iPhone X is the notch gonna stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elmughrabi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

LOL... I don't even know how it's possible to say that after looking at both phones side by side.. The notch hate is real from some. It's funny though because most of the hate comes from non owners, some who claim to have the phone but might not, and yes a few who do and just don't dig it..

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

You would expect people who don’t own the X to be more critical though wouldn’t you? Would you purchase something at the premium of the X if you thought the front of it looked gash?

3. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

No I actually would not.. How can someone have such a rock solid opinion on something they never used, owned or spent any quality time with. And no, 5 minutes in a store does not count...

I was concerned about the notch even after playing with one in store however, after actually owning it and using it, I no longer have those concerns.

It's cool to have an opinion but the constant 'as a matter of fact' bashing of it from people who don't have one is hilarious and comical..

4. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I don’t think you need quality time with anything to have an opinion on it’s aesthetics. You know straight away if you like the look of something.

As I’ve said many times, the notch is something I’d get used to, but being a rather particular product designer, it will always be something that looks like a design compromise marketed into a distinctive feature for me.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Around 40 million consumers bought the other iPhones that didn’t have a notch so other designs are favourable to a healthy chunk of Apples recent sales. No opinion is more reliable than another when personal preference drives the consumers wallet.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

When was the X available for pickup in store compared to the other 40 million? It's easy to skew numbers however someone wants to meet their argument.

Personally I don't care how many of this that or the other Apple has sold. I know for a fact they sold an X to me and I like it...

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I agree. It’s also easy to suggest the X is the most popular because it’s sold the best apparently in its short time on sale. The truth is we don’t know and I doubt many of us really care.

8. russelljg macrumors member

Because there are people who buy 4 or more without thought just because it’s Apples latest. If Apple released an Xs tomorrow, they would moan at the same time they handed over the credit card.

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Nah, even though the iPhone market is a bit different, we already saw what happened when the iPad release was six months apart. People complained about theirs suddenly "feeling old", but they didn't run out in droves to pick up the newest. Most people aren't going to drop over 1K for a new X model four months later.

10. PT8648, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

PT8648 macrumors newbie

I get it too, but still don't like it, and it undermines the core premise of the X’s design- “all screen." Will refrain from purchasing.
    Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.56.54 PM.jpg

11. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Your image conveniently left out the bottom of the phones.. LOL

Let try that again with a true representation.........

Attached Files:

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Neither of the top images were of a Galaxy S8 though? It was a representation of the X and what it could have been.

Regardless though I do think the S8 has the nicer looking front. The iPhone wins at the back though IMO.

13. raqball, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

I understood that and I used the S8 as an example of top and bottom bezels. What could have been is run of the mill IMHO as I like the way the X has implemented the design over the S8...

I still wonder how many of the complainers actually have and use the phone though...

14. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I think that Apple should copy samsungs S8 screen shape the notch is annoying total black area would be nicer and they could put all the info inside the black area in white colors

15. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

The second picture seems only to black out the areas to the left and right of the notch and is not a true bezel since the time and wifi icons are still showing in the upper left and right corners. Seeing them side by side, I actually prefer the notch design. At least in this comparison.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I have no interest in owning either phone, I just hold the opinion I do. I don’t think it matters if people own the X or not as owning something doesn’t qualify you more to hold an opinion on aesthetics. We all have our own subjective opinions on what we like the look of.

17. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Nothing wrong with an opinion but it should be based on actual usage. You might find, as I and others have, that the notch is a non factor after using it for a few days... Now I do concede that some might still have an issue with it as heavy video watchers may but for the most part, the notch is a non issue for most who own it.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I agree you won’t have those who purchased the iPhone X of upgrading annually, unless they are an avid iPhone fan. Mainly because as you said, the price point is expensive and they have to pay off a certain amount to be able to upgrade as it is, and most won’t pay over thousand dollars in full for an iPhone.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I’m pretty used to judging products based on first impressions and aesthetics and not everything needs to be manufactured or out to use before knowing if you like the look of it or not. It’s personal taste at the end of the day and I don’t need to use the iPhone X for any period of time to know if I like a certain part of it. You get used to something and look past it, but it’s possible to still think it looks crap. That’s my view of the notch and I don’t doubt i’ll own an iPhone with a notch in a few years time.

20. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

the program is upgrade after 1 year or paid half of the phone

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I don’t use the Upgrade Program, however Most carriers are usually when the device is paid off at the halfway mark, then you can upgrade during that time frame.

22. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    This can replace the notch.

23. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

AT&T has a few options for upgrading when the phone is financed.

1. You can pay the remaining phone balance off in full and upgrade (you keep old phone)
    2. You can make a partial payoff and trade in old phone

Run of the mill Samsung and LG copy = No thanks!

24. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

That's OK for aesthetics. But what about features? Are you strictly speaking about aesthetics?

25. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Can I hook it up to my Mac to admin it? No? Complete fail.