Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is the Mighty Mouse worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 88 62.9%

• Total voters

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
In terms of shape and usability, the mighty mouse is fine, in my opinion. I do get a little sore at times when I'm doing some 'mouse intensive' work, like photoshop or something, but nothing too serious. What I hate about the mouse is the scroll ball. It's just the biggest headache to clean. I've taken to cutting up thin strips of sticky tape and slowly rolling them under the ball to get the damned thing workable. I would not recommend a mighty mouse.

This Kensington slimblade trackball looks pretty cool! ... the reviews don't sound so great though :(

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
In terms of shape and usability, the mighty mouse is fine, in my opinion. I do get a little sore at times when I'm doing some 'mouse intensive' work, like photoshop or something, but nothing too serious. What I hate about the mouse is the scroll ball. It's just the biggest headache to clean. I've taken to cutting up thin strips of sticky tape and slowly rolling them under the ball to get the damned thing workable. I would not recommend a mighty mouse.

This Kensington slimblade trackball looks pretty cool! ... the reviews don't sound so great though :(

problem with that kensington is it's even smaller than the MM!

I don't find the scroll-ball cleaning than hard to do, it's just a nuisance to have to do it at all!
I use the black apple microfibre cloth they supplied with the iMac.

dampen cloth, lay out on table, run mouse around upside down with firm pressure in figure 8's to run the ball about. after a few mins, repeat on a dry area and try it in normal use. Has worked every time.

Better idea is that Targus effort;

targus_mouse.jpg

using the same tech as optical mice on top, everyone knows the old ball-mice clagged up - why even use that again?

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
I never received a microfibre (or microfiber since I'm in the US now) cloth with my imac :confused:.

try a Spontex professional Arianne Ultra 1222 from your local auto-dealer/supplier! (anyone who sells Meguiars car wax should do it)

I've even seen them in Tescos for £4!

LeoFio

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
New York
My mighty mouse just started cutting in and out at times by losing the bluetooth signal. It even causes my comp to awake from sleep...

It's out of warranty now, but I think it was from me banging it against my knee too many times out of scrolling frustrations.

eldivino

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
I personally think the mouse is MIGHTY... At first it felt weird and uncomfortable but after a few days of using it I loved it. It just takes a few days getting used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.