Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weave

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2003
Nokia N95 FTW

I can set any audio file on my Nokia N95 as a ringtone. It also comes with a utility to rip and sync CDs to the phone.

Wonder why they were "allowed" to do this.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
iTunes 7.4 download outside US

Has anyone outside the US managed to download 7.4?

Here in the UK we've been getting "The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please check your internet connection, or try again later" all morning.

Ok so the transatlantic cables are overloaded but on the UK site (http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/) you get an empty 'download now' panel after the page is fully loaded - ie. you can't download 7.3.2 either. Is Apple blocking downloads of 7.4 outside of the US, given that we don't have iPhones yet officially?

jacktiernan

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Vic, Australia
Nope

Has anyone outside the US managed to download 7.4?

Here in the UK we've been getting "The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please check your internet connection, or try again later" all morning.

Ok so the transatlantic cables are overloaded but on the UK site (http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/download/) you get an empty 'download now' panel after the page is fully loaded - ie. you can't download 7.3.2 either. Is Apple blocking downloads of 7.4 outside of the US, given that we don't have iPhones yet officially?

Nope, I'm in Australia and it worked fine for me. :)

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
downloading iTunes 7.4 just fine here in Belgium,

thanks for that lamadude. maybe it's just the crap telecoms infrastrucure here in the UK or the pipes into our building here in the City of London - which is pretty well wired, being the second biggest financial centre in the world. Anyone from from the UK out there downloaded 7.4?

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
thanks for that lamadude. maybe it's just the crap telecoms infrastrucure here in the UK or the pipes into our building here in the City of London - which is pretty well wired, being the second biggest financial centre in the world. Anyone from from the UK out there downloaded 7.4?

I'm in the UK, downloaded iTunes 7.4 through Software Update

quadgirl

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2006
Dang, no firmware update for the 2.5Mbps H.264 that the new iPods have. I guess it's due to upgraded hardware. :(

I can't see any info on the new ipods supporting H.264 @ 2.5 mbps, only mpeg-4 (part 2) at up to 2.5 mbps.

Where did you see this?

leviut

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
Austin
free ringtones

do early iPhone owners get the first 200(!) ringtones FREE? I think I deserve a rebate. :mad:

felixkunze

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
West Sussex, UK
Album Ratings

You can now rate albums - or is that an old feature?

I wrote to Apple about a year ago asking for this feature but not so sure about the implementation here and the feasibility in terms of using those ratings in smart playlists.

I'll have to play around with it a bit when I get home after work. Any experience anyone else had with this?

Incog79

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
NYC
No thanks. No .99 ringtone service for me. I already bought the song legally, or licensed it legally, or licensed the rights to it, or whatever their lawyers would call it when I pay .99 cents to download a song. I'm not going to spend another buck to put part of it into another file and copy it to my iPhone.

So if I have to pay for the right to play a ringtone in public, what does this mean about people who play a CD at a picnic so everyone in the park can here it? Is there an additional charge for that too?

You licensed rights to play the song in private, *legally* speaking. This is why so many companies are able to charge ridiculous prices for ringtones. Record companies have gone as far as saying that while playing music in your car with the windows down (or at a picnic) is technically illegal, they are choosing to not enforce their rights in this matter. That does not preclude them from choosing to enforce their rights when it comes to ringtones.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
All the tones I had added with iToner are gone.

Yeah, well, so much for upgrade-proof. I'd contact Ambrosia and demand your money back. I knew Apple would fine a way to stomp out uncertified third-party ringtones. Ambrosia never should have made the claim their software would continue to work across updates.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
Like someone else said before, I can make my own ringtones and send them to a lot of phones for free via Bluetooth. Paying extra to use a song as a ringtone versus owning it is asinine, but who would expect anything less from music companies?

Kedrik

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Michigan
i-toner, Help!!

When Steve announced the ringtone price yesterday I decided to go ahead and purchase i-toner (I used the demo to great success). This morning I synced with i-tunes 7.4 and lost all my ringtones. As soon as i-toner can overcome this hurdle I'm buying it, and using garage band to make my own ring tones. Come on, another buck for stuff I already own? Not to mention that I paid $499 for a 4Gig i-phone less than 3 weeks ago (but more than 2 weeks, :mad:) It is a great phone and I love it, but Apple, please stop slapping me around, I feel like a battered spouse!!!

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
do early iPhone owners get the first 200(!) ringtones FREE? I think I deserve a rebate. :mad:

Give it a rest already......

It's probably going to be November before everyone finally grabs their blankies, puts their thumbs back in their mouths and stops their whining and pouting.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I has to paye for ringtone? Booooo!!!

Meh.

Pay ringtones are for the computer illiterate people. Apple knows that less than half of iPhone owners will be paying for ringtones. I'm sure, however, that this is an option more for the people who don't know how to add their own ringtones.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Glad I read the front page before installing 7.4. Lame that it deletes your current ringtones put on by 3rd party software. More lame that I'd have to pay twice for a song just to put a clip of it on my iPhone. No thanks Steve. If you'd left it at .99, you'd have suckered me into paying for a few tracks - instead I'll just clip parts from my "elsewhere"-downloaded songs and put it on 3rd party. Greedy bastards.

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Pay ringtones are for the computer illiterate people. Apple knows that less than half of iPhone owners will be paying for ringtones. I'm sure, however, that this is an option more for the people who don't know how to add their own ringtones.

Actually - pay ring tones are for people who choose to follow copyright law.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
Do your own thing

Will Apple be cutting the price of ringtones too in the near future? Pricing is insane.

Do this instead, if you have an Intel Mac running windows or you live in PC land -

install BSD Subsystem and the OpenSSH package using installer.app .

Download WinSCP (I'm sure there is an OSX app that does the same thing but I don't know what it is) , and connect to your iPhone using its IP address (Over WiFi), with root and dottie as the username/password respectivley.

Connect in SCP mode.

Then you can see all the folders/directories on your iPhone and copy and delete at will, including ringtones of course that you've made in garageband (a great app) - but be careful obviously.

Also install Mobile Terminal and change the root password from dottie with this unix command

passwd root

or uninstall openssh - must do this otherwise your iPhone is very insecure as everyone in the world knows the iPhone root password.

Also BSD subsystem is kernel level and can't be uninstalled by installer.app as far I'm aware - turns your iPhone into a fully blown computer.

F/reW/re

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2001
Norway
Whats with the ringtone deal?

1. You buy a song.
2. Then you decide that you want it as a ringtone.
3. You then choose a part of that song you already bought and you have to buy it AGAIN?

Is this a joke? I already bought the song. Why should I pay once more?

Is there something I'm missing here?

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
You licensed rights to play the song in private, *legally* speaking. This is why so many companies are able to charge ridiculous prices for ringtones. Record companies have gone as far as saying that while playing music in your car with the windows down (or at a picnic) is technically illegal, they are choosing to not enforce their rights in this matter. That does not preclude them from choosing to enforce their rights when it comes to ringtones.

In fact, when you signed up for an iTunes Music Store account, you specifically agreed NOT to use any song downloaded from the iTMS as a ring tone. That's been in there for years, long before Apple was even thinking about phones -- further evidence that it's simply required by the music industry.

Nokia isn't trying to run a music store.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
I wrote to Apple about a year ago asking for this feature but not so sure about the implementation here and the feasibility in terms of using those ratings in smart playlists.

Hey, at least you got your wishlist. :) I'd love better Podcast management. Right now you apply settings to all podcasts, and I'd love to apply them individually. I'd like to say keep only the most recent of podcast A, but every one of podcast B. You can't do that now - one setting for all podcasts.

Methodman1977

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
No thanks Apple. My butt is still recovering from the ramming you gave me yesterday. I think I'll go get one of the shareware programs and make my own ringtones...Heck, if I brick my phone, now it will only cost me $400 to replace it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.