Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the Mighty Mouse worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 88 62.9%

• Total voters

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm looking for a mouse for my MBP, and well, I'm sucker for Apple products, which is why I ask about the Apple mouse. I've heard mixed reviews about the mighty mouse. Some people like it, some hate it. Would you recommend it to me, or can you recommend another mouse?

hudsora

Suspended
Feb 24, 2008
Germany
I don't believe so

I was in the same position as you last spring. I just got a new MBP and was coming from a desktop machine, so I thought that I would need an actual mouse. So I bought the Mighty Mouse. At first I used it a ton, but slowly I moved towards my multitouch pad. And now I never use the Mighty Mouse, I have fallen in love with the touchpad and only use the mouse for gaming. . .

Hope this helps!

Hudsora

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I was in the same position as you last spring. I just got a new MBP and was coming from a desktop machine, so I thought that I would need an actual mouse. So I bought the Mighty Mouse. At first I used it a ton, but slowly I moved towards my multitouch pad. And now I never use the Mighty Mouse, I have fallen in love with the touchpad and only use the mouse for gaming. . .

Hope this helps!

Hudsora

I am in the same boat as you :)

I DO have an external Dell mouse, but I just want a new one thats wireless, and I'm the same as you, I love the multitouch trackpad for most things.

Also, why is it that people don't like the Apple Mighty Mouse?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I LOVE the trackpad, but during the day my MacBook is on a stand and I use the wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse... I LOVE it. Easy to use, comfortable for my hand, GREAT battery consumption.. i've basically never had any issues with it in the 3 months that i've had it.

I am in the same boat as you :)

I DO have an external Dell mouse, but I just want a new one thats wireless, and I'm the same as you, I love the multitouch trackpad for most things.

Also, why is it that people don't like the Apple Mighty Mouse?

Well, IMHO i think that people who are into gaming and such would not like the MM. But for me, for regular every day use and MINOR gaming it's PERFECT.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I've had both the wired and bluetooth versions. In short, I wouldn't recommend it. I found it sits too low to the desk to be comfortable (although I have slightly big hands) and the wired version is too light.

My biggest gripe however was that you cannot right-click whilst your finger is resting on the left hand side - you have to totally lift your finger off the left surface for the right surface to register a click.

I've since bought a Logitech MX Revolution. Expensive, but amazing. It's got 13 buttons. 13! I can open, navigate and close multiple tabs in Safari without moving the mouse once. And it's ergonomically designed, so it takes twice as long for your wrist to hurt. The ratchet/freewheel is amazing, I can select and scroll through documents like lightning. Anyway. I like this mouse.

Failing that, go for a Logitech MX 700 if they're still around. A cheap but equally amazing mouse.

AppleMatt

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've had both the wired and bluetooth versions. In short, I wouldn't recommend it. I found it sits too low to the desk to be comfortable (although I have slightly big hands) and the wired version is too light.

My biggest gripe however was that you cannot right-click whilst your finger is resting on the left hand side - you have to totally lift your finger off the left surface for the right surface to register a click.

I've since bought a Logitech MX Revolution. Expensive, but amazing. It's got 13 buttons. 13! I can open, navigate and close multiple tabs in Safari without moving the mouse once. And it's ergonomically designed, so it takes twice as long for your wrist to hurt. The ratchet/freewheel is amazing, I can select and scroll through documents like lightning. Anyway. I like this mouse.

Failing that, go for a Logitech MX 700 if they're still around. A cheap but equally amazing mouse.

AppleMatt

What the heck is Apple thinking with that? I didnt know you had to lift the finger for a right click to register. You just made me decide not to get it :)

I've heard good things about the Logitech X Series (MX, VX, etc.) I think I'll look into those mice.

edit: For the MX Revolution, do you still have to plug in the Bluetooth adapter, or will the internal bluetooth on MBP work?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
What the heck is Apple thinking with that? I didnt know you had to lift the finger for a right click to register. You just made me decide not to get it :)

I've heard good things about the Logitech X Series (MX, VX, etc.) I think I'll look into those mice.

lol.. for real? I didn't realize it is THAT difficult to lift a finger :D

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I use an Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse on my PC instead of the stock keyboard and mouse and they are amazing! I have dropped it multiple times on a hard surface and not even a scratch, on accident of course.

lol.. for real? I didn't realize it is THAT difficult to lift a finger :D

I know, I didn't notice it because... it doesn't really seem like a bother and is that easy.

kaybeee

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2009

edit: For the MX Revolution, do you still have to plug in the Bluetooth adapter, or will the internal bluetooth on MBP work?

The MX revolution is not bluetooth, but you have to put a small receiver in a usb port

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

The MX Revolution is not Bluetooth, unfortunately.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The MX revolution is not bluetooth, but you have to put a small receiver in a usb port

O Ok....I would like to get a bluetooth mouse because the reason why I want to go wireless is so that I have an extra usb port.

And yes, I guess its not that difficult to lift a finger. Playing with my mouse now, it seems like most of the time when I right click I subconsciously lift my fingers off my mouse anyways. So the mighty is back on the table. :)

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
Are there any other viable bluetooth mouse options? I want a mouse but the reports on the mighty mouse aren't good and it's due an upgrade so I don't want to spend the money on it just for it to be upgraded. But if there is a good bluetooth option other than the mighty mouse then I could be tempted.

DarthTreydor

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
i like the mighty mouse ok. it came with my mac pro and i'm satisfied with it although i probably wouldn't have bought one on my own since for what it costs, there are better mice out there.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I voted yes, but honestly, there are much better mice out there, unless you just absolutely need the 360 degree scrolling.

Are there any other viable bluetooth mouse options? I want a mouse but the reports on the mighty mouse aren't good and it's due an upgrade so I don't want to spend the money on it just for it to be upgraded. But if there is a good bluetooth option other than the mighty mouse then I could be tempted.

There is a Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Is that what you're looking for?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
There is a Bluetooth MX Revolution, but it will cost you. You have to buy the MX 5500 keyboard and mouse set.

Every now and then you see the keyboard alone pop up on eBay, so I suspect people have been buying the set just for the mouse. The keyboards fetch a fair whack so if you're prepared to put the effort in you'll probably break even compared to buying the non-Bluetooth one.

AppleMatt

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Well thanks for the advice...I'm still not sure though, lol

The poll isn't helping at all-currently 11-9

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada

AppleMatt

Agreed. The MX Revo is by far, the best mouse I've ever used. And, it's only $10 more than the BT Mighty Mouse.

If you need the BT version, I'd recommend doing as posted above, and just buying the MX 5500 set and eBaying the keyboard.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Can those who dislike it please continue to say WHY that don't like it? That would help me make a better choice.

Thanks.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
The only way i will own one is if im given it free, or if i buy an iMac/Mac Pro.

BECAUSE-
Lift Finger to Right Click
Trackball is crap, uncontrollable, and not needed (And i do alot of PS Work zoomed in)
Overpriced
Few Features
Cramps hand quickly

DYER

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
London, UK
Well I had a mighty mouse for a week and then returned it.
My reasons were following. First off I could not live with the way right click worked - or rather didn't work half the time. Then I also could not get used to the scroll ball i guess it is love it or hate it and i just did not get along. I also got really bad hand cramps from it... I do not know why but I did...
Then the laser was not as good as it was hyped up it could not cope with my wooden desk... again pissed me off...
All in all not a good experience.
My solution to this undesireable problem ?
Logitech VX revolution absaloutely love it. the range is awesome the customisation is perfect and it is just perfect for me.
Now as much as I hate the mouse I could praise the apple wired keyboard no end LOL:D:D:D

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I've got the Mx900 and it has been working hard for for 5 1/2 years. I would highly recommend it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.