Jet Black, Machining Irregularities?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snsking, Sep 26, 2016.

1. snsking macrumors 6502

snsking

I just received my jet black iPhone 7+ recently and I noticed that the casing seems to have some irregularities. I am not sure if these are exclusive to my phone, but I want to see if anyone else has them present on their 7+.

It seems that the grinding/polishing process wasn't smooth and jumped every few MM. It's noticeable in person but I am not sure if that's just the natural appearance of the 7+. I took some pics to show what I mean. Anyone else have this issue?

It is all over the sides of the rear casing where the LCD panel meets the lip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to capture it the best possible. I don't mind keeping it if thats the natural look, but I do want to see what Apple can do in the case that its not.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yours is obviously defective. Get it swapped out.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Interesting. I would, personally, contact Apple and at least let them know of your findings. If you can accept the flaws, then you could keep it, being it has no effect on the iPhone performance.

4. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

That looks pretty rough, if it's was mine for $1000 take it back get another one

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No way the OP should do that unless he/she wants to ruin its resale value down the line.

6. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Im most likely going to contact Apple and see what they can do. This might be the start of something to be aware about, especially after the article regarding quality check:

"Jet Black models suffer from a low casing production yield rate of 60-70%, meaning that 30-40% of units do not pass Apple's quality standards and must be retooled"

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/26/jet-black-low-production-yield/

7. zstern702 macrumors member

mine came with a nice s shaped scratch in it from factory.. at this point just happy to have the phone

8. snsking thread starter macrumors 6502

snsking

Not much luck in the chat as they can't receive pictures, but a supervisor will be calling tomorrow

9. Classic_Mac macrumors newbie

Classic_Mac

I would really not be happy if it were my phone. I would try to request an express replacement since stores likely don't have any yet. Good luck!

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Which is exactly why I stated 'If the the OP can accept the flaws', meaning understanding and realizing the iPhone has a specific flaw, and their comfortable with that, then they can choose to keep it. And being I advised to contact Apple in the least, they would offer a replacement device, being in its Apple's policy return window.

Try not to over-read into posts, but I am more than happy to explain my reasoning to you.

11. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

This is why Apple needs to switch to ceramic casing.

12. bizack macrumors 6502

Mine has the exact same thing.

13. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

When you have a mirror finish it's going to show every irregularity.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

A lot of forum members seem to think ceramic may be a future possibility. I can only imagine the popularity with a new casing if it's a possibility.

15. shshxiaojing macrumors newbie

shshxiaojing

16. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Hard to say from photos to be certain but that definitely doesn't look like the finish Apple claims it should have. So, manufacturing defect, go into a store and get it swapped if you can. Or get someone on support who knows what they're talking about, they're usually pretty good.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    That it will, but out of the box it should match up to Apples description of the device and finish.

17. immx macrumors member

immx

I have the 4.7" JB and mine is nothing like that. I know it's comparing a plus to a non plus, but that doesn't look right to me.

18. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

Just received mine and it looks like this as well. You don't see it unless the phone is under direct light so it's not really a big deal to me. If it becomes I problem I'll just get it replaced in like half a year once the demand dies down.

19. bizack macrumors 6502

I just spoke with Apple - they insist (without seeing photos) that it's cosmetic damage from the user. After some back and forth finally was sent a link to upload some images. Between the difficulty getting a phone through the IUP and this I'd have to say this is the worst purchasing experience of an Apple product I've had.

20. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Given how there's a new Apple Watch that utilizes ceramic and with the possibility of wireless charging, I can say that it's a decent prediction.

Then again, if they have trouble getting out a new color way, I wonder what delays a new material would present.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And jack up the price of iPhone by $600 or so (the price differential between stainless steel AW and ceramic AW Edition). Don't think so.

Latest actual rumors (not just some forum members' pipe dream) suggest a return to glass body.

22. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

ouch. If I were you I would use that comment about cosmetic damage against them for a free case or something because when they see your pictures they are going to see that they have got it massively wrong.

23. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but wouldn't a ceramic phone shatter relatively easily? I mean it would be shattered glass backs all over again.

Also that looks like glue to me.

24. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

In terms of generic hardness, its pretty hard. Harder than steel.

25. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If Ceramic does happen, there would be shortages for months and months. And what would be the difference in producing Ceramic, say compared to aluminum? I think the cost factors would be the scariest part.