Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
My mom does not want me to buy a laptop from apple because she says its not as user friendly and you have to push a different button to do things. what is this??

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Well alot of people might have never used an apple before, there for, they are scared. Take her to the apple store, set up a guided shopping tour, and have fun for an hour or two. Thats how I got my sister to buy one after she thought it would be too difficult to get one after using windows forever. Now she says she will never go back.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Well alot of people might have never used an apple before, there for, they are scared. Take her to the apple store, set up a guided shopping tour, and have fun for an hour or two. Thats how I got my sister to buy one after she thought it would be too difficult to get one after using windows forever. Now she says she will never go back.
Second this.

Seeing is believing. I've used this technique before and it usually works great.

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009

Or better yet, save up enough of your own money and buy one for yourself. That way you don't need her approval. ;)

efedor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
You need new parents, Are you paying for the Macbook? If you are then dont worry just buy it. If they are paying for it then you need to to explain to them that if they buy it for you, you will show them that it is an easy computer to work with! Showing them readers reviews from companies like best buy, amazon and others help.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Definitely take her to the store.

I think for the most part the reason why most people are so defensive of Windows is because Macs weren't always as they are now. OS X is pretty much what puts Macs and Windows based computers at a competetive level. Everything before that was ehhh. Unfortunately, most people who don't try out OS X are basing their arguments off pre-OSX.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
My mom does not want me to buy a laptop from apple because she says its not as user friendly and you have to push a different button to do things. what is this??

The two phrases "not user friendly" and "Apple" never go together in one sentence!

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
3 words for your mom: three button mouse - simplicity doesn't get any more retarded than the single button mouse. seriously. anything less complicated and the company will have to start selling macs to rabid fanboys outta crackerjack boxes.

groovdudeyo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
You need new parents, Are you paying for the Macbook? If you are then dont worry just buy it. If they are paying for it then you need to to explain to them that if they buy it for you, you will show them that it is an easy computer to work with! Showing them readers reviews from companies like best buy, amazon and others help.

I have bought everything I own with my own money. My xbox 360, my ipod touch, my tv, my psp and for all of these things my dad said that I need to save my money. Save it for what?! I saved for all those things. If he doesnt want me to buy anything over 100 dollars that has a screen then its going to be **** near impossible to make him let me spend $5000 on a fully pimped macbook pro. Yeah I know. My parents are screwed up. I mean really Im fifteen years old and I cant go past the stop sign at the end of the street! I do anyway though but they never find out.;)

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Why are you making fun of your mother publicly? So she said something dumb about tech. When you're her age your kids are going to laugh at how out of touch you are. I hope you appreciate that irony when it comes barreling down at you....

mstout

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Your mom sounds like a nice person. But your mom is wrong. Of course, you know that. Good luck.

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
I buy a Mac just because it has Mac OS X on it. Yes, once you're with OS X you cannot go back. But hell, I really wanna go back. I want a laptop with a better GFX than 9600M GT.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Your mom shouldn't be telling you what to buy unless she's buying it. If she's buying it for you than we have a whole 'nother problem on your hands ;)

just kidding

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
"…and you have to push a different button to do things…"

Did your mom stop using the telephone when they went from rotary to push-button?

Did your mom stop watching TV when they went from physical dial controls to remote controlled?

Now, in that quote, I guess your mom's technically correct. But, who cares? And what are you, a mama's boy?

On the other hand…

Listen to your mom and save your damn money, there's a recession afoot.

:D

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Is this the dumbest thing youve ever heard or what?

nope.

not as user friendly [compared to ?]

push a different button to do things [possible]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.