Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I got to 1000 songs and 4.5GBs of disk space used and thought, sod that. I have imported loads of CDs accumulated on my travels, but at times I think a lot of the stuff I own is crap, and it grieves me that I paid so much money on the basis of a few good tracks only. So I'm glad I dont have 32000 tracks because 30000 would never be played.

In order to broaden my musical horizons and not clog up my hard drive, I have loaded streaming links to new promo music on the likes of MP3.com where artists are open-minded enough to air their music for free.

I have links to a batch of 330 full length songs/20 hours , with iTunes access to a whole new unknown world of blues and reggae, which I can review good and proper with 0kb taken up on my hard drive.

The sound quality is good, occasionally a stream doesnt kick in straightaway, maybe all the streams will eventually be cut, I dont know, but it suits me. There seems to be enough brilliant music perpetually coming out from unknown bands to keep my foot tapping, so I do not feel the need to cross the moral line and download and copy their music. Having said that, when i have paid off the PB I will start off a 21st century music collection by downloading a paid for copy of a BB CHUNG KING AND THE BUDDHAHEADS blues cd.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
For the record, I actively listen to about 5000 songs, sing along, enjoy them, etc.

Then I have 20000 that are others from the album, but not my faves.

Then I have about 2500 songs that are live or acoustic, or remixed versions, and 2500 that I don't listen to, but want there in case they get stuck in my head.

I don't like 'Who Let the Dogs Out', 'Ring My Bell, 'La Vida Loca', etc., but I'd rather have them around to clear my mind, than have it stuck them my head for days.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: limewire my arse

Originally posted by reiggin
Limewire sucks. Acquisition rocks.

that's a very broad thing to say. They both have their advantages
and disadvantages but if I had to choose one over the other I
would choose Limewire.

wisner

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2003
I have a bit over 16,000 MP3s - representing the entirety of my personal CD collection - and let me tell you: iTunes gets *slow*.

On my previous machine (500MHz G4) it was virtually unusable. Any change to the iTunes library (i.e., editing the meta-information for a song) would take several seconds. Searching was similarly sluggish.

On my current machine (1GHz) iTunes still slows down quite noticeably with a library this large, but it does at least remain bearable.

As for Limewire vs. Acquisition: Acquisition's UI kicks Limewire's ass from here to Sunday and back, but Acquisition falls down in a big way in the features department. (Example that comes to mind: it does not give you the ability to configure a NAT gateway IP address, making it impossible to share files from behind a residential gateway device.) And since Acquisition actually uses Limewire's engine, it's not Java-free as people think.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Size = Variety

Not near the limit yet, but my Library is at 12,256 songs, from 74 genres, 513 artists, 1047 albums. 78.58GB/40.5 DAYS

I'm really sick of listening to micro-brains screaming at me to buy their crap on radio and TV. I set iTunes on Random and let it rip. I might get Widespread Panic, Bach, Cake, the Beatles or any of 500+ others. I very rarely "fast forward" thru a song. I make an exception for Atari Teenage Riot. I only keep it for shock value - the only entry in the genre Noise.

I'm in the process of moving, hope to get set up at my new place to start digitizing my old Vinyl - 500+ albums from the 50s-80's.

Aural Therapy works almost as well as firing up the Harley and headin' for the Mountains.

Zack

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Originally posted by cspace
anyone know if iTunes 4 fixes this?

I haven't gone over the limit yet. Apple did mention a earlier workaround (in this thread somewhere?) not sure how elegant the workaround is.

But at its core, I think the max number of files issue may be an OS X issue, and it may need the next OS upgrade and file journaling tweaks to fix. Or maybe it isn't and its merely a matter of what iTunes itself can parse at once.

gnsr

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2003
3 months

I would like to add a figure: 32000 songs at an average of 4 minutes a song is about 3 months, 24 hours a day, or a whole year about 6 hours a day. It quite a lot of time and i think its somewhat dificult to remember all these songs. Unless we are talking about 500 classic musics performed by 64 different orchestras ;)

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: 3 months

Originally posted by gnsr
I would like to add a figure: 32000 songs at an average of 4 minutes a song is about 3 months, 24 hours a day, or a whole year about 6 hours a day. It quite a lot of time and i think its somewhat dificult to remember all these songs. Unless we are talking about 500 classic musics performed by 64 different orchestras ;)

If you could remember them, why would you want a recording?

Actually I think you underestimate the capacity of the human brain to recall and recognize music. Music is probably among one of the better memory aids there is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.