Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I don't know if I think the watches themselves are overpriced. They are pricey, not sure if it's overpriced though. I do think the bands are overpriced which probably factors in to the cost of the overall watch price when purchased.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Having bought a lot of watches, I don't think the apple watch is overpriced. It's one of the cheaper watches I've bought, especially given the quality of construction. I think the Milanese band is a good deal. The classic buckle is overpriced. The link bracelet is inline with other high quality steel bracelets I've bought. The leather loop is hard to compare to other leather bands. Most quality leather bands are sub-$100. There is more going on with the leather loop, though.

Kirtaner

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
Toronto, ON
The question of whether it is overpriced or not isn't a single truth - it depends on each user. For someone who gets tons of notifications every day and finds a quick glance at their watch to triage what does and doesn't need immediate attention and who uses it to then prioritize tasks, who is active and wants to keep on top of fitness targets, activity patterns, exercise and challenges, who has their iPhone in a location that is out of immediate reach or where picking up their phone to look at it would be an issue for any number of reasons, who likes a timepiece which is versatile in information delivery and is very customizable, who wants wrist-based glances at important information such as weather, local restaurants, walking directions etc, or who is simply a tech-junkie looking for a new and rather clever toy, then no, it's far from overpriced.
I fit into every single category of user that you described.

42mm SS owner.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I think the SS is priced right, as long as they don't product refresh in less than 2 years, I think for the money people are spending to have them upgrade in anything less would be wrong.

I also feel like Apple is way off in their band pricing, 3rd Party bands are going to be the norm...

I agree. If this watch will last me 5 years and be compatible I'd be ok with that at the price I paid.

And yes, bring on the 3rd part bands, PLEASE!! Lol

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I agree with you on the price for the sport, but I wouldn't necessarily say they look cheap. Especially to the people who spent their hard earned cash on one, that's just cold. I know it's your opinion but have a little class!

We are talking about product dollar value specifically in this thread. I made this comment to an Apple Store employee at try-on and he agreed with me. But it was probably a 'yes man moment' and of course he would encourage me to go SS. I am not trying to offend anyone. It is my opinion as to whether it looks like a $400 product. And I simply don't think it does.

Does it offer more functionality than a Galaxy Gear or other such device. Yes. But the finish simply doesn't say $400 to me. And I personally think the Classic Buckle should be included on the SS at $600 with the Sport band offered separately but not as the SS base. A $600 SS watch should include the leather strap. Then offer the Modern Buckle at $650 or maybe $700 in BOTH the 38 and 42 mm sizes. The Leather Loop could also be priced at $650 or $700. Price the Milanese at $700 or $750. And price the Link at $800, $850 or $900.

And I am talking 42 prices on all those above. Not quoting two prices because of the 38/42 split. I think the band pricing is too escalated.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I can see how some may feel this way but I am happy with my purchase. Of course I only bought the 38mm SG Sport. I figured I never wore a watch so wasn't sure if I would like it. And didn't know if 42mm was too big for me. And finally figured if I do like it maybe I'll spring for a bigger nicer one next generation.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Supply vs demand will judge if the watch is overpriced. If sometime this summer Apple cuts the price, then you have your answer.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
The value of something is determined by how much potential buyers are willing to pay for it. If the Apple Watch was overpriced sales would be slow. Given that production cannot keep up with demand shows that if anything the Apple Watch is underpriced.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Let me put is this way.

I probably think it's over priced given it's realistic lifespan as a "Current" product.

If this was Apple Watch 5 or 6, and hence a long way down the road, then no, you would probably be keeping it many years, as all the early glitches, manufacturing bugs, and hardware improvements would then be behind you.

Bit for a v1.00 which is already showing up issues that need dealing with, you can be sure this is going to be old and out of date sooner rather than later, and resale value of a Watch v1.00 is going to take a hard hit unless you get rid of it fast, the moment v2 is hinted at.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
USA
We are talking about product dollar value specifically in this thread. I made this comment to an Apple Store employee at try-on and he agreed with me. But it was probably a 'yes man moment' and of course he would encourage me to go SS. I am not trying to offend anyone. It is my opinion as to whether it looks like a $400 product. And I simply don't think it does.

Does it offer more functionality than a Galaxy Gear or other such device. Yes. But the finish simply doesn't say $400 to me. And I personally think the Classic Buckle should be included on the SS at $600 with the Sport band offered separately but not as the SS base. A $600 SS watch should include the leather strap. Then offer the Modern Buckle at $650 or maybe $700 in BOTH the 38 and 42 mm sizes. The Leather Loop could also be priced at $650 or $700. Price the Milanese at $700 or $750. And price the Link at $800, $850 or $900.

And I am talking 42 prices on all those above. Not quoting two prices because of the 38/42 split. I think the band pricing is too escalated.

Fair enough. And I like your pricing a lot better than Apples!! #

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
The value of something is determined by how much potential buyers are willing to pay for it. If the Apple Watch was overpriced sales would be slow. Given that production cannot keep up with demand shows that if anything the Apple Watch is underpriced.

I am not sure if that is true. iPhone is also in high demand, we don't really see Apple raising the price on iPhone.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Let me put is this way.

I probably think it's over priced given it's realistic lifespan as a "Current" product.

I agree. The other watches last a very long time and is virtually the same. Apple watch will become obsolete. And Apple will have to update it every year, because other tech companies will produce better smartwatches if Apple doesn't. So... a stainless steel watch $600+ will be obsolete in a year. Now, it might be worth the price just based on material and workmanship and functionalities... but still... are we really ready to pay $1200+ every two years to replace our phones and watches?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Based on the supply they have and the demand the watches are clearly underpriced.

All controlled and manipulated by Apple. Reminds me of the lines outside nightclubs.....

----------

Yes it's overpriced. If apple expects people to upgrade thier iPhones and watches each cycle, this is a very expansive accessory. In the end , it does not matter, if I was really into smart watches, the SS apple watch is awesome, and in a class of its own. The price would be worth it to me, though given I am not sold on smart watches, too expansive for my liking. If the Apple watch was the only watch I owned I would be okay with the price, as I would want the best smart watch out there. You could argue every Apple product is overpriced.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I am not sure if that is true. iPhone is also in high demand, we don't really see Apple raising the price on iPhone.

There is nothing that stops them from underpricing their wares (except for a share holder rebellion).

But I have a feeling that Apple thinks the iPhone prices are just about right. After all, they do have some stiff competition from the likes of HTC and Samsung. Raising the prices just a little could see them lose a fair bit of sales.

The watch on the other hand sells as if there was no competition. Apple literally has to fend off angry mobs (if MR is anything to go by) that can't get their watches soon enough and go as far as calling the product launch the "worst ever in Apple's history", simply because they don't get their watches quickly enough.

----------

Yes it's overpriced.

No, it's not. If it was overpriced it would not sell, by definition.

Last edited:

RobbertPatrison

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2015
Cupertino, CA
The hardware bill of materials for my stainless steel Apple Watch is less than $100, while I paid over $700. That is a 7x markup for marketing, software and profit. Let's compare that to some other products:

• iPad Air 16G BOM: $275, Price: $499 = 1.8X
  • iPhone 6 16G BOM: $200, Price: $650 = 3.25X
  • Casio Digital Watch BOM $5, Retail $20 = 4X
  • Seiko Stainless Solar watch BOM: $15, Retail: $100 = 6X
  • Longines Hydroquest Stainless steel watch: BOM: $50, Retail: $852 = 17X
  • Louis Vuitton bag: BOM: $100 Retail Price $1000 = 10X
  • Chanel No5 Perfume BOM: $10, Retail $140 = 14X
  • La Mer Moisturizing cream BOM: $4, Retail: $130 = 30X

Given that the AW is a luxury good, yet is a much more of technological marvel that any of the above, a 7X factor is not bad at all. I'd say its cheap.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I agree. The other watches last a very long time and is virtually the same. Apple watch will become obsolete. And Apple will have to update it every year, because other tech companies will produce better smartwatches if Apple doesn't....

I have no doubt that Apple will release new models in a year - it would be a poor business model given the nature of the tech industry that wasn't geared to planned obsolescence - but that isn't to say they will not update firmware, as they do in all their other iOS devices, to keep feeding users fixes, enhancements and upgrades.

I'd expect the current model to stay current in firmware terms for a couple of years or so, meaning that users will only miss out on new hardware features or design aesthetics for a while yet.

alxy8s

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Athens, GA
I think it's pushing the upper limits of an acceptable price point. The bands are what blow my mind.

I actually sort of respect Apple for not selling them nearly at cost or at a loss (doesn't Microsoft do that?) to inflate their sales.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
The sport and the Watch are at the top end of what I consider an acceptable price. Taken on it's own, $550 for the Watch with sport band is high, but if I think about it in terms of it being a premium over the sport and what I got for the extra cost, it doesn't seem as bad. I can accept the sport priced at $350, and the extra $200 for ss and a sapphire crystal makes sense.

I think the ss link bracelet is fairly priced. I haven't seen one in person yet, but it looks substantial and if it feels as good as it looks then probably worth the cost. When you put it together with an already $550 Watch though, it starts to feel pricey. It's a beautiful piece of tech yes, and I find the watch in general very useful, but $1000 for something that will possibly be outdated in a year or so can make one pause. That said, I have the ss link bracelet on order, ships in 2-4 weeks, and I can't wait to get it.

The modern buckle also feels a bit overpriced. A strip of leather, two connectors, and a buckle for $250? Yikes! If they ever start selling them individually, I'll be placing an order for the soft pink. I tried one on at an Apple store. I absolutely loved it.

My hope is that the Watch is a success, Apple continues to make and improve them and the v1 bands can be used on the v2 watch. Spread out over 2-4+ years, vs only 1-2 years, spending this much won't hurt as much.

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
$200 is what i would pay for the sport one, so yeah it's overpriced at 400 or whatever it costs.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I have no doubt that Apple will release new models in a year - it would be a poor business model given the nature of the tech industry that wasn't geared to planned obsolescence - but that isn't to say they will not update firmware, as they do in all their other iOS devices, to keep feeding users fixes, enhancements and upgrades.

I'd expect the current model to stay current in firmware terms for a couple of years or so, meaning that users will only miss out on new hardware features or design aesthetics for a while yet.

This. And hopefully the band latch will stay the same for years, so that one could potentially buy a new model and still use bands we're buying now. Wonder if they'll sell future models with the band being optional even?

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
In Canada the Black Stainless with Black link bracelet is at a 35% premium versus the US store price. Exchange rate makes up 22 of that but it is the worst of the ones I have checked for abuse of the difference in currency.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
No, it's not. If it was overpriced it would not sell, by definition.

This is an arguable concept.

Say I make some coconut cookies, but I am famous, and I tell everyone I am only making 12 of them a year, one each month.

It costs me $1 to make them, but I tell people only the very select few will be able to taste my work, as I'm pricing them at $5000 each.

Some people, with more money than sense, and want to show off their ability to buy anything, in front of others, to brag and parade their wealth, pay me the $5000 for my $1 coconut cookie.

Is my cookie overpriced?
I have some rich people who want them. They want to be seen to be rich, and buying the cookie, for them is simply to show this off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.