Is your Macbook Pro silent?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joko, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I can hear the machine when it is idling provided I am in a super quite room.
    Should it be completely silent or do most MBP's give off some minimal operating noise?

2. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Mine is almost silent.

If nothing else is on in the room all I hear is the fans idling at 2000rpm and the ringing in my ears

3. bakerster macrumors regular

It's a computer. It has fans. It has a hard drive. It has power. It is destined to make noise.

FYI: Even ipods make noise.. and they dont have a fan.

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

The same happens to me with my MBP. It doesn't bother me that much because my mind is always on something else.

5. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Ok cool I was just curious, I use it in a sound studio so silence is high priority. Just making sure it was running at normal levels.

6. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

keep in mind the ringing is from tinnitus not the MBP

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

A computer is a machine that has moving parts,of course its gonna make noises of some sorts now and again

8. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Granted, but my old Mac Pro which was also a computer with moving parts etc was pretty much DEAD quite, I never noticed any noise whatsoever.

9. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Well, when I got my MBP I was surprised, as I had seen people describe it many times as "silent" or "almost silent". And yes, there is a constant fan sort of noise even when the machine is just idle. There's no way it could be considered "almost silent". My iPhone is "almost silent".

It's all subjective - I work in audio too, so "silent" for me (and probably you) clearly isn't what a lot of people consider it to be, or mean.

It is, however, "silent" compared to my old PowerMac G4 mirrored-drive-doors, and my PowerMac G5! When the fans are at ~2000rpm that is - it makes a right racket when it's actually doing anything.

It's no problem though, most of the time.

10. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i can't wait until computers are made entirely from silicon. no moving parts. better still, we just buy a macbook update for our brains and then we do it all IN OUR MINDS. oh god the silence! the beautiful beautiful silence!!

New Thread : 'Anyone elses macbookbrain making a weird humming noise?!'

11. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Hilarious!

12. Schizophrenic macrumors member

My first ever Mac is shipping :D it better be almost silent! :eek:

13. DocSmitty macrumors regular

I have yet to hear my MBP make a noise except for the dvd drive check at boot (and from the speakers obviously). It's in a room with a fairly noisy desktop, and there is some other background noise (central heat fan, refrigerator from the kitchen a times) but I have put my ear up real close and still have not heard anything. Plus, it runs COLD... I've been using it on my lap and have only felt it get warmish top or bottom. Loving it!!

14. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My MBP is usually almost silent, except when I have it booted into Windows and am doing something I/O-intensive. Then, the fans kick in at full speed.

15. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Thanks for the replies, from what I gather it's all ok. Although watching youtube vids of some very noisy MBP's does make you more grateful.

16. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Mine is fairly quiet when it isn't doing something intensive. I used SMC fan control to increase the speed of the fan by a few rpm and that actually improved the noise a bit, made it easier to tune out.

It does get loud when the fans kick in when playing a game or something, but the volume of the game is usually enough to drown it out.

17. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Under normal use the spinning of the harddrive is louder than the fans (which are essentially silent under norma load). If you replaced the HDD with an SDD you would have a pretty much silent machine most of the time.

18. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Yeah that's what I was thinking too..

19. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

It is dead silent except when I'm playing a game

20. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Mine is almost dead silent, I can only hear the hard drive writing, and even that is very, very quiet. I get no fan noise at all.

21. GoxKok macrumors member

GoxKok

Mines quiet until the games start or am using Final Cut and ecoding something

22. Joko thread starter macrumors 6502

Joko

Absolutely. Good point.

23. tlawski macrumors newbie

mine passed gas last night. it was not silent.

24. engles macrumors regular

why is your iphone making noise... no moving parts shouldnt be.

25. scotto101nc macrumors newbie

Louder than previous. Any feeback?

Just bought a 2.5 MBP with 250 hard drive and 4 G ram. I also have a 2.33 200 hard drive with 3 g ram that i bought about a year ago. My new one is louder than my old one. When I say louder, you can hear the fans running. My old one you would literally think was powered off.

Any suggestions or is this normal? :confused: