Ivybridge is cheaper

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonyisawesome, Nov 5, 2013.

1. sonyisawesome macrumors regular

Why would anyone get haswell with missing d-gpu for more price? Might as well get a laptop with complete specifications for lesser money.

2. Breedlove macrumors regular

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Core 2 Duo is cheaper
    and Core Solo is cheaper than that
    and PPC is cheaper than that
    need we go on?

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Get a good old 68000. Or if you are a PC guy, you may try a 386 DX. Very cheap these days.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Celeron FTW!!

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Heck, I've seen people give away computers with as high as PENTIUM 4s! No need to buy a new Mac at all!

----------

Having a pentium 2 and a celeron, I can vouch that these things are fast! (At least they were in their day :D)

7. Breedlove macrumors regular

I still have an IBM running MS-Dos in my basement somewhere...

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hey don't be hating on my Core 2 Duo! That baby kept churning the work ;) I still got my 1998 IBM Thinkpad too :D Kidding aside...I think Haswell is supieror but it was definitely overrated, probably from seeing the fricken name on MR popping up so much! I think the Ivybridge and Haswell rMBP's options are both great and applicable currently.

9. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, what are you waiting for? Put windows 8 on it! :D pretty cool though...

----------

Totally agreed. I'm running a C2D still, holding out for 2 more years, the next tick cycle. Anything from the past 2 or 3 years though is fairly current still though, they will hold up pretty well against haswells.

10. sonyisawesome thread starter macrumors regular

11. Breedlove macrumors regular

12. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I think the OP's point, assuming this isn't a troll post, is that Haswell isn't really much better, but still commands a price premium. I agree with him.

13. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I think OP's point is that a base 15" Haswell rMBP is $1999 while a base Ivy Bridge rMBP can be had for $1599. That's a 25% price increase for an actual regression in GPU performance. If GPU is important to you it absolutely makes no sense to pay a 25% price premium for worse performance.

The flippant, sarcastic comments about "Core 2 Duo is cheaper" or "Sandy Bridge is cheaper" aren't taking into account that the successors to Core 2 Duo and Sandy Bridge were still an improvement in every possible spec over their predecessors.

This is one of the rare situations where a current-generation was actually worse in some ways than the model it replaced.

14. Breedlove, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Breedlove macrumors regular

LOL

Sorry if you took offense to this, but I think you are assuming too much about our "flippant and sarcastic comments".

They were made in jest.

We're not ignorant of the marginal differences between the Ivy Bridge and Haswell models.

We just don't see the point in OP posting something as obvious and unproductive as this in the first place.

Also, the fact that you have to infer the OP's post kind of makes you wonder how useful the thread was to begin with, does it not? :p:p

15. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Respectfully, I disagree. I've noticed an awful lot of people, not just here but elsewhere, who seem to assume that "newer" = "better" on these things. Even some of the formal reviews seem to imply that's the case, which is just insane.

Putting aside the phrasing of the OP, it's still a useful dialogue to have.

16. koban4max macrumors 68000

17. sonyisawesome thread starter macrumors regular

Why would it be a troll post? Are people really defensive about apple products? I'm stating a fairly a logical post. I can tell number of people in this forum getting the last year's model because it's simply a more complete laptop for lesser money than late 15 base rmbp with premium price.

18. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Just found a set of color coded floppy discs, I almost through them away but I think they have "important" data on them :D :D Either way they'll make a nice piece of art in the future :p

You joke about putting Windows 8 on an old machine but my '98 Thinkpad is running XP Pro with its glorious 5GB hard drive and 128MB's of RAM...Haters gonna hate lol. I remember Handbrake encodes from DVD's used to take 24hours...that processor man...I wanna say it was a Pentium II? That sounds to current though lol.

But yeah anything Sandybridge tell now is perfectly fine, hell Core 2 Duo's at decent clock rates and Core 2 Quads are fine. I think if you sit on MR too long you'll end up with buyers regret even if you buy a maxed out machine every year! I try to enjoy my already VERY expensive machine (at least by everyone elses standards) knowing that if not currently or even last year someone had a similar or weaker machine and created amazing things. Reading about films being edited on baseline 2012 rMBP's is inspiring...sure I'd like maxed out machines but who wouldn't!

19. koban4max macrumors 68000

I miss 486 dx computer...playing leisure suit larry...

20. sabbyp macrumors regular

The cpu in my rMBP is a 2.6ghz i7 4960HQ, that's the fastest apple have ever put in a laptop. How does newer not = better in this case?

fyi I totally agree with you on the base models, but overall they've reduced the cost of entry, and of course the ivy bridge's are available from resellers if people really still want them.

21. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Obviously I was referring to the base models (2.4 Ivy Bridge vs 2.0 Haswell) and stock higher end model (2.7 Ivy Bridge vs 2.3 Haswell), and obviously that 2.6 Haswell breaks the records.

I'd argue a bit that the cost of entry didn't actually reduce, though. Before the keynote, you could get an Ivy Bridge from Amazon or other retailers for $1999. MSRP's not exactly a great benchmark.

All that said, sure, you do get 802.11ac and TB2, if you care about that stuff.

22. jz- macrumors regular

I suppose even if iGPUs overtake dGPUs in terms of performance, people like the OP are probably still going to complain, just because the idea that dGPU=good is so entrenched. If I'm not mistaken, Iris Pro is better than the 650M in some cases (OpenCL), and many people won't need the extra power.

23. Breedlove, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Breedlove macrumors regular

Not gonna lie but when someone bases their argument on the fact that a laptop is more "complete" if it has a dGPU then it seems an awful lot a troll post.

Your use of the term, "complete," is dangerously subjective. What is "complete" to you may not be what another person would consider to be "complete".

E.g. I am not "complete" without wearing underwear, whereas someone else might consider themselves to be "complete" in the nude. To avoid sounding like an idiot, I don't tell people (and especially not exhibitionists) that they might as well be more "complete" and put on a pair of whitey-tighteys. To do so would be unproductive if not counter-productive because at the very core, our definition of "complete" differs.

Also, are you really sure your post is "logical?" You ask a question (that really isn't a question) and then state your opinion as fact. There is no line of logic to follow here. The two sentences in your post are not logically linked to each other without making huge inferences to fill in the gaps.

The way you set up this thread (from what I can understand of it at least), anyone taking a stance would be defending an Apple product. To agree with you would be to defend the Ivy Bridge model, and to disagree with you could be defending the Haswell.
    Most of us have refrained from commenting on the difference between the two models. So, are people being defensive of Apple products in this thread? For the most part, no. We are just having fun (perhaps at your expense, but to be polite I'd rather not admit to this. Instead, let's just say that you enabled us to have a bit of fun)!

"I can tell number of people in this forum getting the last year's model because it's simply a more complete laptop for lesser money than late 15 base rmbp with premium price."
    So you HAVE read up on the forums.

If this is the case, then you have probably come across a ton of different reasons people have chosen the Haswell over the Ivy Bridge model.
    This, then, brings us back to your controversial use of the word, "complete." And this, my friend, could explain why they have chosen to pay more for their computers.

While you might find the Ivy Bridge model to be "complete" because of the dGPU, others might not need a dGPU. On the other hand, these people might have other needs (i.e.: someone might find the increased battery life to be a factor in the "completeness" of their laptop, etc).