Is there anyone who's going to use the iPad naked with only a sleeve?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Photography, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

Is there anyone who's going to use the iPad naked with only a sleeve? No smart cover, no case, no stand, no screen protector, just using it naked with only a sleeve to protect it.

If there's anyone who's currently using this setup, do you wish you had a stand to prop your iPad up on when typing, or do you just hold the naked iPad in your hand?

2. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

Well... I'm not going naked with my new iPad, but I'm going as slim and minimal as I possibly can. I don't like the idea of a case or solution that makes my iPad too thick and bulky. I got a smart cover and the Incipio feather case. Thin and productive.

3. moxier macrumors regular

moxier

Yep, just a slip case for me... I deplore the cases that add bulk to the iPad ... Naked in my hands feels far better... ;)

4. gopnick macrumors regular

Smart cover only for use as a "stand". Otherwise, I prefer the simple elegance of Apple products unencumbered by cases and whatnot. The designers at Apple made a nearly perfect product. I won't go messing that up...

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Initially, yes.

Will probably get some sort of skin or something to put on the back so I can at least prevent some scratches showing up there.

Once all the case manufacturers release their snazzy new iPad cases then things might change. Initially, I'll probably get the smart cover and skin for the back and throw it in a sleeve.

6. jrbd90 macrumors newbie

I use a Waterfield slip in sleeve with my iPad one.

I just ordered a new one for the new iPad this morning from sfbags.

No other protection although my kids broke the screen three times already on my one but I got it down to a 15 minute swap and keep a spare screen ready for the next break.

They are not going to be allowed to use the new iPad.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just a high quality rear shell when at home...Outside? Stilgut leather case...As with my 2.

8. homeboy macrumors 6502

I use the iPad in the kitchen, bedroom, at work and in public places and enjoy laying it down anywhere without treating it like a new born baby. So using it naken it not an option.

I like the peace of mind that full protection gives me. I can use the iPad without worrying about scratches or dents.

9. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Yes...always naked.

Just put it in a sleeve in my bag when i travel.....design is way too nice to hide!

And remember: It's a Tool and not a Jewel!!!

10. homeboy macrumors 6502

I shall also add that I find the iPad easier and more comfortable to hold if it has a cover. Otherwise it's slippery and hard edged.

11. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Hell to the no.

I know the thing isn't a precious diamond or anything, but I still don't want my $600 iPad scuffed up for any reason. It will get a thin back snap on shell and the front will have a smart cover. Still maintains the thin and light profile, but is at least minimally protected.

12. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

yes, im going to use the new iPad while im naked :p and ive ordered a portenzo case.

Ant

13. wellok macrumors 6502

Me. I don't resell my devices so I don't see a reason to protect it from scuffs if I never see it under a case anyway. Different people have different needs though. I don't fault people for using cases but I just don't need one. Knock on wood.

14. tmoerel macrumors 6502

15. Nightprowler macrumors regular

Just be careful with face time when you are using the iPad naked :cool:

16. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Someone is the case thread linked to this, but we couldn't exactly figure it out - so I ordered one to be sure.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/maki-sleeve-cl57994

It looks to be exactly what I want. A sleeve for transporting, but allows it to be naked when in use but STILL offers a prop if you need one.

Pretty awesome if it works out well. Can't wait to try it out.

Haha, but that equates the iPad to some dingy looking couch. I say it is more akin to using a condom ;)

*does not post pic*

17. Photography thread starter macrumors 65816

Photography

Love that analogy! :p

Thanks for all the replies everyone, keep them coming!

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've tried that and that just usually doesn't work for me. I have a smart cover that I don't even use because my 2 year old or my wife always manages to leave it somewhere where the iPad isn't.

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Zagg, anyone?

20. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

21. Bluezeno macrumors newbie

I never understood people who cover their iPads/iPhones/etc up. I've always used mine naked. Sure I end up getting couple scratches here and there and sometimes I even drop it. But damn, it's nothing more than a toy and I'll most likely get a new one next year or at the latest, in 2 years. I swear some people treat it like it's more precious than a baby.

22. treynolds macrumors regular

treynolds

I used a Decal-Girl applique on the back of my iPad 2, and a leather Smart Cover. I found that the Smart Cover adds significntly to the weight, and in the weeks before I sold it, began taking it off for reading.

The new iPad will get some sort of a Zagg or Decal-Girl, minimal weight protective vinyl treatment and the leather Smart Cover retained from the iPad 2.

My iPad lives in a pocket in my shoulder bag when not in use.

I *may* try some sort of applique that will make the iPad less slippery to hold. While I love the aesthetics of a naked iPad, I also want to be able to resell it for as much as I can, and that means it needs some sort of protection.

My Macbook Air naked and lives in a padded Waterford case.

----------

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well. Zagg products are expensive. Are they really worth it?

23. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I plan on using it with a smart cover most of the time, and storing it in a sleeve as well.

24. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I've been using my iPad for two years with no case or sleeve or anything and it's fine. I don't see why people insist on babying their iPads, waste of money.

25. iohass macrumors regular

came into this thread to make the same joke, but you have me beat, sir