Is the upcoming MBPr going to be thinner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by washburn, May 2, 2013.

1. washburn macrumors 6502

How likely is this going to happen?

Is it too soon?

2. Dazant macrumors member

Apple just released the new design last year , new designs usually last for a couple of years so I'm 99% sure it will not be thinner ;)

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

In my opinion,

Too soon. This will strictly be a CPU/GPU update, maybe an upgraded camera. I don't even think we'll see 802.11AC and I'm not even sure if there's a new Thunderbolt chip or not.

But! It should be a pretty nifty update if you've been waiting on purchasing one.

4. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

As far as I see it, it will just be a spec bump, maybe a couple more features. No major design overhaul, however.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Very very very unlikely. Apple spends a ton of money in R&D for new designs. They wouldn't ditch this one after not even a year. They never changed a design that quickly before.

6. washburn thread starter macrumors 6502

Well there was a rumor that Apple is sourcing parts for a thinner design...

Also because the optical drive is gone and the un-upgradable nature of the device, updating is a lot easier now, so the device is kind of like the iPhone/ipad that is going for thinner/lighter/powerful because other manufactures are competing and racing to be the first.

I'm expecting a thinner design.

7. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Agreed mostly. I don't expect one, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

8. vpro, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

nifty?

Nifty is all we got going on with apple as of late people. Nifty gadgets which will cost you an arm and sometimes even a leg for something "neat" and "nifty", make your self image/status in life better than it is with spending a lot of hard earned cash on an apple consumer name brand good today.

Nifty.... Right?

If and only IF - however, they have a thinner lighter more powerful 13" or 17" retina and both with majorly reduced bezels - I WILL BUY 2 of each.

I'm not holding my breath.

9. stagmeister macrumors regular

The rMBP is pretty thin already. I expect that Apple will continue to make each iteration slightly thinner, similar to the iPhone & iPad. But they have already been running into problems, which are the ports; removing the ethernet port and replacing it with Thunderbolt, in part, was a solution to the problem that Ethernet ports are big. Same thing with the optical drive, with the Lightning port on the iPhone/iPad, MagSafe, etc. Apple will need to keep changing the ports to make these devices any thinner.

Plus there is the issue of battery tech. Personally, I would **love** to have an rMBP which is just as thick as the cMBP, but with a battery that is twice as large and thus the computer has twice the length of charge. Sometimes I think that Apple's pursuit of thinner and thinner just isn't that important at this point, I'd rather have other kinds of advances (like in battery life).

10. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

I'm not expecting a thinner design. However, Apple may well do a slightly thinner and lighter laptop, keeping the same design. You must have noticed that the 13" rMBP is slightly thicker than the 15" rMBP. You may also have noticed that there have been small variations in weight (but not in dimensions, as far as I'm concerned) between two different generations of previous MacBook designs.

Therefore, I expect the design to be the same. However, I expect some minor variations in thickness and weight as technology evolves.

What I do expect is Apple to release a thinner and lighter MacBook Air. If it doesn't happen in 2013, it certainly will in 2014.

11. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

You're right about the design. That won't likely change. But calling it just a spec bump is putting it mildly. You should read the Haswell news from yesterday. It's apparently bigger than speculated, with as much as a 100% GPU bump. That and the 802.11 AC Wifi in addition to the fact that its a true 2nd generation to a somewhat glitchy, expensive product constitutes more than a mere spec bump.

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I can't see it becoming more thin. I see just an upgrade with the internals, no design change for the next revision.

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

And a 100 % theoretical CPU (AVX2, Haswell new instructions) jump (≈ 80 percent in real-world applications).

14. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

80% sounds nice. I am thinking that perhaps I made the right decision by deciding in October that I was going to wait for this when I was inches away from laying down my money.

15. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Very close to 0% chance.
    I don't expect Apple to do a redesign, no matter how minimal, until 2016.
    The only thing that could change are ports, but even then, I don't see why they'd be revised in the near future.

You'll be disappointed guaranteed.

16. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Looks like you're pretty happy with Apple's 'nifty' from your signature, eh? That's about $10k in the last 18 months on the highest end rMBP, iMac and late 2011 17" MBP? With some very expensive SSDs in there to boot! I can certainly tell you're not holding your breath!

...and I can see why! I, too, was a 17" user...solely. Still have a pair of 2011s we use for the business. However, these days...and since last summer, my personal...go everywhere option is the exact same 15" rMBP you've got. What's the problem? I'm sure enjoying 'nifty'. Makes me laugh reading about those still waiting on these sweetheart rMBPs because they're 'glitchy' ;)

J

17. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Literally just read about Haswell before seeing your post. They better put a decent iGPU in their chips this time around, after being slanted so badly over the years. As well as wireless AC, really looking forward, good job I originally planned to get an rMBP for christmas this year then :eek:

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Absolutely no chance. They'll put more in the same chassis first, before reducing the size. The Air is already knocking on the door and will do even more so if it gets Halswell and eventually Retina. The "big brother" rMBP has to significantly up-spec in power and battery life to stay distinct.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are lots of rumors, but in the past Apple has ridden designs on things like notebooks for 3-4 years. You are setting yourself up for disappointment as it's thin enough that making a noticeable difference in weight with the current materials would be difficult.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Too soon, apple likes to hang on a given design for years. Just look at the Mac Pro, or prior to the unibody design of the MBP. The prior MBP non unibody design dates back to the powermac.

No, Apple will hang onto the form factor.

If anything the cMBP may use the thinner rMBP design, i.e., no more cMBP

21. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Any thinner and you'd have to be sacrificing structural integrity and internal airflow. Not to mention the ports would have to go on the palm rest- Thunderbolt ports are almost the entire thickness of the chassis.

Not a chance.

22. B... macrumors 68000

B...

MacBook Air is thinner than the rMBP at its thickest point and still manages to have a Thunderbolt port.

23. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Agree. The 13 inch rMBP seems to be thicker precisely to allow a good air flow, so doubt we will see a thinner 15 inch rMBP on the 2nd generation. What I would not be surprised, though is to see a smaller black edge on the screen, meaning either a slightly larger screen or a slighly smaller footprint.

24. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

The difference in thickness (1.6mm) is in the screen assembly and the beveled underside. The thickest part of the port area on the MBA is the same thickness as the sides of the 15" Retina. The bevel on the Retina is thicker to allow airflow and make room for the air intakes. And as much as I love the MBA's taper, it's only possible because of the ULV processor and smaller battery.

There are other engineering issues. How do you make a 95WHr LiPo battery any thinner? How do you eliminate the screen bezel and still allow room for WiFi and Bluetooth antennas, or the LED backlights (the screen is edge lit)?

25. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

And my wife says she is going to lose 30 pounds (again).

updating the innards and retooling all of Foxconn to make a different body are two different things. Guess which one is more difficult?

The iPad3 actually got thicker.

I'm expecting your disappointment. If the MBP's get any thinner they will topple over when you sneeze.