Is the new Macbook the 13" MBP killer?

dooyou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
Since a few weeks, I want to buy a 13" macbook pro. But now they had released a new macbook with no differences in compare to the 13" mbp. Okay one is plastic and the other one has the great unibody case.

but is it worth? Also no matte screen that I was hoping for.

1creator

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
I'd like to know to. I just ordered a MBP yesterday with 2.26GHz, 4GB ram, and 160 GB hard drive.

Wondering if I should return it and get the MB or see if there will be a price/spec change in the MBP.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Features the MBP 13" has that the MacBook doesn't:
  • Aluminum unibody
  • Smaller in every dimension and lighter
  • Supports up to twice the RAM (8GB)
  • Firewire 800 port
  • Backlit keyboard
  • SD card slot
  • Infrared, for use with Apple Remote
  • Optional faster processor
  • Twice as many options for hard drive, including SSD
  • Better heat dissipation through aluminum vs plastic
  • No risk of palm rest cracking or yellowing

http://www.apple.com/mac/whichmacbook/compare.html

1creator

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
The MBP 13":
  • Has the aluminum unibody
  • Is smaller in every dimension and lighter
  • Supports up to twice the RAM
  • Has a FW800 port
  • Has a backlit keyboard
  • Has a SD card slot
Alrighty then, I think i'll stick to my order. it gets here on Friday! My first mac!!!! I'm really excited!

1creator

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
So they dropped the price by 100 dollars for the MBP. My MBP just shipped. How do i get the difference in price?

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
In what way, besides price? You get what you pay for.
Not that I would personally buy it, but I'd say it's an excellent Mac if you don't need FireWire. And honestly, given the amount of people I've talked to, with Macs OR PCs, who have no idea what "a FireWire" is, I don't see it as being a big deal for them. The slight redesign is nice.

--

They're still polycarb. I wonder if cracking will still be an issue? No issues ever on my iBook, but I've seen many a cracked MB.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not that I would personally buy it, but I'd say it's an excellent Mac if you don't need FireWire. And honestly, given the amount of people I've talked to, with Macs OR PCs, who have no idea what "a FireWire" is, I don't see it as being a big deal for them. The slight redesign is nice..
I agree that the MacBook is a good notebook, but it doesn't "beat the MacBook Pro" in any respect, except price. Firewire 800 is a MUCH faster connection than USB, which comes in handy when transferring large amounts of data to external hard drives. If you don't need it, or any of the other advantages of the MBP, then the MacBook makes a good choice.

Royal16

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Its $999 and does everything a 13" MBP does with the exception of firewire. But do you really use firewire that often?

plinden

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2004
... I would get the white just because so many douche bags got the 13" MBP because it has the word "PRO" in it.
You don't see the irony of this? You're as concerned with what people think as those who buy the (better equipped) 13" Pro just because it's a Pro. Actually, probably more so since you'd be getting less for your money just to make a point.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Its $999 and does everything a 13" MBP does with the exception of firewire. But do you really use firewire that often? I would get the white just because so many douche bags got the 13" MBP because it has the word "PRO" in it.
The "douche bags" who got the 13" MBP got it for things like the glass trackpad, the lack of plastic that cracked and yellowed, the lack of a quality display, lighted keys... need I say more?