Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
I'm always damn worried somehow that my computer is running six instances of Folding@Home or something...

If/When my parents buy my eMac from me I might end up wiping the hard drive clean...though I'll be losing all my files in the process. :/

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Whoa, I am now at 166! And I thought loosing a computer would hurt me. Can't wait till I get my new apartment by myself with two or three systems where I might get too.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
jsalzer said:
Whelp - if I don't fold for MacRumors, can I still brag? It was, after all, the folks here who got me into folding.

I created my own team a few weeks ago so I could watch my computers (personal and work) duke it out. So far, the iMac G5 has been able to keep a small lead over the Gateway. Which is kind of sad, really, since the G5 is a much better machine. Makes me wonder if the Windows version of the folding software is better. ;)

We reached a team ranking of 6400 today! Woohoo!!!!!

I do really wish lower ranking teams could see where they fall in the fold (pun fully intended). Let's face it, my five computers will never make the top 100, but it would still be nice to be able to see the 100 teams around me and form some self-delusional rivalries with teams I can actually pass up.

Maybe some day ExtremeOverClocking.com will go from listing the top 2000 to listing the top 6400. Better yet, Stanford should already do this!

Anyway, we're having fun. And by "we", I mean my computers. Boy is my life pathetic. ;)

I want to do the same.. i love Macrumors, but my little computers don't stack up with the heavyweights..

I think I may register my own team. If I do, i will let you know how it is doing, and what my best computer is..

Computers I have in the Fold, I only started folding last week, and only part time (not fully running folding because I am afraid of heat)

Powermac G4 500 (Upgraded G3 B&W)
Powermac G5 Dual 2.0
Dell latitude D505 1.2 GHZ
Dell Optiplex P4 3.2 GHZ

Joining soon
Powermac G4 Dual 533

I hope that the Powermac Dual 533 will outrun the Dell Latitude, and the same for the G5 Over the Optiplex, but I have no completed work units, so we will have to see..

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
The Little Guys

840quadra said:
I think I may register my own team. If I do, i will let you know how it is doing, and what my best computer is..

Your little guys are welcome to join my little guys. I started my own team about a month ago to watch my two Macs compete against my work computers. (Yes, I have 3 computers total at my workstation - I need them all - I swear!). You'll easily be able to pass up my Pismo and the Dell laptop, so it's not like you'd be behind.

Right now, we're at 5556 place as a team. (My goal has been to be in the top 5000.)

If you like, we (my computers and I) are 42668 - and we live at http://www.xmoose.net, which doesn't have much to it just yet.

Just don't laugh at my Pismo as you pass him. His ego is already a bit bruised now that he's a stay-at-home machine. :)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
840quadra said:
I want to do the same.. i love Macrumors, but my little computers don't stack up with the heavyweights..

Computers I have in the Fold, I only started folding last week, and only part time (not fully running folding because I am afraid of heat)

Powermac G4 500 (Upgraded G3 B&W)
Powermac G5 Dual 2.0
Dell latitude D505 1.2 GHZ
Dell Optiplex P4 3.2 GHZ

Joining soon
Powermac G4 Dual 533

I hope that the Powermac Dual 533 will outrun the Dell Latitude, and the same for the G5 Over the Optiplex, but I have no completed work units, so we will have to see..

You say you can't compete with the heavyweights... You have a pretty folding farm there! I wish I had all that power! I got in the top 40 with only a dual 1.8 running 24/7. You exceed that power a lot! You are a heavyweight!!! So stay with Team MacRumors and kick some butt! I dare you!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am beginning to dream of what my future numbers might look like with my new life and living space might be like.

My new apartment is with all utilities included. So far I am planning on my eMac that has been the workhorse on the folding effort still churning away. I have my old XP box that has been sitting idle for the most part that I will setup up as a "blind" box. I am planning on a Mac mini as my home theater CPU. And then there is an XP laptop that I might press into service, if the "fan" noise is not as great when I did a test with my PB 12".

I do have dreams of a dual G5 to add for my speed tasks... :D but not sure price and noise wise that I can justify it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Can anyone give the specs on BlackAdder's folding equipment. That guy/girl is churning out +6,000 points daily!
strongbench.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.