Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
On osx Sierra apple added a new feature that is when you move a window close to another it will stick the edges together (sorry about my crappy English I don't know how to describe this but I think you get the idea), which is so annoying since you cant adjust the windows location until you drag the cursor a significant distance. And I cannot find out how to turn this off on system preferences. Is there a terminal command or something that allows me to turn it off? apple really thinks its users are idiot and doesn't give any options to change many system settings.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I think in the beta you could disable this mechanism temporarily by pressing the option key while dragging.

Reactions: airlied

airlied

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
I think in the beta you could disable this mechanism temporarily by pressing the option key while dragging.
Just tested it out it still works. But is there a permanent way to do it?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not that I know and I cannot currently investigate. However, such global UI settings are kept in a hidden preference. You could paste the output of the following command here and maybe something turns up.
Code:
defaults read -g

Just make sure you sanitise the output by removing personal details, if present.

Reactions: airlied

airlied

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Not that I know and I cannot currently investigate. However, such global UI settings are kept in a hidden preference. You could paste the output of the following command here and maybe something turns up.
Code:
defaults read -g

Just make sure you sanitise the output by removing personal details, if present.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.