Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Hey, just wondering...

How long does it take to get to level 80 these days with the new XP system.

I looked back at my screenshots and my first character took like 3 months. LOL Well that was a while ago when no one knew what they were doing and such. And I worked too so. :p

Well I did decide to get it and it was completely worth it:D

To answer your question, i have about 5 days played and im level 53. It should go quicker for you because I had no idea what I was doing early on (though experience from other MMO's does help).

KingPiva

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
USA
World of Warcraft is a very addicting game that has caught 10's of millions of people on all the time if possible. You never want to be obligated to a game that effects with your life. Like social life, and family , sport life. You should probably consider playing a game less addicting. Go on addictinggame.com , they have plenty of free games that you could play. I hope you don't play WoW :cool

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
World of Warcraft is a very addicting game that has caught 10's of millions of people on all the time if possible. You never want to be obligated to a game that effects with your life. Like social life, and family , sport life. You should probably consider playing a game less addicting. Go on addictinggame.com , they have plenty of free games that you could play. I hope you don't play WoW :cool

There was a study that for "most" online game players, it pretty much substitues TV. There will always be extreme cases...as there are with TV fanatics too. But perhaps you can use this to guage when you need to visit WoWAA. :D

Personally I think our fascination to TV is pretty damaging too and TV actually "influences" your personality depending on what kind of shows you watch. So these producers have a pretty big impact on culture...more than WoW devs. But on the bright side, Star Trek I think has inspired much of the gadgets we used today perhaps...or maybe it would have happened anyway and Rodenberry was a good guesser. :)

53 in 5 days is pretty darn quick. I don't think it took me 85 days to gain 7 more levels. :p Actually, I was 40 one month out...which means I took 2 months to gain 20 more levels. O god that was a grind. Though I think 70-80 is like 1-70 or something. I think that's how they designed it. And also 60-70 BC was like 1-60 Original 2 years ago. And like 80-85 will be like 70-80 now.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well I did decide to get it and it was completely worth it:D

To answer your question, i have about 5 days played and im level 53. It should go quicker for you because I had no idea what I was doing early on (though experience from other MMO's does help).

I'll probably wait until the new expansion to try getting back into it, sort of got lost when I started having bad connection problems.

Still extremely spotty, so will likely need to switch to another provider and grab a new modem.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
As someone who has lost a couple friends to WoW for years at a time, I'd suggest you steer away from it. I played it myself for 2 weeks straight and one day I clicked and I just uninstalled it.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
As someone who has lost a couple friends to WoW for years at a time, I'd suggest you steer away from it. I played it myself for 2 weeks straight and one day I clicked and I just uninstalled it.

Well to each their own priorities. My coworker picked up Starcraft and kept complaining he was loosing sleep because it was so addicting to him. He one day brought the CD in and threw it in my garbage for some reason and said he's had it. lol

Actually 53 levels in 5 days seems pretty speedy. Is it an "early warning sign"? ;) Or perhaps if you don't read anything except the quest tracker number and thottbot...

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
They game has become so casual that the addiction claims are basically a joke. It's placebo that is feeding on people not wanting to take responsibility on themselfs.

There is no chemical reaction, and for 99,9% of the players it's not gambling addiction either.

What it is, is placebo. Like other games in America that get blamed for crimes and used for wilfires to to push the blame on horrible events and disasters away from bad parenting, loneliness and screwed up gun laws, and put them on the games(for example, the Columbine massacre was Dooms fault, as the shooters were major Doom fans. Great logic.).

A few cases in Korea and the States get reported in the news. Everyone gets scared, and suddenly everyone thinks that it's more addicting that it always has been. It's not more addicting than the Sims, Diablo or Civilization.

The game urges you to take breaks, you get double xp for not playing(resting in a game), they have made the entire game completeable to max level by playing solo, so you could play this MMO by yourself without depending on anyone else, when only you have time, making it one of the most flexible of its kind.

The game has continued to ease up on the difficulty, and the amount of time it gets to max level, and with the dungeon finder(you open a window and gets transported to a random dungeon with people from other servers) you get dungeons done fast, level fast, and even get rewards and items just for doing dungeons. You even get experience from Battlegrounds, so you could stand in a city at lvl 10 and just play pvp, until lvl 80, and basically play Battlegrounds like it was a first person shooter, making it almost more comparable to a fusion between Modern Warfare and Guild Wars.

My take on it, is that it's satisfying for people to convince themselfs that they have no will. its so easy just to cast everything away and blame it on something external, like the game has magic powers, when its just another one of those games, than have been around since the 80s, as MUDs.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well to each their own priorities. My coworker picked up Starcraft and kept complaining he was loosing sleep because it was so addicting to him. He one day brought the CD in and threw it in my garbage for some reason and said he's had it. lol

Actually 53 levels in 5 days seems pretty speedy. Is it an "early warning sign"? ;) Or perhaps if you don't read anything except the quest tracker number and thottbot...

Nothing wrong with replacing TV with WoW, as long as you take time for a bio break and some real life.

Of course if you find yourself needing John Ritter's Napper-Crapper, run away screaming.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I think the thing that annoyed me most with WoW was how static the world was.

I played from launch to just after the first expansion. After finding that the update just added more of the same and didn't really change anything at all I got bored and gave up. I thought WoW was going to be an ever changing dynamic world, we didn't even get seasons or much of a weather change. No half built bridges were ever completed or buildings knocked down in areas of fighting. After that first couple of weeks of exploration and discovery it was just a grind

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
The phasing they have now in WoW, for example like for the DK opening was pretty cool. Apparently they'll be doing more with Cata

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
It's a fun game if you do the right (read: interesting) quests in a grouped up section of the world. Example, you take a few quests that all involve killing the same type of monster (like kill 15 worms, collect 5 worm guts, and explore worm world) and you'll gain levels quickly. For me, I played the game for about 3 hours a week and it took me about 9 months to reach level 80. Obviously this can be done faster by the amount of time you put into the game, but if you aren't concerned about being level 80 today, then don't sweat it. I believe they still even have a free trial so if you don't like it after the trial, then quit.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003

5 days of "played" is not the same as 5 days of real time. It is time accumulated playing in the game world. For instance if you have 24 hours played it doesn't mean you played 24 hours straight. That could be 1 hour a day for 24 days.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The phasing they have now in WoW, for example like for the DK opening was pretty cool. Apparently they'll be doing more with Cata

+1....

Phasing causes your character to see different terrain, quest, npcs, etc depending on where you are in a quest chain, your reputation, or level. Blizzard implemented it in the Wrath expansion and will be heavily using it in Cata.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
5 days of "played" is not the same as 5 days of real time. It is time accumulated playing in the game world. For instance if you have 24 hours played it doesn't mean you played 24 hours straight. That could be 1 hour a day for 24 days.

I believe rasmasyean was saying 53 levels in 5 calendar days is a lot of levels to be achieved but I could be wrong. If you are hard core, that could easily represent 40 hrs of game play.

Smalss

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Very addicting game. I make sure to only play ever couple days and I only ever play on battery, which means I get 2 hours max before my 13" shuts off.

bluskale

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I think the thing that annoyed me most with WoW was how static the world was.

I played from launch to just after the first expansion. After finding that the update just added more of the same and didn't really change anything at all I got bored and gave up. I thought WoW was going to be an ever changing dynamic world, we didn't even get seasons or much of a weather change. No half built bridges were ever completed or buildings knocked down in areas of fighting. After that first couple of weeks of exploration and discovery it was just a grind

They have begun to address this with WotLK using what they call 'phasing' (particularly evident in the Icecrown zone, which was one of the most intriguing questing zones I ever played through). My understanding is that cataclysm will make more use of this, with the new zones and with redesigned 'classic' zones as well. Honestly, the static world part bothered me as well, ever since I saw that centaur raid would keep on happening forever in the barrens...

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box

No ive had the game for several weeks/a month but the actual time played has amounted to just under 5 days. And no I don't read much unless the questline is interesting :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They have begun to address this with WotLK using what they call 'phasing' (particularly evident in the Icecrown zone, which was one of the most intriguing questing zones I ever played through). My understanding is that cataclysm will make more use of this, with the new zones and with redesigned 'classic' zones as well. Honestly, the static world part bothered me as well, ever since I saw that centaur raid would keep on happening forever in the barrens...

I love WoW, but phasing events while fun only give the illusion of change. Once it's over, your back in the same ole static world. I guess it could be different with Cataclysm. While dynamic worlds have always been a dream of mine, I'm the first to admit, it's near impossible for an MMO promising to give the same game experience to everyone.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
No ive had the game for several weeks/a month but the actual time played has amounted to just under 5 days. And no I don't read much unless the questline is interesting :p

Oh, phht. I never gave much thought to that timer because it doesn't mean anything to the vast amounts of ppl mostly AFK and chatting.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I love WoW, but phasing events while fun only give the illusion of change. Once it's over, your back in the same ole static world. I guess it could be different with Cataclysm. While dynamic worlds have always been a dream of mine, I'm the first to admit, it's near impossible for an MMO promising to give the same game experience to everyone.

EVE Online is the closest one to "dynamic" that I can think of. There's are a bunch of static elements but there's always "territorial" changes and destroyed player structures and such enacted by players. The market ( = NPC vendors) also are affected by players...except it's like an AH everywhere instead. Though "questing" can be really boring in that game because they don't have too many and you wind up repeating quests to gain "money" instead of "XP". It's more of a player driven game. They have a new planetary mining expansion but I'm not sure how the resources work.

But I think one of the problems with a really dynamic MMO is that it's hard to allow everyone a chance to "kill the dragon". But you can let players build "structures" and get it destroyed and such though but to really do that well, perhaps you need a lot of server power and maybe really advance clients. I think one day when those streaming games become mainstream, you won't need a fast computer and their servers can be supercomputers and they can like allow you to make a crater somewhere of various sizes...move earth around randomly... and really make a persistent state world.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
EVE Online is the closest one to "dynamic" that I can think of. There's are a bunch of static elements but there's always "territorial" changes and destroyed player structures and such enacted by players. The market ( = NPC vendors) also are affected by players...except it's like an AH everywhere instead. Though "questing" can be really boring in that game because they don't have too many and you wind up repeating quests to gain "money" instead of "XP". It's more of a player driven game. They have a new planetary mining expansion but I'm not sure how the resources work.

But I think one of the problems with a really dynamic MMO is that it's hard to allow everyone a chance to "kill the dragon". But you can let players build "structures" and get it destroyed and such though but to really do that well, perhaps you need a lot of server power and maybe really advance clients. I think one day when those streaming games become mainstream, you won't need a fast computer and their servers can be supercomputers and they can like allow you to make a crater somewhere of various sizes...move earth around randomly... and really make a persistent state world.

I experienced something similar while playing Planetside. Of note, it is a totally PVP combat driven game without quests of any kind. Ownership of facilities changed, facility weapon systems could be damaged, ownership of entire continents (glorified islands) could change hands. The ugly problem rears it's head when it comes to quests. :D

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
Well with GW2 it seems that the world will be very dynamic. I've read that there will be world events that happen at random and whatever players are in the area can team up to complete a quest, defend a village, hold a fortress, etc.

For example, a dragon is threatening to destroy a bridge vital to trade into a village. Players can band together to try to defend the village and slay the dragon. If they fail, the dragon will destroy the bridge and another quest will pop up where the players must defend the villagers from attacking bandits while they try to repair the bridge.

MMO's are going to get more and more impressive so it should only be a matter of time before we see some pretty dynamic aspects start to emerge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.