Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
I would have to say Messages. I used to love using the Messages app to text and send iMessages. Now I feel it is boring and too girly/bubbly. I know simplicity was the goal, but it's almost TOO simple

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I would have to say Messages. I used to love using the Messages app to text and send iMessages. Now I feel it is boring and too girly/bubbly. I know simplicity was the goal, but it's almost TOO simple
Simple just as far as colors, or was there something else changed as far as functionality to make it more "boring"/"simple"?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Is it less easy to use/functional in any way?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No, but thinking about it

If I am happy and content with how my phone works with iOS 5.01 will I more than likely be disappointed with iOS 7 or will I get used to it?

Also, is there any truth to the claims iOS 7 slows down the iPhone 4S at all?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
calendar mostly. I also have a weird issue where I cannot send or receive calendar invites using my icloud address. I have read about fixes, but they also do not work :(

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Overall I like IOS7 more then IOS6, but there are issues.
Some are being fixed in 7.1 so thats good.

-Slow animations
-The status bar cannot be seen on light wallpapers
-Some icons are too bright, like neon green.
-Weather in notifications is now text instead of an image.
So its mostly cosmetic.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

-Slow animations
So its mostly cosmetic.

Are they fixing the slow animations?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh sweet. If I get a replacement 4S will it most likely have 7.1?
At this point it definitely won't, it will probably won't be like that until 7.1 has actually been released to the public for a little while, meaning that it's still a ways off. You might even get a replacement phone (5 or below) with iOS 6 on it.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
At this point it definitely won't, it will probably won't be like that until 7.1 has actually been released to the public for a little while, meaning that it's still a ways off. You might even get a replacement phone (5 or below) with iOS 6 on it.

Oh ok. You really think I could still get iOS 6?

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I find most of iOS 7 rather dreadful, yet the good news is nothing stays that way.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

-Slow animations
So its mostly cosmetic.

How much slower are the animations?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How much slower are the animations?
Somewhat, for some not enough to notice or care, for many others enough to at least notice and care to some degree. No really good way to explain it well really, you might want to find some YouTube comparison videos, or better yet play with a device running iOS 7 (without reduce motion accessibility setting enabled and perhaps with it enabled to compare the differences).

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Somewhat, for some not enough to notice or care, for many others enough to at least notice and care to some degree. No really good way to explain it well really, you might want to find some YouTube comparison videos, or better yet play with a device running iOS 7 (without reduce motion accessibility setting enabled and perhaps with it enabled to compare the differences).
What do u mean motion accessibility settings?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do u mean motion accessibility settings?
There is an accessibility setting in iOS 7 called "reduce motion" that when enabled it reduces the animations used throughout the OS, mostly changing the movement/zooming animations that are default (and are generally somewhat slower) to fading animations (which are roughly the same, but might be a bit faster here and there). The end-user perception of animations is different with that setting enabled or disabled, so to compare it's worth trying it with it off and also on.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
There is an accessibility setting in iOS 7 called "reduce motion" that when enabled it reduces the animations used throughout the OS, mostly changing the movement/zooming animations that are default (and are generally somewhat slower) to fading animations (which are roughly the same, but might be a bit faster here and there). The end-user perception of animations is different with that setting enabled or disabled, so to compare it's worth trying it with it off and also on.

Oh yeah I have seen those zooming animations, those are slow as hell. Not a fan. How long after they release 7.1 will there be a jailbreak?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh yeah I have seen those zooming animations, those are slow as hell. Not a fan. How long after they release 7.1 will there be a jailbreak?
No one really knows something like that (or if the final version of 7.1 will even be jailbreakable).

----------

The calendar app, not saing the ios6 app was great, but it was better.
7.1 improves it somewhat for iOS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.