iTunes 9 breaks creating free custom ringtones?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cubedweller, Sep 10, 2009.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Can anyone else confirm? I can't seem to make them anymore by converting a selection to AAC and then changing the file extension -- they play just fine, but they are not added to the "Ringtones" section of iTunes. :cool:

2. Matthew., Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

Matthew. macrumors regular

I've just tried it using the same process that I had been using in iTunes 8, and when opening the .m4r file from the desktop it played the .m4a file in the music library, as you said. I then moved the .m4r file to iTunes Music > Ringtones folder, and when opened from there the file played in the Ringtones Library and synced to my iPhone normally.

One extra step than it used to be, but it's still possible.

Edit; Played around some more, and am now able to open the .m4r file from the desktop - as long as the shortened .m4a file has been deleted from the iTunes library prior to importing the .m4r file.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Works fine for me.

4. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Just go to www.myxer.com to make ringtones. It is fast and easy and they come out louder too. They have songs on there that people have posted or made as ringtones already but you can choose a song and take whatever part of the song you want to make as a ringtone. And when you are done and use the iphone button it sends it right to your ringtones section in your iTunes for you.

Much better imo than doing it in iTunes. You can also make ringtones from your own library on your phone by using the App PhoneZap that is in Cydia.

5. Jonesyxxiv macrumors newbie

Garage Band no longer lets you export ringtones to itunes. Hopefully they fix this soon.

6. KamberB macrumors newbie

Try Myxer.com i get all of my ringtones from there and it saves you time from having to make them and convert them and everthing.

7. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

mine has the choice

8. gatekpr macrumors newbie

Matthew's suggestion worked for me!

I created a new folder in username / Music / iTunes Music called, "Ringtones" and then moved the .m4r file (created by me) into said folder.

Once I double-clicked on it, it appeared in my Ringtones section and synced to my iPhone!

Thanks Matthew for finding this out for us!
    -Jesse

9. codyduke macrumors newbie

thanks so much matthew. I just got an iphone so i went through all the old steps that no longer work before i found your solution.
    One question..can you make the ringtones out of any song or does it have to be from your own cds? I tried with one i bought from itunes and it said that i couldn't make it an acc because it was protected.

thanks
    Laura

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Works perfect for me

Using Iphoneringtonemaker simple as 1,2,3 ;) pick song, pick part of song and cut, send to Itunes and I am using 9 no problems.

11. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Any clear instructions for iTunes 9.x and iPhone 3GS?

Hi all. I apologize if I have missed a previous thread, but here goes:

I am a brand new iPhone 3GS owner...never used an iPhone in the past.

I am simply tying to 2 to things:

1)Make the ringtone (whether or not I use iTunes 9.x...I have plenty of 15-second WAV and MP3 files on my drive that are not in iTunes already) in an iTunes 9.x friendly format

2)Get my ringtone(s) on my new iPhone 3GS

Can someone please point me to a clear, step-by-step article for the iPhone 3GS and iTunes 9.x? All the ones I have found are littered with ammendments about iTunes versions, iPhone flavors, using AAC if within iTunes this or that. Etc.

I am quite technical but just have not been able to find an article that is clear.

To me the process should be about 5 steps:

1)Create the soundfile as WAV or MP3 using whatever software I like
    2)Convert the soundfile to whatever proprietary extension/format iTunes 9.x wants
    3)Put the file in a particular folder on my Windows XP hard drive
    4)Do something in iTunes 9.x
    5)Sync my iPhone 3GS.

If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Eric

p.s. I don't want to use a website/app that sends the ringtone to my phone...I'm not a fan of giving out my phone # so I can end up on 100 telemarketing lists. :)

12. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

There's no distinction between the iPhone/iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS as long as they run the same version of software so making and syncing shoudl apply across all models. This should apply pretty well to any iTunes version greater than 8.0 as well. :)

http://tinyurl.com/luzje9

2nd one down should work.

13. ericinboston macrumors 68000

1)Thanks for NOT taking the time to read my post/question. I love to just sit here and give exact details of software and products so that I can get replies that HAVE NO VALUE and pointed to websites whose instructions do not reflect my software versions that I ever so carefully detailed in the posting. I guess my underlining and bolding of iTunes 9.x as well as mentioning the phrase "iTunes 9.x" 4 times somehow didn't express that I was concerned with a particular version of iTunes.

2)What exactly am I talking about in #1? Well, iTunes 9.x DOES NOT have a Convert to AAC option. Again, thanks for reading the post.

3)I already mentioned that I have tried Google and come across numerous confusing sites...thanks for taking the time to use ************************** in an attempt to make you look like a god and me an idiot. Oh, and by the way, the 2nd one down did not answer the question.

For those of you who have read my problem, I have found a solution with iTunes 9.x on Windows:

1)Create/make/find/export your sound to an MP3 or WAV file on your Windows computer. Be sure it is less than 20 seconds (some sites claim 40 seconds but most I have read state 20).

2)Use a freeware software program to convert this sound to .M4a format.

3)Rename the file extension from .M4a to .M4r

4)Drag the .M4r file into your iTunes 9.x music library...it will then appear in the Ringtones section

5)Sync your iPhone 3GS

-Eric

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

2. You must be blind, because iTunes 9 sure does have a "convert to AAC" option.

Untitled35.jpg

15. pb1300 macrumors 6502a

I have it too.

16. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Nope...I am not blind...and I tried/tested it numerous times before writing the post.

I have iTunes 9.0.0.70 on Windows XP. What iTunes version and OS are you on?

The only thing close is Convert To WAV.

Here is my screenshot

Also does not appear if I right-click a song

Attached Files:

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay you're not blind.

Hmmm....don't know why yours is like that. Have you thought about reinstalling iTunes?

18. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Never. My gut tells me Apple is just fiddling with firmware, iTunes versions, etc. so that it can sell me ringtones.

The only problem that Apple doesn't seem to understand is that create my own music and beats, etc...I want to put my own sound effects on my iPhone as ringtones.

I know how to do it and am getting around Apple's constant lets-charge-a-buck-for-anything-and-everything attitude.

I'm all set with my question. :)

19. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Um, thanks for taking the time to NOT search. Posts like yours HAVE NO VALUE and scream of "Please help me because I am too lazy to help myself." Perhaps next time stating where you have searched or presenting some known knowledge with advice on how to best proceed would be in your best interests.

Thanks for also not reading my text before the link.

Yes it does, thanks for possibly not installing iTunes 9 properly (as aggie suggested).

Did you even GO to the 2nd listed site as I mentioned? I actually read it before recommending you go there. Doesn't seem confusing in the slightest. Then again, you haven't shown any effort to help yourself so far.

Perhaps you missed the Aeroglass theme and red X in the upper corner of Aggie's screenshot iTunes? Dead give away he's on Vista. Perhaps you also missed the Home Sharing option in his screenshot as well, which is only a feature in iTunes 9.0.

Please do not lash out at other due to frustration with your own issues.

Feel free to relax and ask well thought out questions and folks like myself would be more than happy to help out. :)

20. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Unless I am mistaken the convert to AAC option will only appear if you have AAC chosen as your import settings.

Since it says convert to WAV in your menu I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have your iTunes set up to import songs as WAV files when you import a CD.

21. Amarq09 macrumors newbie

I used garageband the other day to create a few ringtones. What I found was using the ringtone template didn't allow me to import non purchased itunes songs into itunes. So instead of using the ringtone specific template, I just created a new loop and having finished, exported as a ring tone to itunes.

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Exactly. Mine is AAC.

Someone's going to need to stop with the conspiracy theories. :)

23. ericinboston macrumors 68000

Ummm...I told you I searched. I read about 15 different websites before writing this thread. I am not going to list every URL that I visited.

Oh really? It does. As my screenshot shows it is clearly missing. And can you please tell me how ***I*** did not install iTunes 9.x correctly? I guess I must have hit the "break this" button instead of the Next and Finish buttons. And when did Aggie tell me I installed it incorrectly? He asked if I wanted to reinstall...and no, I do not want to reinstall.

Yup, I visited it...read it...and what do you know...it's for iTunes 8.x. Again, as I said earlier which you obviously keep ignoring, THOSE instructions are not for 9.x. I have already figured out how to make ringtones...which that website did not give me any more information/disinformation that I already knew. The 8.x vs. 9.x point may be moot NOW since the problem has been solved...but when someone clearly asks for help with particular versions of software, sending them to a website with a different version is pointless. If you've ever done problem-solving, you deduce the problem in a particular way...not jumping all over the place.

It's called being thorough. Asking someone to please list exact version #s and operating systems is never a crime. Sheeez. I saw the Vista-type screen...he could have writen back "Vista Premium" or "Vista Ultimate" or whatever...I don't have Vista and never will.

That's like the pot calling the kettle black. And you didn't lash out at me with your Tinyurl with it's snobby "was that so hard" comment? Oh no. Not offensive in the slightest. I never lashed out in the beginning when I very carefully and as thoroughly as possible wrote my question. As you know (or maybe you don't), as threads progress with deducing a problem, suggestions are made. Your original suggestion, with it's snobby "was that so hard" was lashing out.

How the hell was my original question not thorough?! Sure, as the thread progresses, people will add comments about checking this and confirming that. You did neither.

Get off your high horse.