Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Do I feel like it's overpriced? Yep. But that's true of any Apple product. In general, I look to save a few hundred no matter what Apple product I'm buying (besides the obvious like apple tv, etc). For the Watch, I sold two extras and knocked 500 off mine. I'm ok with that.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Actually I feel the opposite. The Sport looks plastic and cheap, like a $199-$299 device at best. The SS actually looks quite nice and could warrant the $600 price tag. The issue I have is that I like link bands and the only one offered is $950-$1,100 depending on color and size.

And so I feel that on the SS the bands are overpriced. I hate the idea that tech that by nature has planned obsolescence, unlike a Tag or Movado or other 'timepiece' has such a price to it. One could say "I'll get the Link and when I replace the watch every 2? years I can still keep my band." Except we don't know how well the band will hold up and whether Apple will pull a design switch and make future watches incompatible with current bands.

I will also say as Lefty and someone who really loves Apple aesthetics, I do not understand why the crown isn't centered with the button on the other side. This would make it much more symmetrical, visually pleasing, and make it look identical regardless of orientation.

See concept here: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21174829/

Jony ive said that if the crown was centered it would be too reminiscent to the normal crown on watches. and it would be inherently confusing to people because once used, it wouldn't behave as people remembered a normal crown to behave - it has a different function. So, he had to also make the positioning slightly different to normal.

'the idea was to be strangely familiar, but different' was the quote he used.

seems strange i know, but its little things like this that sets Apple's UI team apart to other manufacturers'.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Say I make some coconut cookies, but I am famous, and I tell everyone I am only making 12 of them a year, one each month.

Yes, that's a way to inflate the value of your product. It works because since you only make so few you only have to find a few idiots to buy them. This "limited edition" strategy (one limited edition after the other, of course) is very popular with traditional watch makers. But this is not what Apple is doing. They're selling way more than the competition. Their price is genuine.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Jony ive said that if the crown was centered it would be too reminiscent to the normal crown on watches. and it would be inherently confusing to people because once used, it wouldn't behave as people remembered a normal crown to behave - it has a different function. So, he had to also make the positioning slightly different to normal.

seems strange i know, but its little things like this that sets Apple's UI team apart to other manufacturers'.

Strangely familiar but different.

braun-bm0106-watch-0.jpg

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

And yet Jony couldn't be bothered to make a lefty model of the watch with crown on the left side top so that when worn on the right hand the crown was above the button as it is for right handers.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
And yet Jony couldn't be bothered to make a lefty model of the watch with crown on the left side top so that when worn on the right hand the crown was above the button as it is for right handers.

Really? I always thought of Jony as a militant lefty who couldn't be bothered designing a watch for us righties with the crown below the button. We're stuck with having to reach all the way up...
:rolleyes:

----------

Every successful consumer product is going to have high profit margins. It's only overpriced if no one's willing to pay for it.

Bingo.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Do you see companies like Rolex or Omega making left handed watches? And it's not like you can flip those watchfaces upside down either.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
All controlled and manipulated by Apple. Reminds me of the lines outside nightclubs.....

----------

Yes it's overpriced. If apple expects people to upgrade thier iPhones and watches each cycle, this is a very expansive accessory. In the end , it does not matter, if I was really into smart watches, the SS apple watch is awesome, and in a class of its own. The price would be worth it to me, though given I am not sold on smart watches, too expansive for my liking. If the Apple watch was the only watch I owned I would be okay with the price, as I would want the best smart watch out there. You could argue every Apple product is overpriced.

You could argue that, but you would be wrong. Apple has the highest valuation of any company in the US because they make products that people buy at the price they set.

You are conflating something being too expensive for you vs. is it overpriced for the market, given the supply and the demand. They have set a price point for which more people want to buy it than Apple has the ability to meet with supply. So it is, by definition, underpriced.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
My opinion:

• The Sports pricing is fine
  • Buying SS is purely a fashion choice, so whether the extra spend is 'worth it' is purely down to how much the buyer values the different appearance. No-one else can answer that for anyone other than themselves.
  • (No I don't think the Saphire screen is worth the extra - going SS is purely about fashion and vanity)
  • The bands, on their own, are total rip-offs, except perhaps the Sports bands. The speed at which Apple announced the approved band program shows they always expected 3rd party bands to be popular, so priced their own brands at the high end to lure the early adopters who had cash to burn. Exponentially more expensive for what you get compared to the SS watches - you must REALLY love the bands to blow that sort of money on them. I'll be interested in more sanely-priced 3rd party bands once they start arriving.

shawnwich

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2007
Houston, TX
I thought so at first, but considering how much its used (16 hours day) - the pay per use is quite low. I think the refresh cycle is going to be quite long for most people. Probably around 2 to 3 years.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2014
My opinion:

[*]Buying SS is purely a fashion choice, so whether the extra spend is 'worth it' is purely down to how much the buyer values the different appearance.

No. Stainless steel and sapphire are more durable. This goes beyond a "fashion choice" There are very real reasons watch makers use these materials other than "fashion"

Personally I like the anodized look of the sport better, but figured that if I was going to spend the money on a watch it should be made of real watch materials.

It will be interesting to see how the anodizing on the sport holds up to being beaten with buttons, cuff links, zippers, Velcro, and general bumps and nicks, and other daily hazards watches face. Even a nylon jacket can act like sand paper on a screen over time.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You could argue that, but you would be wrong. Apple has the highest valuation of any company in the US because they make products that people buy at the price they set.

You are conflating something being too expensive for you vs. is it overpriced for the market, given the supply and the demand. They have set a price point for which more people want to buy it than Apple has the ability to meet with supply. So it is, by definition, underpriced.

Not it's not. When you control supply, creating an artificial demand, does not mean the product is underpriced !

Comparing it to other smart watches that do exactly the same thing, it's overpriced.

Xtremjeepn

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2014
Not it's not. When you control supply, creating an artificial demand, does not mean the product is underpriced !

Comparing it to other smart watches that do exactly the same thing, it's overpriced.

Restricting supply doesn't "create" demand. Not letting me hold a bag of dog poo you just picked up doesn't make me want it any more than I did if you offered to let me hold it;)

What evidence do you have that makes you think Apple is restricting the supply?

Honestly, it's in Apples best interest to deliver as many products as fast as possible. You don't want people to have time to rethink their purchase.

Look at the flurry of activity on this forum! What makes you think demand is lower than supply? It's fairly clear that demand is huge! To the point of being greater than supply.

Which means the price is fair to underpriced at this point in time. Especially when you see them selling for more money on eBay.

bluecow

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I don't think a smart watch can achieve mass market appeal starting at $350 for a rubber banded watch. However, Apple is not necessarily going for the mass market off the bat, so I don't think it is over priced for what they are trying to do. I bought it. Hard to justify financially, but I am enjoying my toy knowing that it is a toy I could have lived without.

I think the bands are ridiculously over priced, and I think overall the price point is high for a product that will be technologically obsolete in 2 years max.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
When I see what people spend on the things that interest them, as well as compare the Apple Watch prices to ordinary watch prices and even costume jewelry prices, no, I don't think it's overpriced. For me, it does a helluva lot and brings a lot of order and convenience and simple amusement to my day.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014

What are you even talking about?
Which company in the world does not control the supply of their own product?

Of course the product is underpriced, or do you believe that if they charged $459, that they would have so much excess inventory that you could walk into any store and pick up one or two?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Is the :apple: watch overpriced? Yes. But so are my Omega and my Tag Heuer. Would I like that apple charges less. Of course. But they don't and they won't. So if you want a watch then you need to swallow this bitter pill that they probably earn to much.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Definition of "overpriced": anything that someone like you wouldn't buy, but might if it were on sale at 10% to 90% or more off.

Definition of "underpriced": anything that some people want to buy, but is out of stock due to high demand.

Thus the Apple Watch is both!

So are most products.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Is the :apple: watch overpriced? Yes. .

What does that even mean? How are you measuring overpriced?
1. "I think it should cost less because of some reasons".
2. "They have way too much inventory, so if they cut the price, they could move more inventory"

For any business, only 2 is relevant.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Do you see companies like Rolex or Omega making left handed watches? And it's not like you can flip those watchfaces upside down either.

Actually, they do. And you can (well, a high-end watch repair can). But lefty Rolexes and Omegas are uncommon to be sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.