iTunes and Pepsi Superbowl Ads

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacObserver posts details about an upcoming iTunes commercials promoting a new Pepsi/iTunes giveaway.

Four new commercials for Diet Pepsi and the Pepsi iTunes promotion will debut during the NFL event, which begins this Sunday at 6:05pm EST, on the FOX television network. The spots will air in the first and second quarters over a total of two and a half minutes, the company said.
One of the commercials is posted in its entirety.

wembley

Feb 23, 2004
Availabilty

One wonders if Pepsi is going to actually bother shipping all the caps this year.

IIRC, last time they did this something like 1/3 of the contest caps never made it out in time.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
That commercial is a helluva lot better than the ads from last year. Maybe with the proliferation of iPods this promotion will be better for Pepsi and Apple than the last one. Any word on whether or not they solved the "tilt to win" top problems?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
definitely a better ad this time around, the one last year was crap, hopefully with the success of the ipod in the past year the free song giveaway will be a better success as well

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
Just for kicks, I am already seeing the caps show up on Mountain Dew bottles here in St. Louis. I've bought three bottles and gotten a Free Song and a Buy 1 Get 1 Free.

And heres the link to the iPod Garage site that is showing winners from around the land.

http://www.ipodgarage.com/ipod000228.html

utah_boy2

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Middle of Utah
Using FireFox on Windows

Browsing with FireFox on windows XP is there any way to find where the video clip saves to.

Where is the cache for firefox browser? Little of topic, but I wanted to keep the commercial.

Way Way Better then last Years, too!

-Jordan

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Looks good!

We get a live broadcast of the superbowl here in Holland (although its in the middle of the night) but the ads are substituted for Dutch ones.

Oh and we don't have hte itunes pepsi promo here!

I think I should move to the states!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Hardly the epic commercial that 1984 was, but definitely better than the I Fought the Law commercial.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
the girl in this one (at the start of the commercial) is a lot better looking then the girl at the end of last years commercials,

oh, and the commercial itself is good too..

aethier

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
The Los Angeles area was one of the last places that Pepsi shipped bottle caps to, but according to the recent map, LA looks to be one of the first. Thank the lord.

I hate Pepsi, but diet Pepsi is a hell of a lot better than diet Coke.

Fishes,
narco.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Million times better than last years ad for sure. It's actually funny.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
nothing too memorable about it, but it has energy and isn't irritating. It's too bad apple isn't doing the ads.

sidenote: I just went to quikcheck and they had iTunes caps on all of the 1 liter bottles, and just on some of the regular pepsi 20 oz. bottles. I'm in Northeast jersey

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
aricher said:
Any word on whether or not they solved the "tilt to win" top problems?
No they haven't. I was in a busy store, so couldn't check before buying yesterday. But after I got out to the car I did the tilt trick and could clearly see that both bottles I bought were marked with "play again". I am now 0 for 3 thank you very much.

PS - The tip trick doesn't seem to work on colored bottles. No matter how I tipped the Mountain Dew bottle, I couldn't make out any letters underneath. Of course it was my other "please play again"

stoid

macrumors 601
applebum said:
PS - The tip trick doesn't seem to work on colored bottles. No matter how I tipped the Mountain Dew bottle, I couldn't make out any letters underneath. Of course it was my other "please play again"
Well that sucks, and here I was so excited because even tipping Sierra Mist so that I had a 100% success rate forced me to buy more Sierra Mist than I ever wanted to.

SpY2K

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
I find it amusing... should get the point across now that there are 4 million more iPod owners than last year eager for free music. :cool:

I especially like the last guy confronting his boss in the restroom... ackward but funny.

orb

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
pepsi is learning

It's not as cool as an apple commercial, but at least it isn't embarrassing like last years. It's actually enjoyable, so I'd call it a success. I was waiting for dancing silhouettes drinking from colored pepsi bottles. But, that would only hurt the image of the apple ads.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Terrible commercial for the Super Bowl. Why? If you don't know that it's for iTunes before you see (like we all did) it makes no sense until the very end. And since it is too expensive to air the commercial many times during the SB, its effect is completely lost.

A commercial for the SB has to be either 1) instantly funny or entertaining (like the Monster ads from a few years ago), or 2) instantly engaging (like the '84 ad).

I think the ad is fine for Pepsi, but does Apple no good -- just like last time.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Fairly clever, much better than last year's. I was kinda hoping they'd sneak an Apple logo into the end somewhere. Oh, well. Haven't found any caps yet in my area, north of Baltimore, but I sense a lot of Mountain Dew and Sierra Mist in my future...

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Far better than last year's commercial. This time around they don't have to worry about introducing the idea of itunes to people.

The song in the garage in C'mon C'mon by the Von Bondies. The Arcade Fire is a much better band.