Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Yep. Told him the screen had a pink shift, then showed him, and he readily agreed. Of course this was AFTER I'd purchased the replacement which was acceptable.

I can't recommend enough buying a replacement before returning a defective one, if you can lay out the cash. Bypassing genius bars and haggling is much less stressful.

I agree with this, it's so much easier to just buy a fresh one and return the other one, doesn't matter the reason for the return then, rather than trying to defend that you want an exchange.

I've been lucky to virtually never need to return any of my devices, but when I opened an iPod classic that had an obvious nearly half inch scuff on the click wheel and wanted to exchange it, they did do it, but they gave me hell about it.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Definite pink band on the bottom of my Air 2. I don't want to return it, but I may have to. Ugh.

Is it hard to capture this in a picture?

----------

Yep. Told him the screen had a pink shift, then showed him, and he readily agreed. Of course this was AFTER I'd purchased the replacement which was acceptable.

I can't recommend enough buying a replacement before returning a defective one, if you can lay out the cash. Bypassing genius bars and haggling is much less stressful.
Gotcha

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I'll see what I can do...

http://imgur.com/PWCNqdw

I think this captures it fairly well. I assume not all iPads or like this, so I suppose I'll begin a return process with Apple. Very disappointed about their QC.

Yep, that was exactly my screen. Drove me nuts.

Just remember though that their QC process likely isn't tailored to catch subtle color shifts. They are checking to make sure the thing is cosmetically acceptable, that it powers on, that there aren't 1000 dead pixels and that the color is reasonable.

Despite the pink being obvious to you and I, to most people, it simply isn't, especially when actually using the iPad, instead of staring at a white screen.

ChewyWaffles

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Yep, that was exactly my screen. Drove me nuts.

Just remember though that their QC process likely isn't tailored to catch subtle color shifts. They are checking to make sure the thing is cosmetically acceptable, that it powers on, that there aren't 1000 dead pixels and that the color is reasonable.

Despite the pink being obvious to you and I, to most people, it simply isn't, especially when actually using the iPad, instead of staring at a white screen.

Are you of the opinion I should return it? Biggest problem I have is that I'm not in a town with an Apple store, so feedback loops (i.e. buying and checking a new one) are not so fast.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Are you of the opinion I should return it? Biggest problem I have is that I'm not in a town with an Apple store, so feedback loops (i.e. buying and checking a new one) are not so fast.

I am of the opinion that I returned it. That's all I can tell you. Spend a couple of days using it. If it bothers you, return it. If it stops demanding your attention, then you should just keep it.

ChewyWaffles

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
I am of the opinion that I returned it. That's all I can tell you. Spend a couple of days using it. If it bothers you, return it. If it stops demanding your attention, then you should just keep it.

Already got another one coming. I'll compare the two and return one or both depending on what I find. Thanks for your input.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010

I fully agree. You got 14 days to make a decision. My Surface Pro 3 has a slight yellow tint on the left side of the screen. I used it for a couple days and forgot all it. In the past I had a iPad with really bad yellowish tinting on the bottom of the screen. It drove me crazy so I exchanged it. Just make sure you're in the return period because Apple will be willing to deal with you. After that it gets a little dicey.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Had to laugh when I saw this thread. Great job OP. I know it's wishful thinking to contain common gripes, but you get an A for effort.

Sorry, there is just no such thing. Future resistant or future delayed perhaps. Future proof--nope.

----------

I have every confidence you will find something. Don't forget to check for dust.

Just the other day, my youngest daughter (10) was shopping Amazon for a phone case for her new IP5 (hand me down from my upgrade). She read a review that went something like this: "I really liked this case, Amazon got it to me quickly; but I was really disappointed it didn't fit my 5c" The description was clearly for an IP5 phone. My daughter asked, "why is that review relevant?" I said, "Welcome to the Internet sweetheart!"

You should show her the "Politics, Religion, and Social Issues" section of MacRumors. Then again, maybe not...

howieho

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I'm totally loving mine so far. Just got it this morning. But now that I've come across this thread, I'm not going to be able to resist going over every single entry and meticulously obsessing whether I can perceive the issues mentioned on mine. Thanks a lot. :mad:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Just picked up a 64 GB Space Gray WiFi at the Apple store. Very slight book spine and other wise even non yellow screen. I'm very happy with it. All the iPad Airs that I looked at in the store (about 10) had the book spine to some degree. I suspect many people won't even notice it. I was specifically looking for it.

jwill99

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
Here is one that is not on your list. We picked up my husbands Air 2 at BB earlier. He had trouble getting it to come on and thought that the battery might be dead. When he plugged it up, it popped on and was 95% charged. He then set it up and went back to work. When he got off from work he tried to turn it on again and it took awhile to get it to come back on. Then we left to run to the Apple Store to pick up a couple of cases (mine should be here tomorrow) and when we returned it would not come on at all. Not even when he plugged it up. He tried for awhile before giving up and he is now headed to BB again to try to exchange it. I hope that he doesn't have any trouble getting another one. The little bit of time that I saw it in action, I was really impressed and looking forward to getting mine tomorrow. Right now I am looking at my empty case and wishing it was here already. I will report back on what happens at BB. If they don't want to exchange it, he can probably run across the street to the Apple Store and get help with it there. It was disappointing that it has something wrong with itm right out of the box, but I know that Apple will take care of it.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I'm finding the sound vibrating way to much across the back of the iPad 2 air. I guess that's what we get for such a 'thin' iPad. Might feel better with a cover?

Also, it didn't charge whilst using usb cable to laptop.

What About your WiFi connection,?

----------

Just picked up a 64 GB Space Gray WiFi at the Apple store. Very slight book spine and other wise even non yellow screen. I'm very happy with it. All the iPad Airs that I looked at in the store (about 10) had the book spine to some degree. I suspect many people won't even notice it. I was specifically looking for it.

Wifi connection issues,?

----------

Got ipad air 2 today. Noticed this shadow you mention. My wife's air 1 does not have it. Also it seems to get warm on the right even with basic browsing.

Am I alone in seeing this strip in the left where screen seems less bright?

How is the WiFi connection?

----------

I just received and setup my iPad Air 2 (how about iAir2?) and I haven't found anything wrong with it just yet. But don't worry I'm just getting started and I'm expecting positive results in the near future.

Wifi? Problems?

----------

Mine arrived today. It feels very snappy compared to the iPad 4. My only niggle is with the Touch ID/Home button. There appears to be a rough/sharp ring around it. It's almost as if the button is part of a module that isn't flush with the bezel. A friend has exactly the same problem on his.

How's the WiFi?

jwill99

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
Here is one that is not on your list. We picked up my husbands Air 2 at BB earlier. He had trouble getting it to come on and thought that the battery might be dead. When he plugged it up, it popped on and was 95% charged. He then set it up and went back to work. When he got off from work he tried to turn it on again and it took awhile to get it to come back on. Then we left to run to the Apple Store to pick up a couple of cases (mine should be here tomorrow) and when we returned it would not come on at all. Not even when he plugged it up. He tried for awhile before giving up and he is now headed to BB again to try to exchange it. I hope that he doesn't have any trouble getting another one. The little bit of time that I saw it in action, I was really impressed and looking forward to getting mine tomorrow. Right now I am looking at my empty case and wishing it was here already. I will report back on what happens at BB. If they don't want to exchange it, he can probably run across the street to the Apple Store and get help with it there. It was disappointing that it has something wrong with itm right out of the box, but I know that Apple will take care of it.

Update: BB could not get it to come on either so they exchanged it for him.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
My new air 2 looks great. Indicates that my wifi is speedier than on my older ipads.
My only issue is that it seems stuck in the new apple case I received. I tried to take it out to show and it isn't going anywhere...:)

So no dropped WiFi signal? Any WiFi 5Ghz issue?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I mentioned having a very very slight book spine issue, but also mentioned that it seemed to go away, or that I at least couldn't see it anymore despite being extremely sensitive to hue changes.

I decided to swing by Apple tonight and just look at the display units and see how those were, every single one except for one had a BAD bookspine issue - one did not have it at all. For the hell of it since I was there I decided to buy a second one for myself and brought it home to look at and compare. When looking at the new one by itself before even comparing to mine, this second one obviously had no hint of bookspine whatsoever, but the bottom two inches of the screen had horrid pink tint which was immediately apparent.

Then I compared this bookspineless one against mine side by side and what do you know, mine indeed has no bookspine issue and looked identical to the new one.

I then compared screen warmth, mine is cooler which I personally prefer (the other was by no means yellow, just a little warmer), and mine is very evenly tinted throughout. The backlighting on the new one also wasn't as even as mine. Colors and brightness seemed to be the same on both, both are good here.

Overall I guess I won the screen lottery, extremely happy with mine. Definitely a keeper, I think this forum convinces you sometimes there are issues that really aren't there. So there are good ones out there.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I mentioned having a very very slight book spine issue, but also mentioned that it seemed to go away, or that I at least couldn't see it anymore despite being extremely sensitive to hue changes.

I decided to swing by Apple tonight and just look at the display units and see how those were, every single one except for one had a BAD bookspine issue - one did not have it at all. For the hell of it since I was there I decided to buy a second one for myself and brought it home to look at and compare. When looking at the new one by itself before even comparing to mine, this second one obviously had no hint of bookspine whatsoever, but the bottom two inches of the screen had horrid pink tint which was immediately apparent.

Then I compared this bookspineless one against mine side by side and what do you know, mine indeed has no bookspine issue and looked identical to the new one.

I then compared screen warmth, mine is cooler which I personally prefer (the other was by no means yellow, just a little warmer), and mine is very evenly tinted throughout. The backlighting on the new one also wasn't as even as mine. Colors and brightness seemed to be the same on both, both are good here.

Overall I guess I won the screen lottery, extremely happy with mine. Definitely a keeper, I think this forum convinces you sometimes there are issues that really aren't there. So there are good ones out there.

Early adoption isn't good. These things are like the first pancakes off the griddle.

I heard about this screen issue with the iPhone 5 & 5s too, but by the time they get to Thailand I can't see any of those issues.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Early adoption isn't good. These things are like the first pancakes off the griddle.

I heard about this screen issue with the iPhone 5 & 5s too, but by the time they get to Thailand I can't see any of those issues.

normally id agree but knowing the air 1 still has the same kind of issues a year in, you could wait forever.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Apple iPad Air - display illumination problem: http://youtu.be/A5bYnErqJX4

I will be checking for this too. But this is something u can immediately see. I am more worried about WiFi problems.

When I get a laptop or phone, I tether right there at the store. I download white, black, red, blue and green and make it full screen and full brightness and I don't pay for it until I am satisfied . so this isn't so much of an issue i think.

No LCD will be perfect, but I just don't want anything too bad, dead pixels or horrible light bleed.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Apple iPad Air - display illumination problem: http://youtu.be/A5bYnErqJX4

I will be checking for this too. But this is something u can immediately see. I am more worried about WiFi problems.

When I get a laptop or phone, I tether right there at the store. I download white, black, red, blue and green and make it full screen and full brightness and I don't pay for it until I am satisfied . so this isn't so much of an issue i think.

No LCD will be perfect, but I just don't want anything too bad, dead pixels or horrible light bleed.

I thought that's what people are calling book spine or whatever? So what does book spine look like?

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
CODE RED, CODE RED, I repeat CODE RED!

I found what I can only call a piece of foreign matter between the LCD display and the display glass. While in reality it's probably only 10 µm in diameter to me it looks huge! It might as well be a beach ball. Oh Apple, how you continue to disappoint me. My iAir2 is tainted and I'm just not sure how I can ever recover from it.

I'll have Rocko and Louie ready to pay Ive a visit. In the meanwhile, you best get lawyered up. You'll own the majority share of :apple: by the time this is over. I can recommend a therapist too if you need one. Hang in there buddy!

----------

You should show her the "Politics, Religion, and Social Issues" section of MacRumors. Then again, maybe not...

Yeah, maybe not. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.