Is This Apple's Darkest Moment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Konvictz, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Konvictz macrumors regular

As a person who has purchased the iphone 6 plus 128gb I have a right to speak about this as a customer.

Apple has had 2 years to perfect the design, the cpu, ram, screen they are all old technology. Of course iOS is unique to them. However you paint it, all other phones are not bending (including the iphone 6) where as the plus is.

In terms of design people including me are still complaining about the antenna bands because no other apple product has them, they are thick and look amateurish.

People have been wanting more than 1gb of ram, and the very COMMON tab reloading issue has been identified as a memory limitation. This is annoying when competitor phones have 3gb of ram now.

My understanding is all manufacturers subject their devices through numerous and thorough stress tests. Samsung do this without doubt and there are even videos showing this. The question that arises is why wasnt this bending issue noted by the quality control team?

I dont even want to talk about the ios8 issues. I simply do not understand why there are so many issues, the hardware is pretty much the same as before, 64 bit dual core, just smaller and clocked slightly higher. iOS 8 is pretty much similar to iOS7. Again why wasnt this tested?

iPhone brings 70% of Apple's income. There have been bad iphone situations like the antenna problem and 5s shortage etc but in its somewhat short history I dont remember a situation this appalling.

One has to ask, are Apple...Slipping?

2. pish6969 macrumors regular

A legitimate concern...be prepared to be blasted by the forum..telling you to get a new phone or telling you there are no issues for them.

Good luck

3. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

4. bob24 macrumors 6502

You are allowed (and I think correct) to have concerns ... but no it is not Apple's darkest moment at all.

5. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

When I see the term "darkest moment", I think of a life or death situation. I would have to go with no. This is not their darkest moment. They aren't close to dying. They did have a dark moment during the period where they
    fired Steve Jobs. The company almost died.

6. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I honestly believe the bending issue is a complete non issue. Maybe I'm wrong to believe that, but this seems like another completely media fabricated issue because a handful of people on the internet bent their phones. We have no idea if these phones really bent in a front pocket or not.

iOS 8 on the other hand has been a train wreck. Healthkit and 8.0.1 alone make this the worst iOS launch ever for them. That is for certain.

7. Rafterman macrumors 68000

This alone is blatantly false. There are numerous examples of phones bending or, worse, cracking, under similar stresses.

The media has turned a "lack of common sense" problem into a "scandal". Don't fall for the anti-hype.

8. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

numerous, you mean 10?

9. accountforit macrumors 6502a

OP - Do you own Apple stock? Are they a huge portion of your portfolio?

If not, who cares? Buy a different phone if what they are manufacturing doesn't suit you. Problem solved. This applies to anything in life. We live in 2014 and you have options.

10. highlightshadow macrumors regular

iOS8.0.1 aside - how that passed any QA testing is somewhat of a mystery...
    iOS8 adds in a whole new set of frameworks/API's .... which is propably starting to show the weaker areas of iOS8...

Keyboard was locked into Apple's own for 7 years... they had 100% control ... they've opened it up ... and the switching between default and 3rd party is shaky ... it flips back frequently ... there seems to be a lag while it loads 3rd party keyboard which hasn't been used in a while whereas i guess they pin their own in memory

TouchID has been opened up
    ApplePay
    Metal
    Swift

Etc etc .... lots of new API's .... apple might have not made any revolutions in the A7 > A8 but iOS7 & 8 are visually similar but underneath radically different

But every year we come here and say 'Apple is doomed' when iOS6 was buggy, and iOS7 was buggy ...

They've had 'bad' updates before ... WiFi issue
    Bending is this years antenna thing ....

Apple set themselves a higher standard to adhere to ... they say that ... you know they believe that .... so when they fail because they're pushing faster than ever... it shows all the more...

Apple is held to a higher standard than most other tech companies ... i know that its done so mostly by Apple's own self-promotion but doesn't change the fact ....

As Tim Cook said.... when you run fast you sometimes fall .... they're having a bit of a stumble right now ... yes ... but they will learn ... or they won't ... in which case loyalty that a lot of us have for them will also fail

Sales dictate success for a public company .... once they fail the apple are doomed!

11. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Get a new phone if you aren't happy with the one you got? Sounds like good advice to me. Maybe that's why everyone is "blasting" you with it.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Every year. You can basically copy any paste the OP every effing year.

13. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Think the years with Sculley might be seen as darker times.

14. andrewmaj macrumors regular

I just sold all my apple stock and moved into an underground bunker. My only supply? Tin Foil to make hats

15. bob24 macrumors 6502

Not to mention that extensions were still broken just a day before launch, photo library synchronisation has been delayed, continuity with Macs is not enabled, and you will break apps synchronisation with Macs if you enable iCloud drive.

If you look at the new features Apple had advertised, many of them were actually not ready for wide-scale deployment at launch.

Definitely agreed this is more embarrassing to Apple.

But again ... certainly not it's darkest moment!

16. Prissy macrumors 6502

Any garbage Apple makes, people will still buy them. So no they are having their best moments right now, new record.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Not Apple III bad.

Apple's darkest time were when Steve was at NeXT.

These are Apple's second darkest times.

18. silversin macrumors member

I really think most of the R&D costs this year was for Apple Watch. IOS8 is a mess, 1GB ram, i6 resolution and the iphone design (like the protruding camera, NFC lines etc.).

It's like they didn't even try with the iphones this year. Just look at the keynote, not even an interesting demo. The Apple watch took all the spotlight.

19. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I believe their darkest moment was when they were 100 days away from bankruptcy.

That being said... as a Lifelong Apple user, and I'm talking decades, I'm a little concerned as of late. I understand as the company gets bigger they both become a much bigger target for the envious, the ruthless and the fearful ones. And with increased customer base it becomes more difficult to keep up with your progress. But I hope all these attacks and the public outcries causes them to focus a little more on the details that got them here. Personally I would rather see a slower release cycle with better results. If Yosemite is not truly ready... wait till Winter. If the next iPad is not ready, wait.

One thing I admired about Steve (Sorry to bring him up) is that he didn't care about the stock holders, or the board, and in most cases didn't care about the consumer either. He only cared about Apple and what he truly believed in. And BECAUSE of that, us consumers benefited.

Just do what you've done to keep me loyal all these years. Don't become "That" company. Get back to "It just works". I'll be patient.

20. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

No. But I think it's your dumbest moment. After all that and you still bought the phone? :rolleyes:

21. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Might I suggest, as you are so unhappy with your iPhone 6 plus, that you return it for a full refund? You are well within the 2 weeks that Apple gives you to do so.

22. Rafterman, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014

Rafterman macrumors 68000

About as many legitimate examples of iPhone 6+'s bending.

23. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Apple isnt slipping one bit, they are right on time and if you want to be honest, may be at one of their highest points with a new product like in the iWatch and then the beastly Mac Pro. They are on target and are where I personally predicted them to be.

With the RAM issue, yeah we may want to have 3 or go GB of RAM but when you actually look at android, how much of that RAM is actually free to the user? You have these horrible interfaces like TouchWiz from Samsung thats taking up 1.8GB alone and now you have about the same amount the iPhone has so we are back to sqaure one.

The bending issue, please look at how much stress you have to put the phone to in order to bend it?! Im pretty sure you can give me any phone and with my full potention and strength I would be able to bend a phone or possibly break it.

Every new version of iOS will be buggy, we already know Apple isnt going to sit around and let their stuff be buggy, they want perfection and im sure we will see soon updates and the apps to be optimized for the bigger screens and all these negaive threads would go right away.

24. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It's dark from a PR perspective, but sales-wise, they've never been better.

25. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Sigh.. So many stupidities on internet these days

Wrong. I saw iPhone 5s bend. I saw other phones not bend, but break. Like someone said "Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature."

They are amateurish to YOU. Could be because you are amateurish for design?

Different OS, different breed.
    And Apple didn't advertise the iPhone 6 to have more than 1 GB. of RAM so why did you buy it?