Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I can find no information on how well or not Masimo’s watches are selling but I suspect they are not all that great. Masimo would love to get a cut of everything Apple watch sale since their main business is pulse oximeters.
Miasiomo is NOT a watch company. They make medical instruments, things used in hospitals. They are not a small company at all. This is not about a competing watch. It is about the technology used to turn reflected light into a blood O2 saturation number.

ececlv

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Its generally hard to feel bad for a medical equipment company. File a bunch of questionable patents (evidence: most were tossed out), then make extremely high margin medical equipment. Use that high margin profit to defend your weak patents. Not saying apple is in the right, just the medical industry has a lot of bad issues with pricing due to questionable patent practiced

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
except masimo doesn't just make watches. they make stand alone medical equipment, including blood ox monitors.
Doesn’t matter, Masimo owns the patent for the technology and they don’t have to sell or license the technology to Apple if the don’t want to. A patent can be for the fundamental technology independent of the application

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The irony in all this is that only a very tiny percentage of Apple Watch users even care about blood oxygen measurements on it.
If that’s the case, maybe Apple should drop the feature? I’m sure Tim is considering that option as preferable to paying a large royalty fee for each watch sold which probably would drive the starting price up to $500.

Reactions: Chuckeee

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Why doesn’t Apple just buy this company, take the patents, fire everybody including the jerk CEO and close it down?
You forgot sell off the various divisions to other companies. It’s not just medical products they sell, they also own the Denon consumer audio brand and a few others.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Miasiomo is NOT a watch company. They make medical instruments, things used in hospitals. They are not a small company at all. This is not about a competing watch. It is about the technology used to turn reflected light into a blood O2 saturation number.
They also own Bowers & Wilkins, Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Classé, HEOS, and Boston Acoustics so they have quite a footprint in the consumer audio space.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
Here we go again...

mama mia.gif

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ah yeah so we have the following timeline.
  • Apple makes watch.
  • Masimo tries to launch competing watch which no one even hears about.
  • Apple sues Masimo for patent violation for the watch archetype.
  • Masimo stock and value tanks.
  • Masimo executives switch their business model to patent litigation with an eye on unrealistically large demands on royalties.
  • Masimo sues Apple for a minor and vague technical infringement and gets a sales ban.
  • Lawyers throw monkey dung at each other for months.
  • Consumers are hurt because Apple takes things off the market and/or cripples them.
  • Masimo customers are hurt because all the company's money goes to lawyers rather than their core customers.
Do you know who I feel sorry for here? Casio and Garmin lurking in a shadow in the dark corner wondering when someone will give them some attention.

The timeline is more like this:

1. Apple and Massimo have some disputes unrelated to patents.

2. Masimo suffers from simmering rage and starts to look for ways to attack Apple.

3. Apple releases the Series 6 with pulse oximetry.

4. Immediately after release Masimo files a patent that looks just like the Apple Watch Series 6.

5. One year later the patent is granted and Massimo immediately sues Apple in the ITC court.

6. Apple is probably kicking themselves for not filing enough defensive patents.

7. Most of the clauses are struck down with Apple now having to defend against their own design stolen by Masimo for the 5 remaining clauses.

Last edited:

Applɘ Aꙅylum

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2022
Glad I shot my wallet by buying AW9 45mm Midnight Sport Loop which was on sale for $439 at Bestbuy several days before xmas.

Couldn't go out to either work or somewhere without it.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Doesn’t matter, Masimo owns the patent for the technology and they don’t have to sell or license the technology to Apple if the don’t want to. A patent can be for the fundamental technology independent of the application
It is all trivial patents. The patent was filed and granted after Apple already released the Series 6. It is possible Apple could get the patent revoked since they have prior art in the Series 6 itself.

I don’t know the legal side well enough but I think the ITC only looks at other patents as prior art, so to use the Series 6 as prior art Apple would need to fight in another court which could take years. Meanwhile the series 6 is banned by the ITC.

I think ultimately Apple will either partially disable sensors or change the design then file every defensive patent they can.

Reactions: StudioMacs

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
  • Apple makes watch.
  • Masimo executives switch their business model to patent litigation with an eye on unrealistically large demands on royalties.
  • Masimo sues Apple for a minor and vague technical infringement and gets a sales ban.
  • Consumers are hurt because Apple takes things off the market and/or cripples them.
  • Masimo customers are hurt because all the company's money goes to lawyers rather than their core customers.
Do you know who I feel sorry for here? Casio and Garmin lurking in a shadow in the dark corner wondering when someone will give them some attention.
Thanks for starting that timeline at “Apple makes watch” so we know not to take your post seriously.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Apple’s going to end up paying out, only real question these skirmishes in court are around now is both companies jockeying to be in better positions to negotiate how much
Apple would rather increase the cost of every watch $5 than give $0.50 to Masimo. Not per watch - $0.50 total.

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Apple might have to reach a settlement with Masimo! Otherwise future Apple watches may also be in trouble.

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
  • Apple makes watch.
Wow that big post to show you know nothing about this case?

Masimo is 100% right on this one.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Wow that big post to show you know nothing about this case?

Masimo is 100% right on this one.

No they aren’t. They have shaky claims at best covered by prior art and other company inventions and research. No one has done all the legal fact finding completely yet and some of their claims have been nullified already. Ergo there is no outcome yet of right and wrong.

People who shout the loudest aren’t always right. They are the people you remember though. They are also usually the people who look stupidest when found out to be wrong.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
Eh now it just seems personal to me. Letting an appeal run its course is just standard procedure.

Makes me think they know it'll be overturned on appeal and want to enjoy the ban while they can.

Reactions: Timpetus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.