iPhone X is the notch gonna stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elmughrabi, Feb 12, 2018.

1. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Yeah I was strictly speaking about aesthetics. For me there wasn’t anything particularly different on the X at this point in terms of features, just alternatives.

2. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

I can see your point. I am not a fan of the notch, but I really loved the display and gestures. The gestures alone won me over to the X.

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

I think overall it’s a nice phone and the notch wouldn’t have put me off buying it despite thinking they could have done better. I think it lets the whole design down. The price is the major thing I dislike though and it’s meant all these new features are years away yet for me unless they surprise us with a decent package in the 6.1” iPhone that’s rumoured for this year. I have a horrible feeling it’s going to be the equivalent of an iPhone 5C version of the X though. If it is i’ll buy a boring old iPhone 8.

4. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

--- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2018 ---
    you didn't get it , I just wanted to shaw how Apple can solve the problem with the notch, see the picture not the make of the phone

5. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

With bezels at the top and bottom it would look almost exactly like an S8 or an LG.. In my opinion that's a run of the mill look and then Apple would be accused of copying others. The notch is fine and after a little use you don't even notice anymore. Unless you are a heavy video watcher, the notch is a non issue..

6. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

So you are proposing a bezel and giving up a line in display for status? That equals the loss of two lines of display? Not for me. I bought the X because of the elimination of bezels.

7. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

No you put the status info in the black area

8. Clogger Suspended

Clogger

If it doesn't bother that's cool, but IMHO if a feature impacts in any way it is a flawed design, you may never intend to play games or watch movies on the X but if that one time you do i.e on a train , bus , waiting room etc.. and that experience is dampened because of the notch then to me that matters.

9. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

Watched a couple of youtube videos yesterday while sitting at the DMV. Oddly enough I survived and the notch didn't bug me...

10. Clogger Suspended

Clogger

Fair enough , there are apps at the time I had the X that defaulted to full 18:9 (this may have changed already)

The reality is if more and more smart phones use 18:9 , then content will be created to take advantage of that.

11. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

[​IMG]

Exactly. And the curves at the bottom of the display demand curves at the top of the display, so the screen has four rounded corners, and goes edge-to-edge, and puts the clock and status indicators off the primary viewing area. It's full of win. I love the notch.

12. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

You say you dig the notch, as if it was a new spec or new feature or something. The reality is, if the notch wasn't there but the X still had everything else including no top bezel, you'd probably dig it more.

Don't confuse making do with something as digging it.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Actually, I think your post is more confusing than anything. All that member said was some people continue to post their disdain for the notch over and over again, because they likely feel the need to likely complain about something that they can’t change themselves. So you either support the current form of the iPhone or shun it all together. But continually complaining about it doesn’t make the notch go away either. Some just don’t have an issue with it.

14. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

The notch isn't really "missing screen" from the top of the phone, as much as it's two extra "ears" of screen for displaying indicators that don't take up space that can be reserved for the apps.

Apple's mistake was letting full screen video and games take a bite out of the picture by extending the image into those ears, WITHOUT giving us an optional setting to use as much screen as possible that would still form a rectangle without the bite. Apple "rectangle" screen is too small with margins that are too big, and they might as well have a bezel at that point.

15. Clogger Suspended

Clogger

This is pretty much what I think, it's poor software utilisation.

16. HolyGrail, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018

HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Non issue for you, but people are subjective and just like the flat tire on the moto 360, they'll never get use to the Apple Ibrow.

17. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Yeah, but Apple shouldn't have allowed that keyboard to extend into the notch, while maybe it's okay on a racing game that doesn't put important info where the notch would intrude. But Apple punishes developers who avoid the notch, due to their guidelines.

18. WashupDawg macrumors regular

To extend the argument of poor software utilization. The fact that Apple neglected to include the battery percentage screams failed UI design to me.

19. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Wrong.

The notch tells the world I've got an iPhone X that cost $1,200 at an Apple Store and not a used iPhone 6 that cost $49 on Craigslist. Call me shallow, but that's a little important to me.

I don't wear cheap shirts, I don't wear cheap shoes, I don't wear cheap watches, I don't drive cheap cars, and I certainly don't use cheap phones.

You dig?

20. raqball macrumors 68000

raqball

I agree, kind of...

For me it's not about telling the world I have an X nor is it about telling the world I have a 1K phone.. I dig the notch because it's unique. During my usage I don't even notice the notch is there. When I do notice it, I appreciate it's uniqueness...

If it had a top and bottom bezel like the S8, S9, LG's then it would be a run of the recent looking mill of phones..

21. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Yes, I agree with this too. I don't notice the notch at all during usage, it doesn't interfere with the user experience, if others didn't mention it in nasty ramen threads I wouldn't even remember its there except when others near me on a train or plane gawk over my shoulder.

22. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I like your stile but AW and iPhone for $1200 ? so cheap? you should pay more

23. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Sums up how I feel and why the only time the notch bothers me is while watching video. I believe the larger screen of the X+ should remedy this issue. Video will be rectangular the way it is displayed on a current plus model. On the X, the rectangular screen is smaller which also contributes to the hate the notch debate.

24. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

Would you buy one of these if it was Apple and unique?

Apple-TV-with-notch-1.jpg