Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hacker group The Odyssey Team has announced an upcoming jailbreak tool called "Cheyote" that will work with devices running iOS 15 for the first time.

ios-15-jailbreak-tool.jpg

Sharing the news on Reddit, one of the developers involved in the tool said the jailbreak itself is "making good progress" and should be rolled out to the jailbreaking community in the near future.

If the claims are true, that would mean some of Apple's latest devices like the iPhone 13 series and iPad mini 6 will be capable of being jailbroken for the first time, although there are still some limitations to do with OS versions.

According to the developers, the Cheyote tool will initially only work with iOS 15.0 to iOS 15.1.1, which was released in November last year. The group says they will continue to work to support versions up to iOS 15.4.1, but this is likely to take some time, since Apple has made the jailbreaking process a lot tougher in recent versions of its mobile operating system.

While jailbreaking removes restrictions and allows iOS device users to modify the software and side-load apps, it is a violation of Apple's End User License Agreement that every iOS user agrees to. While not illegal in the United States, due to an exemption in the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, jailbreaking also technically voids a device's warranty coverage.

Apple's cat-and-mouse game with the jailbreaking community has been ongoing for over a decade, with advancements in iOS security and added customization built into Apple's software having decreased interest in jailbreaking in recent years.

Article Link: Jailbreak for iOS 15 Close to Release, Claim Hackers

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
Finally; iOS 15 is the first iOS version to have not yet received a jailbreak for more than 300 days.
On another note, the name for this jailbreak is really bad imo

Reactions: rafark

Samplasion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2022
In the third panel, what on earth does the ‘set nonce’ button do?

I’m in England, I think that word has a very different meaning here…
It's useful to downgrade to older versions of iOS if you have blobs. A blob is a file containing the signature for the downgrade (Apple stops signing firmware after a while, as you probably may know), but in order to work it needs to have a value on the phone match with the value it has inside, which is the [ap]nonce.

Reactions: johnmarki

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Apple should get their cybersec teams to review it in detail to make sure they are able to mitigate this in the future versions of the iOS as usual. Hats off to the researchers and developers working on the jailbreak, a lot of analytical work, especially in the last a few years.

Scotty2Hotty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014

We've heard this before in the JB community. A Nonce ("Number-used-ONCE") is a randomly-generated number that is used to randomize the signed hash blobs (SHSH blobs) that Apple uses to sign firmwares.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Yeah, it def means something else to y'all.

Best I can tell, nonce has to do with communicating with Apple's servers after a restore. Maybe it protects your jailbreak if you have to restore, or allows you to restore back to the same iOS version after Apple stops signing it.

Looking at that screenshot, there isn't a set nonce button. Looks like a placeholder. Or maybe the switch appears once you switch "Restore to stock" on.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
iOS 15? I’m still running iOS 14 on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I was hoping it would say something like you can run iOS 15 on your iPhone 6. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: OS X Dude

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I was an avid jailbreaker back in the day, since redsn0w on iOS 6. I stopped at iOS 12. It became increasingly harder to find tweaks that I found useful, except Snapper (a snipping tool for iOS) and AppSync Unified to run sideloaded apps.

Although I still miss those, the benefits of jailbreaking now outweigh the disadvantages, such as decreased security and lack of QC for tweaks.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I recently jail breaked an iPhone 2G and downgraded it to iPhoneOS 1.0. The tools and solutions available to do so nearly 14 years ago were quite sophisticated. But you had to know what you were doing.

Reactions: Bacasable

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Could anyone chime in with any useful Jailbreak features this allows? I used to jailbreak my devices all the time, but these days pretty much all the stuff I'd want is now in iOS so I haven't bothered for a while. I'd be curious to know if there are any new killer app features that would make it worthwhile.
I get the feeling that a lot of jailbreak tweak developers have moved on with their lives and have stopped updating or creating tweaks. I would have to assume updates would be needed for everything.

I used some cosmetic tweaks in the past but I wouldn't consider jailbreaking for just those.

I bailed on my last jailbreak because it wouldn't work without disabling the passcode.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Could anyone chime in with any useful Jailbreak features this allows? I used to jailbreak my devices all the time, but these days pretty much all the stuff I'd want is now in iOS so I haven't bothered for a while. I'd be curious to know if there are any new killer app features that would make it worthwhile.
On my phone I only have it for hiding the Home Bar, displaying the battery percentage and using a Youtube app that removes ads and allows for background play.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I don’t understand the point
If you want heavily modifiable system why don’t you just use Android?
The main advantage of iOS is security and reliability and that’s because it’s a closed system heavily controlled by Apple,otherwise Android devices have similar /better hardware.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I haven't felt the desire, or need, to jailbreak in a few years, but I love that it's still alive!

Just out of curiosity: For those who are still involved in the JB scene, what are a few new tweaks that might make someone re-consider jailbreaking?

I'm virtually certain what I'm about to type is impossible (and for iPadOS, not iOS), but... Imagine having a tweak that lets you plug an M1 ipad into a monitor, and it switches from iPadOS to MacOS?! Now that would get my attention...

Reactions: foliovision

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Battery percentages on notched iPhones for one.

Home screen themes

Sideloading of apps Apple won't allow onto the App Store like retro game emulators

A better file browser

Custom notifications (Here's this Splat themed one for example. Perfect for Splatoon themed jailbroken iPhones)

LottieNotifications-GIF.gif

Proper adblockers unlike the crap ones on Safari

PiP for apps not supported

Better multitasking

And other quality of life additions Apple is too slow to add.

Course eventually we won't need jailbreaking anymore since with the Digital Markets Act now being EU law, soon Apple's gonna be forced to enable sideloading, which will open the door for even more useful modifications, and easier to setup too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.