It's Twenty Ten, Not Two Thousand and Ten

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
http://www.twentynot2000.com/

Say the year "1810" out loud. Now say the year "1999" out loud. See a pattern? It's been easier, faster, and shorter to say years this way for every decade (except for the one that just ended) instead of saying the number the long way. However, many people are carrying the way they said years from last decade over to this decade as a bad habit. If we don't fix this now, we'll be stuck saying years the long way for the next 89 years. Don't let that happen!

jav6454

macrumors P6
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Meh... either way is fine.... I say two thousand ten... but I have said twenty ten... I mean.... erm, it's just... watcha call it... same easiness...

unlike saying 1200.... saying "twelve hundreds" is easier than saying "one thousand two hundreds".

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I bet the dudes arguing over when a decade begins and ends will have a field day in here. :D
So what were we supposed to call the past nine years? twenty o' nine? twenty o' three? No. We called those years two thousand four, two thousand seven. Did we call 1905 nineteen thousand five or nineteen o' five? It changes sometimes, it doesn't matter what we called the years decades ago. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of your threads where you try and present your thoughts as facts, we don't need a new Tallest Skil.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
So what were we supposed to call the past nine years? twenty o' nine? twenty o' 7? No. We called those years two thousand four, two thousand seven. Did we call 1905 nineteen thousand five or nineteen o' five? It changes sometimes, it doesn't matter what we called the years decades ago. :rolleyes:

I'm tired of your threads where you try and present your thoughts as facts, we don't need a new Tallest Skil.
Thats some tough love!

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Wrong, right now in California it is 2009. :)

I was going to call 2010 something more exciting, like 2012, after the movie with the Adam Lambert smash hit song.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
There are far too many ruining our language with stylistic abbreviations, acronyms, and other linguistic mechanisms to shorten our wonderful way of communication. Simply because some nut says that something is "easier, faster, and shorter" does not make it right! When the year two-thousand and nine passes to the year two-thousand and ten this evening we need to make an effort not to bow to the politically-correct metaphors, abbreviations, acronyms and give the time and date the right accord of pronunciation...

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Imagine if we keep saying "two thousand" as the prefix -- that means when we hit "2021", we're going to be putting wayyy too many syllables in there.

It should be "twenty twenty one", or in the case of this year: "twenty ten".

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
There are far too many ruining our language with stylistic abbreviations, acronyms, and other linguistic mechanisms to shorten our wonderful way of communication. Simply because some nut says that something is "easier, faster, and shorter" does not make it right! When the year two-thousand and nine passes to the year two-thousand and ten this evening we need to make an effort not to bow to the politically-correct metaphors, abbreviations, acronyms and give the time the right accord of pronunciation...
Jesus Christ on a bicycle,I never thought I'd live to see the day I agreed with IntheNet on anything at all,fantabulous.