iToner & the iPhone 1.1.1 OS Update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moki, Sep 28, 2007.

1. moki macrumors regular

iToner & the iPhone 1.1.1 OS Update

Apple has recently released iPhone 1.1.1 OS update for the iPhone. Unfortunately this OS update breaks our custom ringtone product iToner.

We're distressed about this turn of events, because we have labored long and hard to make iToner not just a great product, but also as compatible as possible.

I'd like to take a moment to explain the situation as we understand it currently.

This iPhone 1.1.1 OS update breaks not only iToner, but also every other piece of third party software for the iPhone. It appears that Apple has taken the route of encrypting and signing the contents of your iPhone in such a way that things like third party applications and ringtones are rejected outright.

We have not given up, however. No promises at this point, but we are working hard at solving this issue for our users. Thank you for your continued support & patience.

Andrew Welch
    el Presidente
    Ambrosia Software, Inc.

2. iPhoneyboy macrumors member

Wow, Thank you for updating us. We appreciate your efforts.

Best of luck... long live iToner!!

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Thanks for keeping us informed. Sounds like a tough road ahead.

4. stonedgrace macrumors member

Andrew
    Thanks for all your effort. I understand that your efforts are focused to fix a stand alone product that allows custom ring tones and I hope that you are able iToner working again. At the moment, it still is possible to add custom ring tones to the phone, it is just not very streamlined and it appears that some people who have tried it can not make it work.
    I have posted a few times in the last day how to add a ring tone with iTunes 7.4.0, the utility MakeiPhoneRingTone and iPhone 1.1.1.
    The question is why does it work, and what makes a ring tone a ring tone?

The phone may be locked down so programs like iToner cant talk to the phone, but Apple has given us the conduit to get to the phone with iTunes and as long as they continue to allow us to add content to it, we should be able to get things onto the phone. It is all about finding an easy user interface to make that happen.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Just an FYI that with a non-modified/hacked iPhone, when I went to 1.1.1. under iTunes 7.4.1. all my custom, non-iTunes ringtones survived the update and subsequent syncs. I started a new thread with more specifics.

6. dmksaved macrumors newbie

i have 4 days left on the trial and i doesn't work. so i guess my trial is up early ... good thing i did not spend 15 bucks for itoner. I hope apple can just let us put our music as ringtones with a program like itoner. I just wont budge on spending money on ringtones. unless i can do it for a flat fee. maybe a yearly fee would be better for apple. or let itoner work . oh well . back to the hit ringtone marimba , or xylophone is hug!! lol

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

The good news is that it is possible to downgrade the firmware, and hopefully this will be done for the baseband.....

8. moki thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to jinx it, but I think we've made some progress tonight... :)

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I would just like to state how impressed i am. I may not use iToner, but i find it very responcible and it takes great initiative to actually keep all your customers up to date on your work.

10. moki thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to elaborate a bit on the iToner situation. We're obviously not happy that iToner was broken with the iPhone OS 1.1.1 update. Here's the situation.

The iPhone is a bit like your Mac, in that there are system areas of the iPhone, and there are user areas of the iPhone. One might think of the user area of the iPhone as similar to your Home on your Mac; all of your photos, music, etc. are stored in this user area of the phone.

iToner was written with compatibility in mind, and places ringtones in the user area of the phone; it does not put *any* code on the phone at all. This is why when Apple updated from iPhone OS 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 your iToner ringtones continued to work. This is again why when Apple updated from iPhone OS 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 your iToner ringtones continued to work.

Other methods of putting ringtones on your iPhone put them in the system area of the the phone, and thus were wiped out when Apple released an iPhone OS update. So with this knowledge in mind, it is why we made the statement that iToner would continue to work with iPhone OS updates.

Then along came iTunes 7.4.x, which activated the ringtone feature of the iTunes Music Store. Apple was a bit overzealous in their iTunes code, and just flat-lined any ringtones that were on your iPhone that were not placed there by iTunes. We quickly remedied the situation with iToner 1.0.1, and all was well.

That is, until the iPhone OS 1.1.1 came out. Now it looks like they are actively not just shutting down hacks, applications, etc. on the iPhone, but they are also going out of their way to ensure that no ringtones other than the ones purchased from the iTunes Music Store work on the iPhone.

I'm not going to comment of my personal position on Apple's stance here except to say that I think it's slightly misguided to disallow people to use whatever they want for a ringtone.

That said, it's our job to make iToner continue to function as a product... and we think we're going to be able to do just that. Very shortly we will be beta testing iToner 1.0.3 which we believe will bring iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility to iToner.

It's been a rough ride... but we're trying to do right by our customers and get this product working again, despite the curves thrown at us by Apple. Thank you for your patience, and your loyalty!

11. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

12. stonedgrace macrumors member

They didnt work too hard keeping non purchased ringtones off the phone. We have been getting them on since the first day of 1.1.1
    I am very interested in how you are going about getting them on. I assume you have been able to add ringtones very quickly after 1.1.1 was released as well and you are just stuck on the interface.
    Good luck and hopefully you have something soon

13. moki thread starter macrumors regular

Well, there's a bit more to it than that. Yes, you can get some ringtones on the phone, but others will mysteriously not work. That's what we've been busy tracking down.

14. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

Ohhhh goody!!
    I can't hear the phone with the crappy apple ringtones at work.
    I will buy it for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanna test the beta!

15. stonedgrace macrumors member

True. I have also had one ringtone stop working. I still believe that the interface is not as important as what actually makes a ringtone, a ringtone.

16. nevesis macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help Andrew. Its greatly appreciated.

I just ask you get this beta version out asap, for I am very sick of the ******** ringtones that Apple has supplied us, and Marimba is making me want to assault people.

Thanks again! :p:)

17. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Cheers for moki and the rest of his team!!! Keep up the good work!!:cool:

18. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Thanks Andrew. I will buy it just to show my support. This last move by Apple scares me.

19. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Happy to say iToner 1.0.2 is still working just fine on my 1.0.2 iPhone. I do hope you won't be taking a page out of Apple's book and bricking us bitter-enders when you do go to 1.0.3? ;)

20. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

They are saving that for the 1.1.1 update. :eek:

22. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

While my ringtones have survived the 1.1.1 update (in part to staying with iTunes 7.4.1), as a registered iToner user I am pleased that progress is being made since I'd like to be able to add more ringtones in the future.

23. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Any update this evening, Moki?

Just keeping fingers crossed...

--DotComCTO

24. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

thanks for the update, and please keep us updated on the situation :) best of luck to you and your team.

25. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'd love to buy iToner, but it's too risky right now, with all the updates from Apple.

You really need to be able to use something like iToner a year or so to make the value wortwhile, since Apple is breaking it so often, it seems like a lot of money to throw out.

I wish Apple didn't do that to you guys.