Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iClone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
my iPhone 6 Plus has been a great phone for the last 2 years. But for the last month it has started to become very Buggy and having forced restarts.

Is their any truth to apple and the planned obsolensce ?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I don't think so, I've had iPhones for years and I've never experienced the so called, planned obsolescence, i pass on my old iPhone models to family, in fact my dad is using my 5s and he's really happy with it. So in my experience no.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I'd say no. Engineers at apple are professionals, and some of the best in the world. If they were asked to sabotage their work on purpose they would likely say no, quit, leak it to the media etc!

Theres a superb podcast series with Don Melton who worked at apple. In one he is asked about this and he gets very angry at the thought.

I think it makes people happy to have someone to blame/complain

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Same plot that the automotive companies have. My dad's 1994 Buick Park Avenue is having all sorts of problems. Just don't make em like they used to. Brake lines rusting, rubber hoses brittle, tires need replacing. Only has 55k miles should last longer, what you guys think?:confused:

BrickbookPro

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Same plot that the automotive companies have. My dad's 1994 Buick Park Avenue is having all sorts of problems. Just don't make em like they used to. Brake lines rusting, rubber hoses brittle, tires need replacing. Only has 55k miles should last longer, what you guys think?:confused:
Age and miles contribute to wear. In this case, it's age. Materials break down over time. It's how entropy works.

Naramis

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2013
I don't think Apple does planned obsolescence, at least not as much as other manufacturers.

Look at Android for example, the 2013 Nexus 5 is not getting the latest version of Android. And that's the Nexus line I'm talking about, phones from third-party manufacturers are even worse. On the Apple side, the iPhone 5 from 2012 is getting iOS 10.. that's 4 years of support compared to, at best, 2 years on Android.

As for laptops, I can say that my 2012 Macbook still runs better than any Windows laptop from 2012

Stuff doesn't last forever, and at some point they have to favor putting in new features instead of supporting old hardware, but I think Apple is much better than other manufacturers on this particular point

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
my iPhone 6 Plus has been a great phone for the last 2 years. But for the last month it has started to become very Buggy and having forced restarts.

More likely a new app or something added of changed. Sounds like something is running in the background. Look under your battery in settings and see what app is using to most battery power.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Planned obsolescence is just the natural order of tech and the duration it's supported anymore.

Apple catches flack for this because people notice slow downs with more advanced software. I'd ask those people that think that two questions.

1. Do you feel NOT offering software updates is less "planned obsolescence"?

2. Why did YOU choose to update if you are so confident Apple is planning hardware obsolescence?

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Whenever I hand down my phone to my son, the seem to fail performance wise.

Is always been a full cycle; 4-5, 5-6.

I cant say if it's skewed perception or planned obsolescence.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Ask all the people still using the iPhone 5 or even older models. On the whole, I think that iOS devices age a lot better than Android ones.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
I feel bad for people over the age of 70 who think anything with computer components in it is supposed to last the rest of their lifetime no matter how much experience has taught them otherwise. They’ll either quietly accept decreasing performance over time or think complete failure is a conspiracy.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No to planned obsolescence, but Yes to the truth that later iOS versions may not run as well with older hardware.

The trick is knowing when to stop.

OP has other issues w/their phone. It's not from planned obsolescence .

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I feel bad for people over the age of 70 who think anything with computer components in it is supposed to last the rest of their lifetime no matter how much experience has taught them otherwise. They’ll either quietly accept decreasing performance over time or think complete failure is a conspiracy.
Not so old people expect products not to be "throwaway", unlike millennials.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Nope we use iPhone 4's in our home that still work fine. I use an iPad 2 on a daily basis that's just a little bit slow. If your 6 is having problems you should have Apple check it out.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
Not so old people expect products not to be "throwaway", unlike millennials.

The sad thing is I don’t think generations from now anybody is going to be hunting for anything made in the 90’s or after as workhorse items of quality. Seems like computer technology has greatly decreased the lifetime usability expectancy of everything. I highly doubt a mechanic in 2050 will want to tinker with the computer technology in a 2001 car as an investment hobby.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

What you are talking about is an anecdotal case that could have various kinds of reasons behind it. In itself it doesn't really say much one way or another about the "planned obsolescence" conspiracy theory.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Some models have issues. but the number of Apple products still going after a long time suggest it isn't planned obsolescence.

The fact they generally get updates for years also suggests not. Unlike many Android phones that might see one update a few month later (and a few months late compared to the version release).

iClone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
No to planned obsolescence, but Yes to the truth that later iOS versions may not run as well with older hardware.

The trick is knowing when to stop.

OP has other issues w/their phone. It's not from planned obsolescence .
It's honestly just a coinsidence. But it is funny that it's having random issues a month before the new model iPhone comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.