Is this a good combo? Please read!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeArtworks, Jul 25, 2017.

1. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Hi!

Seeing as the Back To School deals are going to start REALLY soon here in Europe now (hopefully Tonight even), I'm planning to buy some products from Apple.

Would you guys see this as a good combination?

1. iMac 5k 2017 with quad core i5, Radeon Pro 580, Fusion 2gb, 16/32 gb ram (upgrade myself).
    2. tbMBP 15" base model (so Radeon Pro 555)

I was thinking I don't need to upgrade the MBP to the 560, seeing as the iMac will have the 580, it won't be needed.

So questions:

Do you think this is a good combo, or would you say 13" is much better than 15"? Also, would the Radeon Pro 555 suffice in tasks as Photoshop, Illustrator & Coding, where the 580 for the iMac can come in for heavier Video editing etc?

I'll be doing:

Photoshop, Illustrator (Graphic design)
    Premier/FCP (Video Editing)
    Xcode & Python Coding

Thanks!

- Mike

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

It sounds like a nice combo of two awesome systems.

Out of curiosity, what makes you favor the two separate systems over a 15-inch with an upgraded GPU (and possibly SSD/CPU) driving one or more 4k/5k displays, possibly with an eGPU down the line if you need more graphics processing? I know in Europe you guys/gals pay a lot more for Apple products than we do here in the States, so could one higher tier MBP with a single-cable Thunderbolt 3 docking station potentially save you some money?

3. hyunez macrumors newbie

I, too, would consider a 15" MBP paired with a 5K display. I think you'll appreciate the additional screen, and you don't have to manage 2 separate systems.

4. jerryk macrumors 68030

Not sure why you want two systems. Seems like a lot of overlap. And then there is the issue of keeping things (software versions, data files, etc) synced between the two machines.

I would just get a slightly more powerful 15" and external monitor, keyboard, mouse.

5. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

@jerryk @ZapNZs

I would like a Radeon Pro 580 for gaming & heavy video editing. 560 won't do enough, nor do I like other colors (really prefer apple displays over any others.

That's why I wanted an iMac for in the house, and a MacBook Pro for in school, library, 'starbucks/coffee places' and other places at home.

As I will do coding in school too, and designing (also in libraries etc), I think 15 inch would then be better than 13 right. Could you guys help me find certainty in that thought? I'm not 100% sure. I do think the quad core will be really better for Photoshop and Illustrator, as I render big images. Also, isn't a Radeon Pro 555 MUCH better than the Intel Graphics?

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

Why not just get a 15" with the upgraded graphics? The 560 should be enough for most things like FCP. And is obviously fine for the library, etc.

And if you want to game heavily the 580 it is not enough when running Windows and AAA titles. Get a Windows desktop with an R9 or 10xx card for that sort of thing. And if you are serious about your coding and want to look at ML/AI you will need a Nvidia card with CUDA support under Windows or linux.

7. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

@jerryk @ZapNZs The thing is, I'll be getting the iMac for free, as a gift. They only want to do an iMac, as they do not support MacBooks at all, and want me to get one myself. No problem, I have the budget. Now what's really struggling me is:

1. Coding, Designing & Video editing are much nicer to do on a 15 inch one.
    2. I'll be going to school, and taking it with me. In the train, no bike. So portability is required, so that part keeps me a little to the 13".

How do you feel the current 15 inches are portability-wise?

I don't have the ability to go out and see one for a while, as I won't be able to go to a store.

8. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I am a computer science student who does a lot of programming too. I have the 2016 15 “ TBMBP and love it. I have the maxed out version of it and it has been able to handle everything I throw at it. My school classes require me to use windows and Microsoft visual studio so I run boot camp on it a lot. I also on my spare time work on learning the iOS SDK. I can say that this laptop is very portable even at 15”. It’s so thin and light weight you shouldn’t have any problem taking it with you. It also fits nicely in a back pack, but I do recommend you get a sleeve for it so you don’t damage it while it’s in your bag.

I agree with what others have said about using your laptop and having an external monitor keyboard and mouse. That’s what I do when I am home and love having the option of using it like a desktop.

9. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

@deadworlds Do 15 inch MacBooks fit well on the general desks (desk sizes differ a bit in schools)? Would there be enough space for a small note taking booklet?

10. caramelpolice macrumors regular

It absolutely is? It's basically equivalent to the RX 480, which is comparable to the GTX 1060, which is one of the most popular desktop gaming cards on the market. It might not run everything maxed or at 5K, but for 1080p-1440p gaming it is perfectly solid for basically any game out there.

11. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

Could someone tell me their findings in portability of the 15 inch? Please tell me:

1. Does it fit easily in bags?
    2. Does it fit easily on (school)desks?
    3. Does it fit in planes (when someone isn't inclined backwards)
    4. Does it fit on your lap/couch?

Appreciate it! Thanks

12. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

A 15” will take up most of a standard desk. If your school uses long tables as desks, then it will be great! Fits easily in most bags/back packs. Using it in a planes has been no problem, expect it to take up the whole meal tray. Works well on a lap, it’s light weight and also doesn’t get too hot, just warm during heaving use.

13. KGB7, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Go to apple store or near by store that sells it and you'll have your answers.

Sell the iMac. Get the 15" MBPtb. And an external gpu enclosure with 1060 or 1070. Also a 4k-5k monitor. There very good once for good price.

Or get a PS4 or Xbox for gaming.

14. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I wish I could get an iMac as a gift :(

Are you editing long 4k videos? If you are going to have a powerful iMac and you are going to be very mobile with your laptop, a 13-inch might be a better match for your needs (and the wallet.) Many Members here use the 13-inch for the described tasks and it sounds like the increased portability might work well for you?

My 15-inch is used as my workstation at home and rarely leaves the house now, where as my 13-inch is my travel machine. If you are very physically active and constantly taking the system with you, IMO the 13 is a nicer form factor (although one can make either size work.) My 13-inch is also a base model - this was partly because I got it at a good sale price and partly because I wanted to spend less on the computer that I would take everywhere, given the higher chance of rapid wear/damage. If I need more processing capability than the 13 has, I just remote into my 15.

15. pallymore macrumors member

pallymore

1. YES
    2. depends, most likely YES.
    3. NO. NOT A CHANCE.
    4. depends, but most likely you will be fine. it gets hot though.

the 15 doesn't combo well with the iMac. but since you are getting the imac for free - you are only buying the laptop.
    it is very likely that you won't be using the 15 much when you are not moving/traveling. syncing lots of (or huge) files might become an issue for you if you intend to work on both systems.

Also, the 580 is a joke when it comes to gaming. especially when it has to drive all the pixels on the 5k screen. If you don't need to work (with mac-only software) on a laptop very often. i'd get a gaming laptop instead.

16. caramelpolice macrumors regular

A 15" MBP + a GTX 1060 with an eGPU enclosure + a 5K monitor is more expensive than a 27" iMac and roughly as powerful (hell, it'd have a less powerful CPU and a lower RAM ceiling to boot).

The level of horrible advice in this thread is astounding.

17. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

18. pallymore macrumors member

pallymore

Don't think it's going to be dramatically more expensive - remember OP is going to get BOTH to start with.
    So the real comparison is: 15 mbp + iMac vs 15 mbp + eGPU setup.
    This is not 15 mbp vs 27 imac.
    I think @KGB7 is suggesting to get the 15mbp and skip the iMac.

Cost breakdown:
    LG 5k monitor = ~$1200
    eGPU enclosure = ~$200 - $300
    GPU = 1070 -> $450 (could be much cheaper if it wasn't so much mining going on right now)
    keyboard + mice = ~$100 - $200 depending on how much OP is willing to spend.
    total cost = ~$1900 to $2150

meanwhile iMac 27 with OP's specs = ~$2300

true you will end up with a less powerful CPU and 16G RAM, but you've got upgradability (GPU) and a way much more powerful GPU (even when used in an enclosure) comparing to the crappy AMD 580. oh, much better keyboard and mice comparing to the "magic" stuff from apple when it comes to gaming.

I do agree 1060 is an odd choice for an eGPU. I'd go for the 1080Ti if i'm already investing that much.

BUT.
    OP is getting the 27 iMac for free. So I guess OP is wondering what macbook to get when NOT using the iMac.

my advice: get the most expensive one within your budget.

19. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

@pallymore Well currently I already have an tb MBP 13 inch with dual core i7 and 16 gb of ram, however it sometimes stutters when using Photoshop / Illustrator (large files), and every time I see the 15 inches screen, I'm wowed about how much more you can actually see. I guess a dGPU and quad core will also help. Also, as I will do coding in school a lot, 15 inch might be better, and my Uni actually provides 2 (although cheap, regular student, windows laptops) that are 15 inches for discounted prices.

However, uncertainty in portability is keeping me from upgrading. Not so much the weight, more the footprint I'm not sure about if it's a problem or not.

Please provide some findings of your own, on footprint & such.

Also, would a Radeon Pro 555 be noticeably better than intel iris 650?

20. pallymore macrumors member

pallymore

the 15 is still very portable as long as you are not like me - flying almost every week.

The 15 is always going to be faster than the 13 if the application can utilize all 4 cores.
    in terms of screen space the 15 is only 300px wider than the 13inch when both are set to max scaled resolution in macOS.
    If you are not always on the go, why don't you get an external monitor - it doesn't have to be 4k, a 27 1440p is a huge improvement comparing to the 15's screen space.

I have a maxed out 2017 13inch - I wish I could get the top spec 15 but using a 15' in economy class is a painful experience. At home/work I have 34inch 1440p monitors - they give me more than enough space for my daily tasks.

Yes the 555 is an improvement comparing to Iris 650 - though only 20% - 30% faster in benchmarks. I think you will see the differences in games & GPU intensive tasks. But neither is good for gaming.

21. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

The level of your knowledge and comprehension in your post is horrible.

The iMac he is getting, has same cpu as 15"MBP tb. And it's $2300 in US. So that's $2000 for free to use as he wishes. To sell it quickly he would have to sell it for less than msrp.

16gb of ram more than enough in a MBP.

Since he is not paying for the iMac, you can't compare it to a 15mbp with dgpu set up money wise.

He doesn't have to buy a 5k monitor. Gaming will be fine on 15" monitor, or he can get a very nice 1080p or 1444p monitor for gaming for far less.

Average price of a GTX 1060 6gb is $300.
    You can get a 4k monitor for around $400, depending on the size.

Or he can keep the 13" MB, add a dgpu and external monitor. He can play games and get work done.

So no, it's not a horrible advice, you just didn't think things through.