Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have an Imac 27" late 2012 and I successfully installed ventura (now up and running for months). Unfortunately after upgrading to 13.3 the ONLY problem encountered is with the preview app (which is fantastic). The problem is that if I have an image on my desktop the thumbnail is displayed correctly, but if I try to open it with the preview app I only see a gray square. In reality it is only a display problem; let me explain: if I make changes to the image (for example drawing above a square and I save the image, the change is made (obviously I open the image with another app). It's like everything is working fine but when you open the image for some reason it doesn't show. I attach a screenshot to be clearer. Has anyone had the same thing happen or do you have any suggestions?
Thank you very much for the attention
Ale

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    840.4 KB · Views: 357
Reactions: Kountry

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
If that was on photolibrary, but here...
Ok, maybe it's located on iCloud, so, it has some difficulties with downloading/updating
Or open the image in Preview > File > Hold Option(Alt) > Save As > try different extension, as prefs

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
As You can see in the screenshot atached, the image is on the desltop. The thumbnail is showed corretctly but when You try to open it the preview app show the image for a "nano second" and then turn completly grey. That's the issue.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Same problem here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/preview-glitches-to-grey-screen.2385532/

Have you tried Monterey?

Ventura gives headaches to users with supported Macs.

Mac Ventura 13.3 Preview has a rainbow on the photo
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-ventura-13-3-preview-has-a-rainbow-on-the-photo.2385560/

Weird Issue Flickering black for one second since update
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ng-black-for-one-second-since-update.2385171/

QuickLook crashing on animated gifs in the Finder
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/quicklook-crashing-on-animated-gifs-in-the-finder.2385468/

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
First of all thanks for reply.
I really don't understand how can be possible a situation like that related App preview with the simple feature to show image... simply incredible...
Peace out
Ale

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Your Imac 27" late 2012 is not compatible with Ventura.
You are not using macOS, you are using hackOS. The graphics of your system are most likely managed by a third party kext. You should look into that.

Reactions: osplo

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Good evening Bogdanw,
obiously I know that my imac is not compatible with Ventura, but I'm using opnecore legacy patcher as You can see in tags.
And believe me it works like a charm exept Preview App :( as mentioned before.
But the strange thing is that this happens ONLY with image. I mean that if I open for example a pdf every features work great!
I really don't understand.
Ale

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
If more people with supported Macs report the same Preview problem, it’s most likely a macOS issues and it may get fixed in the next update.
If more people using OCLP report the same problem, it’s most likely a OCLP issue. I’m not sure what particular patches are required for your Mac, but you could try a different WhateverGreen version https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

dacodedbeat

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2023
I'm having the same problem on MacBookPro11,1 (MacBook Pro - Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) running macOS Ventura 13.3 via OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.6.2 (which I believe is using WhateverGreen 1.6.4)

Please let me know if I can help in any way possible

celiawessen

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2023
Same here, Ventura 13.3/OCLP 0.6.2 on a MBP 10,1. Tried gfxCardStatus to see if using different Graphics chip would help but nope. Tried Feature Unlock enabled/disabled, still nothing. It's as if Preview is overlaying the "Window background" color over the image layer instead of the other way around.

The image does momentarily flash back into vision when you zoom multiple times so that it's larger than the screen (scroll bars appear), then select Zoom to Fit or Actual Size (cmd-+,+++++++++,cmd-0). So it's "animating" the zoom-out correctly.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
2015 13” MBP OCLP 0.6.2 no preview app problems here either Ventura 13.3 /13.4 beta.

celiawessen

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2023
I tried turning off Metal. Made the window open animation slow as molasses. But same gray window for Preview app. It’s not a Metal problem, so it might not be GPU related at all. What else manages rendering the Preview.app window but not Safari?

olivufu

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2023
Hi everybody, I am finalizing the update from High Sierra (yet perfectly stable) to Big Sur to finally use a more recent version of Davinci Resolve. I'm almost done, but I'm stuck on the same bug about the Preview application that doesn't open jpgs (gray rectangle instead of the pic). I tried some modifications : change the SMBIOS but the system crashes. I tried changing the whatevergreen kext, but that also crashed the system. I tried other versions of OCLP, but that didn't work either. The Preview app works fine after installing Big Sur, also fine after changing my EFI to be able to run OCLP, but when I run OCLP at the end to activate my graphics card (nvidia GTX 1070) and force the nvidia web driver, everything works fine at restart but Preview no longer displays jpg. It seems that the matter appeared at the OCLP install step, but I can't yet identify the problem... I've tried 4 days before asking the question here for help. Many thanks for any help provided. Olivier
System (asus strix x99, xeon 2670v3, gtx 1070, big sur, oclp 0.6.2)

Last edited:

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Hi everyone, for all that has got the problem of grey screen on App Preview, waiting for a much coveted fix, you can download qView https://interversehq.com/qview/. In any case, I struggle to understand why we are forced to use third-party software that works WITHOUT ANY KIND OF problem. The thing that leaves us really perplexed (at least in my case) is that with App Preview I can correctly open practically any type of format (psd, pdf, ai etc.) except bmp, jpg and png. I really don't know what to think..

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
I apologize for the precision. I realized that without having to install third-party apps, you can open images with an app already installed (at least on Ventura). This is ColorSync Utility. I hope it can be useful to someone as info.

Dochlme

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2023
I have installed OCLP 0.6.3 nightly with MacBook Pro 10,1, the preview app still cannot open jpg, even MS PowerPoint won’t display images.

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Hi guys, the situation is getting really unsustainable. Excuse me for the outburst but the more I keep working with Ventura 13.3 and OCL .0.6.2 (reading from your posts also 0.6.3 doesn't bode well) the more I find anomalies serious enough for a normal workflow. Today's discovery is related to the fact that the camera and microphone are not invoked correctly by applications (some apparently) or by browsers. Let me give a trivial example: Google Meet: open the browser (firefox, safari or chrome) the notification comes out > enable the use of the camera microphone and you are asked to open the settings > privacy and authorize the apps. The problem that in settings respectively both camera and microphone report that no app has requested access. In this way they are practically unusable. I would like to ask if any of you know how (and if it is possible) to downgrade to Ventura 13.2 and OCL 0.6.1 (configuration that didn't give all these problems)?
I have the clear feeling that the OCL team can't keep up with the changes that Apple brings with the updates and we risk finding expensive paperweights on our desk.
Thank you all for your attention.
Peace out
Ale

phaser32

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2023
Good morning Bogdanw,
and thanks for reply.
But I suppose that I have to reinstall everything. Is this correct?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I doubt you can install Ventura 13.2 over 13.3.

As I always make clean installs, I’m not the one to offer advice on downgrades.
Someone with more experience with Migration Assistant, Time Machine and other such solutions could offer a simpler way to downgrade to 13.2 or 12.6.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.