IPP, thinner and less weight than my current 12.9 which is why I'm upgrading. Back to the phones, larger, heavier, umm no. I'm down for a 5" to 5.5" X/Xs type device. Light weight is important to me and so are dimensions. I carry other things on my person. The Xr is a phablet. Handled one in store. I use a case, always, so it's too large. The Xs has cellular connectivity issues and it's also my absolute limit in size/weight so assed out this year. I'm fine with that as I don't upgrade devices annually. PC every 4-5 years, iPad, every 3 or so, phone I'm used to upgrading every 2 years until now. I'm content with that but even with a brand new battery, the current iOS is eating up my battery faster (iphone 7) than any iOS before it. Hoping for a smaller option in 2019. I see usb-c and 5G LTE on the horizon anyhow. Via my carrier, and selling my current device, I could just about get a Xr 128gb for almost nothing or a Xs for $350 but the Xr is too damn big and the Xs has connectivity issues I won't deal with as well as the chance of PWM/eye issues. I think they should have made the Xr 5.5" or less and charged $49-99 less for starting price. 6/7/8 users and SE users got the back of d's in 2018.

But this year, and last, has seen a change in Apple's prices for most everything. Some substantial increases on phones, iPads, and computers such as MM and MBA. For me it will backfire on them. Like many, I'll be holding onto these things much longer now. Continue with it I'll start looking elsewhere which is a shame as I'm fond of the eco and integration but for me this pricing model won't hold. It's getting silly to me when I can get a state of the art 4k HDR Sony flatscreen for less than I can buy a phone or iPad. Apple is pushing pricing to the extreme and at the same limiting the offerings or cutting people off that want a smaller form factor device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.