Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macvicta

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2021
Apple know they're big enough to squash it, make it go away with money, or bleed the competition with legal proceedings. They're a bully and will "ask for forgiveness" later if they don't get their way.
Masimo is on the verge of getting their multi-billion dollar product banned again. Apple is losing here. When are they planning to make it “go away”?

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
Ah yeah so we have the following timeline.
  • Apple makes watch.
  • Masimo tries to launch competing watch which no one even hears about.
  • Apple sues Masimo for patent violation for the watch archetype.
  • Masimo stock and value tanks.
  • Masimo executives switch their business model to patent litigation with an eye on unrealistically large demands on royalties.
  • Masimo sues Apple for a minor and vague technical infringement and gets a sales ban.
  • Lawyers throw monkey dung at each other for months.
  • Consumers are hurt because Apple takes things off the market and/or cripples them.
  • Masimo customers are hurt because all the company's money goes to lawyers rather than their core customers.
Do you know who I feel sorry for here? Casio and Garmin lurking in a shadow in the dark corner wondering when someone will give them some attention.
So... THe sensors are used in the medical field. Masimo isn't some accessory maker its a major medical device maker

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
Don’t get all anxious about Apple not being able to sell its watches. That’s simply NOT going to happen. One way or the other this will be resolved. Apple will either get around the patents involved or they will settle with Masimo. Either way Apple watches are not going anywhere.

I have read a few pundit’s opinions on why Apple is dragging this out. The consensus is that Apple wants to make it as expensive and time consuming to the plaintiffs to send a message to others thinking about bringing suit, that message being “we can make this very painful for you.” I believe a report right here on MacRumors stated that Masimo has spent over $100,000,000.00 so far in this fight. Its profit last year was only $120,000,000.00. Think about that for a minute.

And if Apple winds up licensing the tech from Masimo you can get bet the price of their watches will rise commensurate with that license agreement.

I can find no information on how well or not Masimo’s watches are selling but I suspect they are not all that great. Masimo would love to get a cut of everything Apple watch sale since their main business is pulse oximeters.

Apple watches will remain on sale and you can take that to the bank.
This is ridiculous and completely wrong. Their most recent financial earnings report for one quarter stated they earned around $234M profit.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Thankfully the people who do use it don’t care about your experience using it the same way you don’t care about theirs.

I think the poster you are criticising is right.

It's a low accuracy, low precision measurement. This is fine for casual indication but in circumstances where a medical decision might need to be made, it's probably not a great idea to rely on it.

My own data shows the sheer range of values and the outlying measurements.

Note that I'm in perfect health, can run 10km easy and climb up mountains (up to 5500m) on a regular basis and measure a consistent 98-100% on proper kit.

1704929103654.jpeg

PantherKang

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2023
This is ridiculous and completely wrong. Their most recent financial earnings report for one quarter stated they earned around $234M profit.
Sounds like you two need to make a wager. I'd love the spectacle here. DO IT!!

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
Ah yeah so we have the following timeline.
  • Apple makes watch.
  • Masimo tries to launch competing watch which no one even hears about.
  • Apple sues Masimo for patent violation for the watch archetype.
  • Masimo stock and value tanks.
  • Masimo executives switch their business model to patent litigation with an eye on unrealistically large demands on royalties.
  • Masimo sues Apple for a minor and vague technical infringement and gets a sales ban.
  • Lawyers throw monkey dung at each other for months.
  • Consumers are hurt because Apple takes things off the market and/or cripples them.
  • Masimo customers are hurt because all the company's money goes to lawyers rather than their core customers.
Do you know who I feel sorry for here? Casio and Garmin lurking in a shadow in the dark corner wondering when someone will give them some attention.
except masimo doesn't just make watches. they make stand alone medical equipment, including blood ox monitors.

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I can't see any basis for the ban to remain in effect during the appeal process. The purpose of the stay on the ban is to prevent irreparable harm while the appeals process is ongoing. Considering Apple loses about $500 million dollars a week while the ban is in effect, that is beyond the definition of irreparable harm. Soon enough the ban will be back in effect when the appeals process is finished.

Reactions: Timpetus

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
I think the poster you are criticising is right.

It's a low accuracy, low precision measurement. This is fine for casual indication but in circumstances where a medical decision might need to be made, it's probably not a great idea to rely on it.

My own data shows the sheer range of values and the outlying measurements.

Note that I'm in perfect health, can run 10km easy and climb up mountains (up to 5500m) on a regular basis and measure a consistent 98-100% on proper kit.

View attachment 2335149
Yeah and this is what everyone's looks like, but that's not the point. The fact that it occasionally gets bad readings is irrelevant. It won't get consistently bad readings if you are checking it manually, multiple times. If you are concerned with a health issue, that's exactly what you're going to be doing. It works well enough to be used as indicator when used that way, or by looking at trends.

Reactions: dk001 and arkitect

AlastorKatriona

Suspended
Nov 3, 2023
Masimo is on the verge of getting their multi-billion dollar product banned again. Apple is losing here. When are they planning to make it “go away”?
Don't kid yourself. Apple is in total control of the situation. They accepted the ban because they intended to appeal, and were confident that a stay on the ban would be granted during the appeals process (and they were right). This process can drag on, and meanwhile Apple Watch is available for purchase. While this process drags on, Apple is working behind the scenes to make software changes to evade the ban.

iJulio

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2022
Apple can afford to let this drag on, Masimo cannot. There will be a breaking point somewhere, and this will be all over and forgotten with. Masimo’s main business is making pulse oximeters, of which there are thousands of cheap Chinese no-name brands in the market at various retailers and even grocery stores. Masimo’s market cap is around 6 billion. Apple is around 2.9 trillion. This is literally like an ant going against a mountain, and is more noise than actual substance.

Because Apple is now a massive company and is an easy poster child for knocking American capitalism, it is expected that soundbite idiot politicians and government bureaucrats will be all over this, while smaller and irrelevant tech “competitors“ will fan the flames to get their shots in for PR. There’s a reason why the green bubble / blue bubble debate is en vogue now, and the EU investigation into Apple is, and the potential US anti trust investigation, etc — it’s all related. Everyone wants to pile on.

When you’re the biggest and most popular kid on the block, everyone wants to take you down. Apple is going to still remain a Godzilla player in tech, and to be frank, their products are significantly better than their nearest competitor. Apple is as big as it is because consumers love and purchase their products, and they stick with them for years, and continue to purchase their products for years in successive iterations, and their products have become literally part of daily life for the majority of consumers.

AirPods are everywhere in everyone’s ears. iPhone is basically the smartphone, iPads are ubiquitous and used in any industry you can think of, Macs are on every single college campus you walk on — lining the library and common areas by students. Apple Watch is basically the only smartwatch you see on people’s wrists. I can go on and on.

You don’t have to like Apple. But you would be delusional to not accept how ingrained their products are in our modern society en masse.

Apple will be OK.

Last edited:

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
The number of Masimo employees on this thread suggesting that Apple "just pay-up" is kinda embarrassing... Apple has already managed to get the vast majority of Masimo's patents invalidated -- it's just a matter of time before all Masimo's patents are invalidated.

My money's on Apple.

ACHD

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2015
Why doesn’t Apple just buy this company, take the patents, fire everybody including the jerk CEO and close it down?

cant. The company is a major medical device company. Not a patent troll. It is why the US government and ITC arent letting this slide. Apple Stole tech from a major medical company. ANd is refusing to negotiate with them.

Apple stole tech from a company who is NEEDED by the US medical field. And the medical fields of other countries. It would be better to label Massimo as a necessary company and apple as a consumer but non necessary company.

Thats the thing. MASIMO spent the money to develop this hardware and make it reliable and to the strict standards of the Medical Device requirements from the US gov. ITS NOT FAIR that apple is not PAYING up for the technology they basically stole. APPLE CAN PAY and is refusing to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.