All iPads I've Gone Through 6 iPad rMini B/C Screen Issues - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zuned, Dec 2, 2013.

1. zuned macrumors newbie

I really love the device but I have tried both the Apple Stores in my area. Thoughts/Suggestions?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1. Lower your standards.
    2. Not buy an iPad.
    3. Keep buying and returning iPads while Apple lets you.

There's not much else you can do.

3. cababah macrumors 68000

Make sure to blow and kiss the dice before throwing and pray for a good display. Is this your first time buying a new Apple product?

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Agree with previous poster. Oddly enough, every Apple device I have purchased over the years, has been perfect. from the iPhone 4, 5 an 5s, to my 2011 iMac, to my iPad 2, 4, Air and rMini. All flawless on first attempt. Of course, I dont run silly tests to see if I have image retention, etc.

5. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Sorry for your bad luck. Please make sure to detail your reasons for return. Apple taking a hit on the bottom line is the only chance we'll have with respect to future improvements.

I finally received my air the other week. There is zero light bleeding, battery is lasting 13+ hours with moderately heavy use(games, netflix, browsing, etc...). I'm not sure how yellow the screen is, since I keep the brightness pretty low, but it is consistent across the entire screen.

Only issue is the damned crashing and constant low memory warnings in the logs. But I'm sure the measly 1gig of ram can't possibly be the cause at all, amirite fanboi's?

Good luck

6. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Why have you returned them? What specific screen issues? I got my rMini about 2 weeks ago and so far no problems. No problems with my previous mini, iPad 3, iPad 2, and my wife's iPad 2, iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G.

7. zuned thread starter macrumors newbie

One had pretty bad yellowing at the top, and the other 5 all had pretty bad light bleeding issues, one I was fine dealing with but it got worse about a week later so I returned it.

I've bought easily over 15 apple devices over the years, I had a similar issue with the iPad 4 but I ended up getting a good one.

I have a rMacbook Pro, iPhone 5, Apple TV, ect. Only Apple product I have has consistent issues with is the iPad. Although my gf has been able to get a good one every time.

8. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Have you GF pick one up for you.

Either I am lucky or my color blindness keeps me from seeing any issues. The image burn in thing I do not notice. I typically move on to different things while using my iPad and it is set to time out in 2 mins to conserve power.

I have noticed though I can get about 7hrs and 45 mins of email, web browsing, video streaming (over wifi) with 50% of my battery still left. This is with a cellular model with cell data on, wifi on, Bluetooth on and audio streaming to a BT Logitech speaker and screen at 50% brightness (more than that hurts my eyes). Typically my previous non-rMini would get about 5-6 hrs doing the same thing (wifi model only). So the new one definitely performs better.

Good luck.

9. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I've done three and I'm giving up. Last one delivered today looked awesome out of the box. Lovely even screen but guess what, crap under the screen. And image retention.

I'm so fed up and disappointed. Had this fiasco with iPad 3 and I'm not doing it anymore. I have a Kindle HDX 7 now which I'm keeping. Perfect out the box first time, blazing fast, lovely screen, better than the rMini and £169.

10. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Always interesting to read these reports of people finding multiple bad units. Then you hear from this that they have had similar experiences with other device releases. Makes you wonder if it is Apple or is it them.

There are just too many of us who buy the iPads / iPhones, open the box and use them with no problems to believe that a person could sequentially open six or seven boxes and they all be defective.

11. zuned thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I tried one more time today and I just got another one with pretty bad light bleeding and pink hue in the top right. Im just gonna wait a while. Sucks though, its a pretty awesome.

----------

Never said I was the luckiest person in the world, but I've had a Apple Store representative agree with me each time I've returned one, so yeah, its possible

12. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I had one for a few days, and it did have a yellow tint near the home button. I ignored it until yesterday, and then returned it. That one came from Walmart, and the price tag was dated for its launch day.....if that means anything. It was also priced at $629, and no amount of arguing with the night manager helped.

Try another store, like Best Buy. You never know. ;)

13. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Maybe these people being picky? Huey paid their hard earring cash for iPad, they have right the demand perfect product. If they find it does not make them comfort, what is wrong for them to ask return multiple times?

I returned my iPad 2 four times before for wifi connection problem. Yes, problem happens....

14. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I buy lots of gadgets, Samsung, Amazon, Blackberry, HTC. Only ever have screen issues with Apple products. So I'm afraid it's Apple. No idea why. Bugs me something rotten.

15. Charliebird, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Sometimes you just have to throw in the towel. I had a similar experience purchasing an iMac right after the LED iMac's first came out. After a while I think I lost my objectivity and wasn't going to be happy anything. So I bought a Dell computer and have been super happy with it ever since then. A couple years later I went back to Apple to purchase several iPad's and iPhone's. So do yourself a favor and go buy yourself a Nexus 7 or something similar and sit this generation of iPad's out.

16. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

1. Are you saying that the rest of don't work hard for the money we spend on Apple products?

2. Are you saying the rest of us settle for less than a perfect product?

I think those answers are obvious. We all spend our hard earned money and expect a perfect product.

Does Apple have a product slip through QC occasionally? Sure every company has that problem.

Then the common denominator becomes the OP's expectations and his perception of a defective product. I'm saying the odds of any one individual continually receiving a bad product are too astronomical to calculate.

17. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

That does not mean it won't happen. I personally gone through 4 iPad 2 for the wifi problem. Not as much as OP, but surely a lot.

18. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Get Life ;)

19. mripadmini macrumors regular

I kept my first generation iPad mini because I knew that the Retina display, and the 64 bit was going to cause me more problems then it's worth.

20. Afluffykitten macrumors member

It took me 4 tries to get a good mini. But my god, it's a thing of beauty when you get a good one without a yellow screen. Keep going. You can find one.

21. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I kept my iPad mini, too but not for the reasons you listed. I gave mine to my wife. To forego the rMini because of the retina display and 64 bit chip is to deny yourself a rewarding experience. There is nothing wrong with either.

But at least one of the following statements IS correct.

If you like you doctor you can keep him period.

If you like you mini you can keep it period.

22. sixrom macrumors 6502a

If you like dictators.... :eek:

23. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I don't think the crashing has to do with the device, but rather ios7. I have had crashes with iPad 3rd gen, iPhone 5s, and iPad mini retina of the sudden reboot variety, usually upon exiting an app. I'm sure an upcoming iOS update will fix this.

24. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I've bought 2 regular minis, a retina mini and 2 airs and none have had any screen "issues" as far as I can tell. I guess I must be extra lucky.